IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

for me a big reason to get this version of star castle (and eventually get cdws because I'm a collection whore,) is the custom graphic screen which will allow me to do a KDK initial monogram as an homage to the unfound apollo monogram carts :-)

as far as the custom title screen goes, does it replace the existing screen? If so, when the project is funded, can I have that screen to augment it? It would be neat if the star castle title could be kept in addition to the custom screen, but I understand if it can't. on an un-related (ish,) note, I love 2600 gradients, can the title screen be done in a moving green gradient on the custom cart? :) (I know, give em an inch....)

The custom screen is a static monochrome bitmap that replaces the title screen. If you like I can provide you the existing bitmap to modify; as a matter of fact, that's probably the best way to do it. Thanks.

Your ideas are cool but It has to fit in the same cartridge ROM space and use basically the same code.

I believe it could have been done then. And that HSW is correct, that it would have sucked. They didn't have the tools or library of trix that had been developed over the years.

Same shit with pac-man of the time, and the recent hacks and re-writes we have today. Same thing. Could be done, was done, but today's versions are so much better due to the collective experience gained over the years.

• Like 1

Per the marketing on the kickstarter site, I talked to Howard Scott Warshaw and he had the following to say:

"It is interesting that they keep quoting me as saying it couldn't be done, but I never said that. I said it would suck."

...yet Warshaw came out with Yars Revenge. IMO, about as plain a game as it gets. I'd much rather play this version of Star Castle than Yars, but hey, that's just me. Can't take anything away from Yars at it was such a good seller, but I just didn't like it.

I disagree, I see Yars Revenge as a pivotal product that within 4K offered a new level of originality, gameplay, and game quality. It offered 4 variations of 1 and 2 player gameplay and he still managed to squeeze his initials into the game as one of the first easter eggs. It really raised the bar showing what was capable on the 2600, and I really enjoyed playing it because it had a real arcade feel. I didn't discover the connection to Star Castle until 2008, and I'm sure that Star Castle 2600 would not have been nearly as successful if it were developed instead of Yars Revenge. That's just my personal opinion.

I just find it funny he (member atarilovesyou) says he would "much rather" play your Star Castle than Yars Revenge, no offense, I'm sure your Star Castle is great and all but for someone to have never even played it and say they would "much rather" play it over Yars means they really have to hate Yars, lol. I mean unless he has played yours already?

Either way it's kind of a moot point since they are two entirely different games :)

How do you know I haven't played it? :) How do you know I haven't played CD-W's? I didn't have to play Medievel Mayhem before buying it to know that I'd enjoy it far more than Warlords. I'd much rather play just about any version of Star Castle over Yars, that's my personal opinion and it can be as preconceived as I wish...ah, the joys of opinions, oh what a world :grin: !

For me, Yars was a boring concept. It bored me back then, it bores me today.

Star Castle's theme is what I really like; vector graphics, the whole Asteroids control scheme but with an objective. As an arcade game, it got a lot more difficult before it could get too boring. When I watched the video on youtube where the guy is using the same screen-wrap boucing technique, I realized that was the equivalent to hunting the small saucer in Asteroids: you 'could' do it, but I have more fun just playing the game without that trick.

Wait a second, why am I explaining all this to you?....I HAVE FUNYUNS TO EAT, now excuse me, if you please :grin:

I believe it could have been done then. And that HSW is correct, that it would have sucked. They didn't have the tools or library of trix that had been developed over the years.

Same shit with pac-man of the time, and the recent hacks and re-writes we have today. Same thing. Could be done, was done, but today's versions are so much better due to the collective experience gained over the years.

It didn't have to suck in 8K, though it would probably have in 4 (my ring kernel takes 2.5k - 3k I think).

PAC-MAN was full of tricks - it was done nearly overnight in 2K - Fry repeatedly asked for more memory to make the game better. Check out the Once Upon Atari documentary.

I just find it funny he (member atarilovesyou) says he would "much rather" play your Star Castle than Yars Revenge, no offense, I'm sure your Star Castle is great and all but for someone to have never even played it and say they would "much rather" play it over Yars means they really have to hate Yars, lol. I mean unless he has played yours already?

Either way it's kind of a moot point since they are two entirely different games :)

How do you know I haven't played it? :) How do you know I haven't played CD-W's? I didn't have to play Medievel Mayhem before buying it to know that I'd enjoy it far more than Warlords. I'd much rather play just about any version of Star Castle over Yars, that's my personal opinion and it can be as preconceived as I wish...ah, the joys of opinions, oh what a world :grin: !

Star Castle's theme is what I really like; vector graphics, the whole Asteroids control scheme but with an objective. As an arcade game, it got a lot more difficult before it could get too boring. When I watched the video on youtube where the guy is using the same screen-wrap boucing technique, I realized that was the equivalent to hunting the small saucer in Asteroids: you 'could' do it, but I have more fun just playing the game without that trick.

