IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

One minor bit of praise for this thread by the way: I was playing Star Castle on my Vectrex last night and used the strategies shown in the various videos in this thread. I got farther in the game than I ever had before so thanks very much to the posters who showed how they play Star Castle!

I used to play it Asteroids-style where I remained mostly stationary and that's a one way ticket to death in this game. Now I know to fly around the screen as fast as I can as often as I can and had way better success.

What's the deal?

I don't get to play it yet because I pledged more!?

I'll get the cart and box and CD with the ROM and such a month and a half from now, but I can't download it now?

Higher pledge levels should get all the options that the lower pledge levels get.

• Like 3

What's the deal?

I'll get the cart and box and CD with the ROM and such a month and a half from now, but I can't download it now?

Higher pledge levels should get all the options that the lower pledge levels get.

Didn't you read the fine print? Complainers get nothing and he gets to keep your money.

• Like 2

I personally like hating on solidcorp. He's had the balls to run his own company and developed more titles than I'll ever dream of making myself. Trouble is he's always been responsive to my questions and lacks the attitude to piz me off. He needs more training as an Internet persona.

• Like 4

I personally like hating on solidcorp. He's had the balls to run his own company and developed more titles than I'll ever dream of making myself. Trouble is he's always been responsive to my questions and lacks the attitude to piz me off. He needs more training as an Internet persona.

Hahahahahaha!

• Like 1

What's the deal?

Good point, considering options...

• Like 4

I'm very confused with the Star Castle homebrew history. :?

I read the first thread which was locked and I understood all the situation.

And now this thread and the kickstarter thing...

Could someone, please, explain what is the current stage?

It seems solidcorp solved to build some cartridges after getting some donations with a kickstarter project.

Is he making cartridges and selling them? Did he change his mind and put the rom avaible? Did someone paid him what he wanted and decided to share the rom??? :?

Are there others programmer making another version of Star Castle for the 2600? :?

I'm very confused with the Star Castle homebrew history. :?

I read the first thread which was locked and I understood all the situation.

And now this thread and the kickstarter thing...

Could someone, please, explain what is the current stage?

It seems solidcorp solved to build some cartridges after getting some donations with a kickstarter project.

Is he making cartridges and selling them? Did he change his mind and put the rom avaible? Did someone paid him what he wanted and decided to share the rom??? :?

Are there others programmer making another version of Star Castle for the 2600? :?

This basically says it all:

http://www.armchaira...m/neo/node/4692

1. Solidcorp was only going to sell his version for $32,768 to one person.
    __
  2. The cd-w version was getting close to being finished.
    __
  3. The impending release of the cd-w version on cartridge seemed to scare solidcorp into selling his version to more than one person at a more affordable price so he'd be the first to 'market' and at least get part of that $32,768.

Now everyone is happy and collectors will eventually be able to own two versions of the game on cartridge.

• Like 2

CD-W's version uses extra ram.

CD-W's version is superior in every way. Why waste your money on an inferior product?.

I see a lot of continuing thinly-veiled animosity toward the author behind the game.  Maybe it's not entirely unjustified, but really, if you don't like his actions, say so, and don't hide passive agressive jibes like this one.  Where was all of this "inferior product" hogwash when DEBRO was making a new 4K version of Pac-Man?  Why weren't we yelling at Nukey Shay for "limiting" himself when he decided to put his version of Ms. Pac-Man on hold when he thought it would require extra RAM?  Some programmers like to challenge themselves to see what they can do within certain limits, and up until now we've respected that.

Development of Ms.Hack was delayed not because of (lack of) resources...but because it didn't work on real consoles, period. I have no way of testing other than emulation. So I waited for Hack'Em to feature all the stuff I wanted in the game and all of the bugs to be worked out before proceeding to hack it further into Ms.

It's Jr.Pac-Man which is IMPOSSIBLE to do without adding ram. I never wanted to try that one because topping Atari's version would be difficult anyway.

Check the date ;)

That was posted before I'd even started Ms.Hack...it was just an earlier guess made in 2004 while I was still working with a quite unpolished version of Hack'Em (which didn't even have a name yet) and turning it into Hangly Man. After posting the reply you linked, I eventually got around to trying a Ms. game based on that version...which ended up to be the game which does not work on actual hardware. That subsequently led to the actual delay (3 years!).

Reterning you to the Star Castle topic drift...

Check the date ;)

That was posted before I'd even started Ms.Hack...it was just an earlier guess made in 2004 while I was still working with a quite unpolished version of Hack'Em (which didn't even have a name yet) and turning it into Hangly Man. After posting the reply you linked, I eventually got around to trying a Ms. game based on that version...

I realize the post is a bit old, but that's what I based my orginal comment on. I didn't keep up with the project well enough after that, so I didn't know you had changed tactics. I just remembered at one point you had hoped it could go on a normal cart without extra RAM, back in the days before Harmony.

FYI, I used to be SkunkWorx, so that was me you replied to then as well.

I'd like to see what else others have used on the vanity screen for their star castles...

Me too!

I only have seen one so far and it's pretty cool.

There will be six - one was ordered by a good friend of mine who is refusing to do his own artwork (Booo!), does anyone out there feel like making some awesome 48x38 monochrome title graphics for him?

What's the deal?

Good point, considering options...

Everyone who pledged $20 or more for Star Castle 2600 on Kickstarter should check their email.

Enjoy!

D. Scott Williamson

• Like 4