IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

What's the deal?

I don't get to play it yet because I pledged more!?

I'll get the cart and box and CD with the ROM and such a month and a half from now, but I can't download it now?

Higher pledge levels should get all the options that the lower pledge levels get.

Good point, considering options...

Everyone who pledged $20 or more for Star Castle 2600 on Kickstarter should check their email.

Enjoy!

D. Scott Williamson

Great, thanks!

It took several games before I could even get 1 kill. But, I was able to play much better after I got the feel of it. Here's my high score so far: 16830

post-9364-0-98402400-1339365871_thumb.jpg

It's way more fun than I expected. However, it seems impossible at this wave because the enemy dots move so fast that they kill me before I can move. I lost about 9 lives trying to just get out of the way or shoot, but they're way too fast. Is there a strategy that works at this point?

Scott: Kudos on the game and special note about the manual- Very nice look and feel! You have captured the essence of the old Atari game manuals. 8)

My first high score!

Damn! Kevin beat me to it! I thought I was playing well! LOL. Gotta go play again..

post-2955-0-26879700-1339367493_thumb.png

Being how I'm super late to this party, will there be a way for those who didn't kick in on the kickstarter to at the very least buy a copy of the rom? I had totally forgotten this was happening and put my free cash into the Leisure Suit Larry remake kickstarter.

Being how I'm super late to this party, will there be a way for those who didn't kick in on the kickstarter to at the very least buy a copy of the rom? I had totally forgotten this was happening and put my free cash into the Leisure Suit Larry remake kickstarter.

You followed your second head,yes.

It amazes me anyone would pay money for homebrews. You could buy a Star Castle cabinet several times over for the absurd price this guy was selling "his" game for.

But would buying a cabinet give you the right to then reproduce the game code as you saw fit?

I'm not saying the price was still worth it, but the comparison is a bit off?

And why wouldn't you pay money for homebrews? You don't think it's worth throwing a few bucks someone's way for a job well done, especially if they offer it in collectable packaging?

Well they're (usually) open source games made by fans long after the end of the consoles shelf life. It's a fan project, by fans for fans. They aren't a consumer product, they're not "official". To me they wouldn't have any money value for those reasons, which are I'm sure absurd to many.

Edit: I don't see why you'd reproduce the game code of an arcade cabinet you owned. I assume you're getting at Harmony carts?

Edited by WSGEXE

Well they're (usually) open source games made by fans long after the end of the consoles shelf life. It's a fan project, by fans for fans. They aren't a consumer product, they're not "official". To me they wouldn't have any money value for those reasons, which are I'm sure absurd to many.

Edit: I don't see why you'd reproduce the game code of an arcade cabinet you owned. I assume you're getting at Harmony carts?

Personally I don't buy homebrews for their monetary value. Most homebrews I can play on the Harmony Cart but there is something special about owning a homebrew cart. I can put them on display, which I cant do with a ROM.

Anyway the game looks cool. Nice to see the ancestor of Yars' Revenge get a proper port by someone who clearly cared enough to do it right.

Two proper ports!

The 'it can be done in 8K' Star Castle 2600 by D. Scott W. (solidcorp),

and the 'throw in everything we can and more 32K' version by CD-W and friends to be sold in the AtariAge Store.