Wait a second, why am I explaining all this to you?....I HAVE FUNYUNS TO EAT, now excuse me, if you please :grin:

I'm not really sure what you are trying to drive home here? All I said is you must really hate Yars to like a game you have not played yet more and I find that funny. Your response pretty much agrees with me except you don't find it funny? What are you explaining to me? That I shouldn't find it funny?

How do you know I haven't played it?

I don't and already said that in my post (see below)

I mean unless he has played yours already?

:D

I didn't have to play Medievel Mayhem before buying it to know that I'd enjoy it far more than Warlords.

Well, I also find that funny and if I could shoot back in time to when development was first started on MM and nobody had played it yet I probably would have said...

I just find it funny he (member atarilovesyou) says he would "much rather" play your Medieval Mayhem than Warlords, no offense, I'm sure your MM is great and all but for someone to have never even played it and say they would "much rather" play it over Warlords means they really have to hate Warlords, lol. I mean unless he has played yours already?

I'd much rather play just about any version of Star Castle over Yars, that's my personal opinion and it can be as preconceived as I wish...ah, the joys of opinions, oh what a world :grin: !

Again, not sure what your trying to drive home here? That was pretty much my point? (see below)

means they really have to hate Yars

and I don't think you disagree with me on that?

I am not even sure what you are explaining to me? Funyuns sound like a much better idea, maybe just skip ahead to that next time :D

this :P

I'm not really sure what you are trying to drive home here? All I said is you must really hate Yars to like a game you have not played yet more and I find that funny. Your response pretty much agrees with me except you don't find it funny? What are you explaining to me? That I shouldn't find it funny?

How do you know I haven't played it?

I don't and already said that in my post (see below)

I mean unless he has played yours already?

I didn't have to play Medievel Mayhem before buying it to know that I'd enjoy it far more than Warlords.

Well, I also find that funny and if I could shoot back in time to when development was first started on MM and nobody had played it yet I probably would have said...

I just find it funny he (member atarilovesyou) says he would "much rather" play your Medieval Mayhem than Warlords, no offense, I'm sure your MM is great and all but for someone to have never even played it and say they would "much rather" play it over Warlords means they really have to hate Warlords, lol. I mean unless he has played yours already?

I'd much rather play just about any version of Star Castle over Yars, that's my personal opinion and it can be as preconceived as I wish...ah, the joys of opinions, oh what a world :grin: !

Again, not sure what your trying to drive home here? That was pretty much my point? (see below)

means they really have to hate Yars

and I don't think you disagree with me on that?

I am not even sure what you are explaining to me? Funyuns sound like a much better idea, maybe just skip ahead to that next time :D

this :P

How dare you quote your own quotes while quoting me! Shocking!...here, have some Funyuns ;-) :thumbsup: .

I don't 'hate' Yars, I just didn't like it and said so. Not sure why this is so hard for you to wrap your head around.

I don't think it's a stretch to know I'd prefer to play this version of Star Castle than a game I know I don't like (Yars)...I know what I like, what can I say?

I think part of the Yars dislike comes from the theme. Being a fly, eating a wall...after the third screen, I was pretty much done with Yars. Maybe I'll fire it up and give it another chance this weekend.

It's kinda like ROTLA, I think. When I think about when that game came out and what they were trying to do, it's a masterpiece (especially considering it was done on a VCS). But when I played it the first time in the early 90s, I was stunned by how 'bad' I thought it was. No instructions, no real action...I did figure out the two controller thing on my own but after watching the awesome commercials for that game in the 80s, I was expecting much more. And since I also didn't 'get' Adventure (a game that is pretty much loved and respected amongst more Atari fans), I couldn't really 'get' ROTLA. And I can see why (in retrospect) Yars would have been considered quite ground-breaking, but it's also got lots of action.

But I just didn't like it. And I know I'll like Star Castle (either version, really). Nothing to explain, really.

Have you ordered your copy off Kickstarter yet? Not much longer now! :thumbsup:

How dare you quote your own quotes while quoting me! Shocking!...here, have some Funyuns ;-) :thumbsup: .

I don't 'hate' Yars, I just didn't like it and said so. Not sure why this is so hard for you to wrap your head around.

I don't think it's a stretch to know I'd prefer to play this version of Star Castle than a game I know I don't like (Yars)...I know what I like, what can I say?

I think part of the Yars dislike comes from the theme. Being a fly, eating a wall...after the third screen, I was pretty much done with Yars. Maybe I'll fire it up and give it another chance this weekend.

