IGNORED

What's the deal with Star Castle 2600?

godzillajoe

Just you guys wait, cd-w will get done with it and when you least expect it, announce his finished product for the low, low price of $26,000......gotta keep the market competitive you know! ;)

J/K

I bet it will be a much lower price. It will probably be somewhere around $50 but still be more profitable than the $32k Air Raid CIB priced one.

Just you guys wait, cd-w will get done with it and when you least expect it, announce his finished product for the low, low price of $26,000......gotta keep the market competitive you know! ;).

If I do complete it (no promises) it will be sold in the AtariAge store at the normal price, like my other homebrew games.

Chris

EDIT: And I'll release the source and binary free as before.

• Like 4

Just you guys wait, cd-w will get done with it and when you least expect it, announce his finished product for the low, low price of $26,000......gotta keep the market competitive you know! ;).

If I do complete it (no promises) it will be sold in the AtariAge store at the normal price, like my other homebrew games.

Chris

Would you also make the rom available like your other games as well?

It turns out that I really suck at playing Star Castle :)

Could someone who is good at playing the arcade version let me know what happens on the later waves, specifically:

• Do the rings increase their rotation speed?
  • Do the rings reverse direction?
  • Do the mines increase their speed (I'm reasonably sure about this)?
  • Are there any other differences at the higher waves?

What I'm trying to do is determine the level progression, so I can work out what needs to be considered for the 2600 version.

Many thanks,

Chris

It turns out that I really suck at playing Star Castle :)

Could someone who is good at playing the arcade version let me know what happens on the later waves, specifically:

• Do the rings increase their rotation speed?
  • Do the rings reverse direction?
  • Do the mines increase their speed (I'm reasonably sure about this)?
  • Are there any other differences at the higher waves?

What I'm trying to do is determine the level progression, so I can work out what needs to be considered for the 2600 version.

Many thanks,

Chris

There is a new ring added every other level. So after 10 levels, there are 5 additional rings.

I hope your kernal can account for that.

Actually, just kidding. I haven't played it in decades, and yours looks excellent so far.

This guy knows how to play, and many of the progression elements can be seen.

I liked this one too. Longer periods of time at higher levels.

Thanks for the links - this is just what I need. For those who are interested, I've now got collision detection working in my star castle demo.

Chris

Edited by cd-w
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Star Castle is not a dead license after all.

I have persueded the licensor to give me permission to find a buyer for my cartridge.

After years of searching, emails, and phone calls it feels very good to have the legitamacy I wanted in the first place.

Scott

You have no legitamacy, you have completely discredited yourself.

Fortunately another AA member has taken up the Star Castle challenge, your version will be soon forgotten.

• Like 2

Star Castle is not a dead license after all.

I have persueded the licensor to give me permission to find a buyer for my cartridge.

After years of searching, emails, and phone calls it feels very good to have the legitamacy I wanted in the first place.

Scott

You shouldn't bother wasting your time. Having the rights to sell your one copy is pointless as the cart itself is near worthless. You need to get permission to distribute your version of the game in order to have something to sell....

I kinda doubt if it was made available, there would be a big hub-bub about it from the copyright owners. Whether it's solidcorps version or if cd-w finishes his. Atari didn't make a deal about medieval mayhem or namco about the pac-man hacks being sold at the AA store. Plus some of the other homebrew games available are remakes.

There are free pc remakes of star castle floating around as well.

I don't think it would cause a stink with the IP holder. Especially if it was a free rom available.

Now, if it was a Games Workshop license, it would most likely be a different story. Those guys made the board game geek purge all fan created content even if it didn't contain any of their actual resources. Even shut down a freeware pc conversion of space hulk.