U-235 SoundEngine released!

77 replies to this topic

#76 sh3-rg OFFLINE  

sh3-rg

River Patroller

• 2,106 posts
  • absent

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:22 AM

When you've got musicians the calibre of 5o5, 2 tracks are sometimes enough :0)

Supporting >4 channels might be an impressive tick in a check box on a list of features, but game designers mostly just want the sound side of things to be as lightweight and efficient as possible and "sufficient" is usually good enough. Having the effects supported 100% is also more desirable than just a bit more of everything so that's what most will vote for before extending capabilities beyond what the musicians are already producing.

When I used 16+ channel trackers before on pretty restricted 20 year old hardware, the compromise on sound quality wasn't exactly massive but it gobbled up too much resources. I'd hate to think what would be left of the Jaguar playing 16+ channels of music plus in-game SFX. It wouldn't suit every game that's for sure :0)

#77 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,300 posts

Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:04 AM

When I get some time I do plan to add in support for other formats, just not got much time at the moment to do much of anything code related.  All things in time I guess :D

sh3, I don't think you have pushed him adequately.. although I wouldn't be surprised if he did some win magic with a 0 channel mod! :D  The guy is a musical wizzard (he deserves the extra 'z') :D

#78 Chilly Willy OFFLINE  

Chilly Willy

Dragonstomper

• 553 posts

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:39 PM

When you've got musicians the calibre of 5o5, 2 tracks are sometimes enough :0)

Supporting >4 channels might be an impressive tick in a check box on a list of features, but game designers mostly just want the sound side of things to be as lightweight and efficient as possible and "sufficient" is usually good enough. Having the effects supported 100% is also more desirable than just a bit more of everything so that's what most will vote for before extending capabilities beyond what the musicians are already producing.

When I used 16+ channel trackers before on pretty restricted 20 year old hardware, the compromise on sound quality wasn't exactly massive but it gobbled up too much resources. I'd hate to think what would be left of the Jaguar playing 16+ channels of music plus in-game SFX. It wouldn't suit every game that's for sure :0)

Yes, more than 16 channels is too much for older consoles... unless ALL you are doing is playing music. But 8 should be good, which is why that's what my MOD player code handles. Even with XM, it's pretty rare to need more than 12 channels unless the XM is meant as music for listening, not for games.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users