It's kinda like ROTLA, I think. When I think about when that game came out and what they were trying to do, it's a masterpiece (especially considering it was done on a VCS). But when I played it the first time in the early 90s, I was stunned by how 'bad' I thought it was. No instructions, no real action...I did figure out the two controller thing on my own but after watching the awesome commercials for that game in the 80s, I was expecting much more. And since I also didn't 'get' Adventure (a game that is pretty much loved and respected amongst more Atari fans), I couldn't really 'get' ROTLA. And I can see why (in retrospect) Yars would have been considered quite ground-breaking, but it's also got lots of action.

But I just didn't like it. And I know I'll like Star Castle (either version, really). Nothing to explain, really.

I still can't tell if you are being friendly or on the offensive...

Not sure why this is so hard for you to wrap your head around.

Statements like that make me feel it's the offensive..so I have decided I am just going to put you on pseudo troll status, pending wedgie list approval :D

Now, wedgie approval doesn't happen overnight so if infact you are being friendly the panel of experts will determine this and you will NOT achieve wedgie list approval. Any record of your pending status will be erased so you will be free to live a normal life.

If the paperwork is approved you may still recieve an appeal by yelling "UNCLE" moments before the wedgie in question is delivered. Please state UNCLE in an audible manner, if english is not your first language we have other choices available so please make it known after your wedgie approval message is sent. If your appeal is denied please refrain from begging or crying as it only makes it worse and CAN upgrade you to an atomic variation, if the "wedger" sees fit (and they usually do)

post-9102-0-49524500-1337713569_thumb.jpg

*DISCLAMER - My wedgie list is fictional, I do not actually have a "crew" that hunts people down and gives them wedgies. Please do not contact the mods in fear that I will give you a real wedgie (yes, this has actually happened) All actual wedgies (atomic or classic) you recieve from this date forward were purely coincidental and had nothing to do with me or the southside wedgie crew

*edit - except for Cebus, he really gets one :)

PAC-MAN was full of tricks - it was done nearly overnight in 2K - Fry repeatedly asked for more memory to make the game better. Check out the Once Upon Atari documentary.

Pac-Man was not rushed. It was on a normal development cycle of about 6 months, and the final version ended up being 4K.

Pac-Man was not rushed. It was on a normal development cycle of about 6 months, and the final version ended up being 4K.

I respectfully concede, and apologize.

I was repeating what I heard Rob Zdybel (with whom I worked at Atari) say in Once Upon Atari (Section 5 Chapter 2, 12:46 into the section) where he erroneously stated that Tod Frye made Pac-Man in 2K and begged for more ROM space.

Don't get me started on this now! It's bedtime! I've been up 26 hours and am getting quite strange in the head. And Monster drinks aren't helping much..

For example the high speed whizzings-by of the cars in Grand Prix is making me laugh uncontrollably! It's so wrong!

• Like 2

I still can't tell if you are being friendly or on the offensive...

Not sure why this is so hard for you to wrap your head around.

Statements like that make me feel it's the offensive..so I have decided I am just going to put you on pseudo troll status, pending wedgie list approval :D

Now, wedgie approval doesn't happen overnight so if infact you are being friendly the panel of experts will determine this and you will NOT achieve wedgie list approval. Any record of your pending status will be erased so you will be free to live a normal life.

If the paperwork is approved you may still recieve an appeal by yelling "UNCLE" moments before the wedgie in question is delivered. Please state UNCLE in an audible manner, if english is not your first language we have other choices available so please make it known after your wedgie approval message is sent. If your appeal is denied please refrain from begging or crying as it only makes it worse and CAN upgrade you to an atomic variation, if the "wedger" sees fit (and they usually do)

post-9102-0-49524500-1337713569_thumb.jpg

*DISCLAMER - My wedgie list is fictional, I do not actually have a "crew" that hunts people down and gives them wedgies. Please do not contact the mods in fear that I will give you a real wedgie (yes, this has actually happened) All actual wedgies (atomic or classic) you recieve from this date forward were purely coincidental and had nothing to do with me or the southside wedgie crew

*edit - except for Cebus, he really gets one :)

Dude, I just don't like Yars. But I do like Funyuns. That's all you need to know, really :) ...all other questions or queries can be forwarded to my good friend Janet Maddox Goree. Now THERE'S a lady! :grin:

Today is your last chance to order Star Castle 2600!

Less than 24 hours left before the Kickstarter campaign is over!

That was shameless.

On a cooler note, I've been talking to Ben Fry and he has agreed to do a distellamap of the game! That's very cool.

If you haven't seen them, check them out here: http://benfry.com/distellamap/

• Like 1

@solidcorp

Is there an eta on when those of us who did the download option will get a link?

Sorry, I didn't see this message until today...

I actually took a 5 day weekend to work on Star Castle exclusively and the download page is almost ready. I've been working on the production prep for Star Castle 2600 exclusively since last Thursday. It would have been done sooner except I ran into some snags on the Mac, but I got some pro help (THANKS!) and it should be good to go very soon.

The "Est. Delivery" is "May 2012" and you should expect an email very soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Scott