IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

So pledging $ 10 you get the ROM and manual and Stella emulator (oh links to DL) or 100 for a Harmony ( I mean a Flash Programmable cart )and

Star Castle rom w/ CD hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Think I'll put the money towards cd-w's Cart when its ready, and I aleady have a Harmony and Stella emulator

Won't distributing it with Stella mean it has to be GPL?

Stella is GPL v2. The game is not derived from and does not incorporate the Stella source so it is not under the same license... but all the source to Star Castle is on the CD so it will be out there if the Kickstarter is successful.

Edited by solidcorp

Although I'm not involved with the project and don't endorse or condemn it, I can answer this part. Just because something is placed on the same CD as Stella doesn't mean that something has to released under the GPL. The only why the GPL enters into things is if it were somehow coded into Stella itself. For example, if the ROM code were put inside the Stella codebase, then it would have to be released under the GPL too. That won't be the case here, I assume.

So pledging $ 10 you get the ROM and manual and Stella emulator (oh links to DL) or 100 for a Harmony ( I mean a Flash Programmable cart )and

Star Castle rom w/ CD hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Think I'll put the money towards cd-w's Cart when its ready, and I aleady have a Harmony and Stella emulator

You left out the $50 clear flashing cartridge, or $100 clear flashing cartridge sealed in a box with a manual, both prices include include shipping.

Sounds like a good plan, I assume most people here at Atari Age will already have everything they need to play any game and if you'd prefer to play Chris's modern version that's fine with me.

I'll probably be saying this a lot... cd-w and I did different games for different reasons and have differing resulting products, mine runs in straight 8K cartridge and could have been released in 1981 - Chris's is a fully featured modern homebrew. I think they compliment each other more than compete, and at the technical implementation level they are both very interesting.

Edited by solidcorp

Although I'm not involved with the project and don't endorse or condemn it, I can answer this part. Just because something is placed on the same CD as Stella doesn't mean that something has to released under the GPL. The only why the GPL enters into things is if it were somehow coded into Stella itself. For example, if the ROM code were put inside the Stella codebase, then it would have to be released under the GPL too. That won't be the case here, I assume.

No worries - I find this stuff quite confusing.

fwiw - this is the part that got me:

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

What I missed was:

In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under the scope of this License.

Glad I don't have to deal with any of this licensing stuff!

Well, at least the price is now reasonable. 10.00 for the ROM. Or 50.00 for a cartridge.

As for becoming the most valuable cartridge in VCS history? Air Raiders holds the title, making a sale at 41k, right?

I could see the game selling as a collectible in 20 years or something. for 30k.. But not right away, not in this economic climate.

And that's provided its a one-of-a-kind, so any modern-day release of it in any quantity will lessen the collector value.

Edited by Keatah

Well, at least the price is now reasonable. 10.00 for the ROM. Or 50.00 for a cartridge.

Is that what it is now - $50?

As for becoming the most valuable cartridge in VCS history? Air Raiders holds the title, making a sale at 41k, right?

I think you meant Air Raid

Air Raid Wikipedia entry: "On April 10, 2010 the only complete game (cartridge and box) known to still exist sold for $31,600"

I thought the $41k was either for the Nintendo game or was the auction price for Air Raid that was ultimately not paid.

Yes Air Raid - that's right.

Also, I like the $10 and $50 options. You get the most bang for your buck. But for me being an emulator junkie, the $10 option looks nice! Very very nice. I'd love to see other homebrew games with similar pricing structures.

Scott, do I get the rom and manual right away? Or do we have to wait till the project it fully funded?

Yes Air Raid - that's right.

Also, I like the $10 and $50 options. You get the most bang for your buck. But for me being an emulator junkie, the $10 option looks nice! Very very nice. I'd love to see other homebrew games with similar pricing structures.

Scott, do I get the rom and manual right away? Or do we have to wait till the project it fully funded?

Thanks Keatah, the project has to be fully funded.

Nothing will happen until 5/24, but the CD and DL options will happen really quick after that, that is if the Kickstarter is successful.

(snip; question already answered)

I will confess to being a little apprehensive when I saw this was going to be a Kickstarter project, but, I'm willing to give it a shot. I think $10,000 may be a little too high of an aim, but I certainly can't fault the rewards being offered, nor the prices they're being offered at. And if 200 people actually are willing to pledge for a cartridge, or more, then as far as I'm concerned Scott will have well-earned the 10K.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Why such a short timeframe of 1 month? I would have suggested a 3-month span. But we shall see!

10,000 is a reasonable and deserved goal considering everything.

I just think it's going to take time to filter down through the ranks. There are folks out here that may not be up-to-date on the happenings with the project. For example, they could be in jail or hospital. Or they could be on a nuclear sub paying attention to more important things like reactor status.

And they may need to save up! Even for the basic rom & manual offering.

Edited by Keatah

I wonder what flash cart he is talking about... :ponder:

Harmony.

So its a full fledged Harmony cart with a clear shell and blinking lights?

For $50, I'd buy one of those!

Let me set this straight. Think of a flash-based programmable board of my design with similar technology to the Melody board, but probably not specifically a Melody. No SD card, no USB, just the game on the board, in the clear shell. However, there should be no problem with blikenlights...

From http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/698159145/atari-2600-star-castle

Pledge $50 or more -

Clear cast acrylic Star Castle cartridge featuring lights that flash with the game action!
Serial numbered. Compatible with Atari 2600 Video Computer System (NTSC only). Plus YOUR NAME in the "Contributors" section of the game manual (text subject to approval). Plus you get the Star Castle 2600 CD containing ROMs, emulator, source code, artwork, videos, pictures links, and much much more. Printed box and manual not included.

Pledge $100 or more

Star Castle ROM on a FLASH cartridge that works in your Atari 2600 game system.
The cartridge may not have flashing lights but it is reprogrammable. You can hook it to your computer and change the game in it, or using an SD card (not provided) you can put ALL your Atari games onto one cartridge! Power up your Atari 2600, select the game you want to play from a menu, and play it on a TV with a real game controller the way it was meant to be played. Plus you get the Star Castle 2600 CD containing ROMs, emulator, source code, artwork, videos, pictures links, and much much more.

Pledge $100 or more

Autographed
clear Star Castle cartridge with lights that flash with the game action sealed in a reproduction box with a the printed manual
. Compatible with Atari 2600 Video Computer System (NTSC only). Plus YOUR NAME in the "Contributors" section of the game manual (text subject to approval). Plus you get the Atari 2600 Star Castle CD that contains the ROM, emulator for Windows, Mac, and Linux, source code, artwork, and much much more.

Only the middle one is a Harmony cartridge, all the other cartridge offerings are are dedicated Star Castle cartridges, neither Harmony nor Melody.

Ok just to clear up the clear up - if you buy the $100 edition you get a fully functional Harmony cartridge in a clear shell with blinking lights - correct?

Sorry, no, that would be cool but...

One $100 option is a pre-programmed stock Harmony cartridge in a dark shell with no lights. ("The cartridge may not have flashing lights but it is reprogrammable.")

The other $100 option is a dedicated Star Castle cartridge with flashing lights in a clear acrylic shell.

I just added "Harmony" to the description of the FLASH cartridge and changed the beginning of the FLASH cartridge pledge text to read: "Star Castle ROM on a Harmony FLASH cartridge that works in your Atari 2600 game system. The black cartridge may not have flashing lights but it is reprogrammable..."