IGNORED

Ntsc games on pal 2600

gooner73

if you want to play NTSC games with correct colors you'll need a NTSC Atari 2600.

I think most european TVs do not accept NTSC signals correctly. I have no personal experience but I think either the colors or the sound will be missing. Only if you can find a TV that has a NTSC tuner built in or butcher the system for A/V mod.

I think most european TVs do not accept NTSC signals correctly. I have no personal experience but I think either the colors or the sound will be missing. Only if you can find a TV that has a NTSC tuner built in or butcher the system for A/V mod.

You're right, I forgot to mention that the TV must accept the NTSC signal too. Unless you have a multistandard model, a PAL TV won't tune the NTSC signal correctly from RF. Anyway a lot of PAL TVs can decode composite or s-video NTSC through A/V inputs. In that case you just need to mod the console for A/V output.

Edited by alex_79

Most more modern TVs accept NTSC and PAL. But not all. However, they all should be fine with "PAL-60".

Please, do not mislead people by statements like this. Most European modern TVs do not accept NTSC RF signal that is coming out of Atari 2600 correctly! You need a multistandard model that has a NTSC tuner! Or you need to modify the console to output composite video.

I think there is a bit of confusion here between:

1) Using NTSC Carts on a PAL machine on a PAL TV.

and

2) Using an NTSC Machine on a PAL TV

From what I understand (1) will work as long as you can use PAL 60, but you'll get some incorrect colours and (2) won't work unless you can receive an NTSC signal.

I think there is a bit of confusion here between:

1) Using NTSC Carts on a PAL machine on a PAL TV.

and

2) Using an NTSC Machine on a PAL TV

From what I understand (1) will work as long as you can use PAL 60, but you'll get some incorrect colours and (2) won't work unless you can receive an NTSC signal.

Yes, I agree with that 100%.

Most more modern TVs accept NTSC and PAL. But not all. However, they all should be fine with "PAL-60".

Please, do not mislead people by statements like this. Most European modern TVs do not accept NTSC RF signal that is coming out of Atari 2600 correctly! You need a multistandard model that has a NTSC tuner! Or you need to modify the console to output composite video.

You are right, I'm sorry! I was thinking about composite signals rather than RF. Composite usually works, though.

• 4 years later...

if my 2600 is modded to composite and is playing on a new lcd tv will i still encounter the colour changes in games on my pal system if playing ntsc games ? i am really interested to know and also to know if there are ways to get around the colour differences if they will still exist. for example is there a passthrough cart or suchlike to regionalise the games ? thanks in advance for any help !

if my 2600 is modded to composite and is playing on a new lcd tv will i still encounter the colour changes in games on my pal system if playing ntsc games ? i am really interested to know and also to know if there are ways to get around the colour differences if they will still exist. for example is there a passthrough cart or suchlike to regionalise the games ? thanks in advance for any help !

The color-palettes of NTSC and PAL consoles are different, therefore PAL-games on NTSC-consoles shows wrong colors and the same happens with NTSC-games on PAL-consoles. Best thing you can do is, buy a Harmony-cartridge and look here in the forum for PAL60-versions (rom-images) of the games. These PAL60-versions have the speed from the NTSC-versions, the bigger NTSC-screen (no borders up/down) and the colors adapted for PAL-consoles.

Edited by AW127

The color-palettes of NTSC and PAL consoles are different, therefore PAL-games on NTSC-consoles shows wrong colors and the same happens with NTSC-games on PAL-consoles. Best thing you can do is, buy a Harmony-cartridge and look here in the forum for PAL60-versions (rom-images) of the games. These PAL60-versions have the speed from the NTSC-versions, the bigger NTSC-screen (no borders up/down) and the colors adapted for PAL-consoles.

thanks for that information mate it is very helpful i just wish i could get a harmony cart now but if my messages and mails don't get answered i am unsure about sending any money to the paypal just yet ! hopefully they will get back to me soon it's only been a week or so but still i would have hoped to have heard something by now !

From my experience NTSC games play fine on a PAL system, the only thing is the colors are different, and the games are slightly faster. I've never had any vertical hold scrolling or glitches in the games themselves.

As for an NTSC system on a PAL tv (or a PAL tv that can automatically adjust to NTSC Hz) the picture tunes in, but its not very good.

I have a NTSC sears telegames and an Atari 2600 Pal system. Both are composite modded. I also have a Harmony cartridge which has two seperate folders with NTSC and PAL games. Both systems work fantastic with the harmony cart. Although the menu on the NTSC console is red instead of green on the PAL. As they are both modded, I don't have any trouble tuning. I would highly recommend getting a modded console, you wont look back. The PAL machine will play the NTSC games but with wrong colours and sometimes wrong speed. The NTSC machine plays PAL binaries but with weird colour lines displayed. This way I get the best of both worlds. I think the NTSC games display better and tend to play better also. Nice colours and perfectly timed. PAL colours always seem a little washed out even after adjusting the pots. Anyway thats my tuppence.

• 1 year later...

(necrobump, but not as bad as my previous ones thankfully)

I'm actually wondering about the opposite. Klax wasn't made for the Atari 2600 here in America, and I'm thinking about collecting every final game (like BotW on the Wii U, Wario's Woods on the NES, etc.) for each console we have.