IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

Just have to say I think this has turned out really well, it looks like it's selling like hotcakes! $6,000 and counting! It's gone from a sales model that I really didn't like to an interesting new one - I wonder if any other homebrew authors will be tempted to follow suit?

I just noticed this section:

a portion of all CD proceeds will be donated to the Stella project to promote continued development.

Something I definitely support - I think it's easy for developers to forget how much they depend on some of the excelent tools that have been developed over recent years, and it's great that Stella and Stephen will benefit from this, so a big +1 to scott from me.

it's interesting, if I knew about kickstar I would have definatly used for my own games if I get enough interest in my two games a third one might be possible and I might use it.

The pricing model is good. At first I thought it ridiculous to have so many options, but only for a minute.

This is good, because it allows you to pick and choose just how much you want to spend and still enjoy the game.

For me it would simply be a rom and the pdf manual. I have absolutely ZERO desire to clutter the area with more cartridges and crap.

Hopefully other homebrew authors will follow suit with this.. Another good candidate would be Roland P's upcoming Ballblazer.

And perhaps we're seeing a new renaissance in VCS markething. I wonder what Atari thinks, and what other homebrewers are thinking? Fer'sure though the old model of selling homebrews is dead as far as I'm concerned.

it's interesting, if I knew about kickstar I would have definatly used for my own games if I get enough interest in my two games a third one might be possible and I might use it.

Well, you could take your existing games and offer special editions of them like sc is doing. Include extras and rom options. You're kickstarting phase two, that's all!

Additionally, I, personally, don't like 1-offs and special editions, when it's gone it's gone type of things, as the only way of acquiring something. "Lesser" versions are just fine. Like the rom options and a cd.

Kickstart yourself a CD edition of whatever you made previously.

Edited by Keatah

Well, you could take your existing games and offer special editions of them like sc is doing. Include extras and rom options. You're kickstarting phase two, that's all!

Additionally, I, personally, don't like 1-offs and special editions, when it's gone it's gone type of things, as the only way of acquiring something. "Lesser" versions are just fine. Like the rom options and a cd.

Having a ROM and emulator option is a great idea for a Kickstarter. Many of us have a real 2600, but the rest of the world... not so many. Having an arcade classic, even if not incredibly popular, and an Atari badge doesn't hurt either.

I just have carts an manuals but I can prob add some Posters I made for VGS good idea thanks.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

Things to include would be buttons, patches, jackets, coffee cups, teabags. Those water-inflated-swelling fish type things. The sponges that expand. model some of the game elements. T-shirts, hats. candy, posters, mousepads. Surely zazzle or some other small-time operation could help make it practical.

This goes for ANY game marketed through kickstart. And you'll need to gussy it up with things like interviews and source codes and pictures of the development station.

Edited by Keatah

I just noticed this section:

a portion of all CD proceeds will be donated to the Stella project to promote continued development.

Something I definitely support - I think it's easy for developers to forget how much they depend on some of the excelent tools that have been developed over recent years, and it's great that Stella and Stephen will benefit from this, so a big +1 to scott from me.

And thanks in advance for any donations I may receive.

This is going to happen!!!

100% funding in under 4 days!

Over 100 cartridges so far and climbing steadily.

Star Castle 2600 also appeared on engaget this morning http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/27/star-castle-atari-2600/

Thanks to everyone who helped support the project by contributing or spreading the word!

Knowing that it will be successful this early puts me way ahead of schedule and hopefully that will translate to being able to release the CD's and cartridges sooner. <fingers crossed>

Thanks again,

Scott

• Like 2

I think one of the factors contributing to the success of this project—it's been played up in a lot of the coverage I've seen—is that Mr. Williamson is an Atari alumnus who has undertaken a new game for one of Atari's classic systems. That gives this project more of a novelty factor than an ordinary homebrew project undertaken by an ordinary hobbyist. I wonder if the success of Star Castle could prompt other Atari alumni to finish some of their long-running projects; someone should forward this to Dave Comstock and see if he wants to start a Kickstarter campaign for his unfinished Cloak & Dagger port for the 5200, for example.

If I jump in, I would like a cart and manual, nothing else. How would I proceed? $50 for the cart and stuff is OK, but I really like documentaion, but $100 for the box and everything is getting over my limits for a niche item.

Also, is there a cap on quantity?

I think one of the factors contributing to the success of this project—it's been played up in a lot of the coverage I've seen—is that Mr. Williamson is an Atari alumnus who has undertaken a new game for one of Atari's classic systems. That gives this project more of a novelty factor than an ordinary homebrew project undertaken by an ordinary hobbyist. I wonder if the success of Star Castle could prompt other Atari alumni to finish some of their long-running projects; someone should forward this to Dave Comstock and see if he wants to start a Kickstarter campaign for his unfinished Cloak & Dagger port for the 5200, for example.

I think this is totally true, and other homebrewers should remember that his unique story is a big part of the success. I doubt Kickstarter is just going to be a path to success for any old homebrew, 2600 or otherwise. You will have to do something more unique than merely a new game to reach this kind of success -- it might be a bundle of related games, or a new property tie-in, or a real 2600 as an incentive. Food for thought.