IGNORED

Tron-what was your first reaction?

littleman jack

When I first saw the game Tron in the arcades I was awed by the colors and the graphics, and the long lines waiting to play it. But once I got a few goes, I thought it looked great but had terrible game play. What were your first thoughts upon seeing this one in the arcades?

This was my first reaction when I saw and heard Tron in an arcade: :o

First off, the cabinet is super sexy. Side-art to the 3D MCP image in the rear to the movie-emulating effect of the neon (fluorescent really) to the phosphorescent like glow of the artwork throughout out are all extremely attractive.

Then you have the kick-ass combo of the pistol grip joystick and the spinner dial to enhance the gameplay.

...and then there's the in game sounds and soundtrack! Stereo speaker system appropriately integrated and well deserved for all the effort put into it.

Not sure if this was the very first time I ever saw the machine, but I do remember there being an extra monitor sitting atop the game at a particular location, so "the crowd" could view gameplay also - it was *that* cool. And popular.

Incredible game all around. Definitely one of my favs.

And no way would I complain about the gameplay. Hell, even emulated using a Logitech gamepad, game is very playable. I think the arcade game has a great feel to it. Quick response (have to, especially for the light cycle sequence) and the rotary dial was brilliantly put to use in the tank, cone and spider levels. Tron is one of the very few games I can find fault with or complain about. 'Cept for the weight of the cabinet maybe. :ponder: :lol:

Edited by save2600
  • Like 1

I have to admit I've never heard someone say that Tron had terrible game play.

I loved it and still do. Definitely on my want list for the home arcade.

What rmaerz said. This is absolutely first on my want list. I loved it as a kid and would love to have one now. Strangely, as I'm typing this, "Derezzed" from Legacy has just come on my ipod. I'm going to take that as a sign that I need to convince my wife that I need to get a Tron cab. :)

The first time I saw it was after I'd seen the movie (which I loved), so I was pretty excited to play the game. When I got my chance to do so, I loved the sound and graphics (they put me right back in the frame of mind I had while watching the movie), and the fact that it had four different games to play was great. Plus the controls were just absolutely perfect.

I moved on before I was able to master the fourth round, though. I don't recall what I moved on to, but I did move on. I only had so many quarters, you know! :)

That was the great thing back then: there was always another awesome coin-op coming to your local arcade. Things were moving so fast back then, with so much innovation. Yeah, there were a lot of crap games, too, but they got weeded out pretty fast, for the most part.

But as far as Tron, it was awesome at first, but didn't hold my attention like, say, Defender. But it was always one I was willing to drop a token or two into.

I thought it looked great but had terrible game play. What were your first thoughts upon seeing this one in the arcades?

For those of you who liked/loved the game play, have you tried the xbox live arcade version? This is what brought it back to my mind. It seemed pretty accurate. And looked pretty cool graphically, like the arcade game.

:? Do you like it or not like it? :?

Edited by rmaerz

I'm going to take that as a sign that I need to convince my wife that I need to get a Tron cab. :)

One of my friends had a Tron cab when I was in middle/high school. Frankly, it was awesome. :D

Still surprising that there isn't a decent port of the game for home consoles -- the only one I know of that exists at all, actually, is "Electron" for Tandy CoCo.

I thought it looked great but had terrible game play. What were your first thoughts upon seeing this one in the arcades?

For those of you who liked/loved the game play, have you tried the xbox live arcade version? This is what brought it back to my mind. It seemed pretty accurate. And looked pretty cool graphically, like the arcade game.

:? Do you like it or not like it? :?

rmaerz, I'm sorry I'm unclear. I didn't mean to be confusing. I think the game Tron looks amazing. But I'm not a fan of the actual gameplay. I hold this opinion in both the arcade and the xbox live arcade version. But I think if a person likes the arcade game, then he/she will like the xbox live arcade version. It reminded me exactly of the arcade game, minus the amazing looking cabinet.

I don't specifically remember the very first time I ever saw it necessarily, but I do remember always thinking it was the coolest game around, though it was a bit hard for me at first (I was 10). I also remember distinctly there being a 2nd monitor atop Tron (and also Dragon's Lair later) because the visuals were so captivating.

This is my #1 want for an arcade cabinet also.

First thoughts; Cool game, and even better it's a Midway game, so the paper clip trick works for free credits. :evil:

What trick is that? First time I've heard about this.

Probably talking about strategically bending a paper clip so that it fits though the coin mech in such a way that it trips the coin acceptor.

People used to also flatten out breakout box slugs and use them as quarters too. Lots of other tricks abound I'm sure.

Edited by save2600

Huh, never heard about it back in the day. Of course, even if I was inclined to cheat, it would have been impossible. Every arcade I went to as a kid/teen was either so busy or the operators watched you like a hawk, or both. If I had tried anything I would have gotten tossed out on my ass so fast my head would spin. :lol:

Huh, never heard about it back in the day. Of course, even if I was inclined to cheat, it would have been impossible. Every arcade I went to as a kid/teen was either so busy or the operators watched you like a hawk, or both. If I had tried anything I would have gotten tossed out on my ass so fast my head would spin. :lol:

No kidding! Can't say I ever tried or was ever prone to do anything like that, but there was this time once at Showbiz Pizza Place, where there was an issue with the coin box/door of a kiddie ride. It was either broken, coming apart, overflowing or something like that. I remember grabbing a handful of tokens or quarters and using them to play other games. :lol:

Edited by save2600

I remember our local ice cream shop always had 7-8 games on hand at all times. I remember the day they got Tron, I was mesmerized by it. Loved the fluorescent blue trigger & the way the whole cabinet looked hi-tech. I was a huge fan of the movie as well. I liked the variety of the 4 screens. Still one of my all-time favorites.

I remember seeing it at some dive arcade bitd. I seem to recall a *bunch* of people huddled around this particular cab. At one point I managed

to get close enough to see the cab. WHOA!!!! I was awe-struck!

This is one cab I still need in my vid collection. Come across a couple of projects - just holding out for a nice one!

I have to admit this is one *classic* I still suck at today..... I really never tried to better myself at it either. The gameplay isn't bad, but I don't think it's

great.

It wasn't till i saw a EDOT that I really fell in love w/ a cab! Still one of the best (if not the best) cab evar! Whil the upright is good standalone unit.. it doesn't

do the game justice unless you experienced playing this in a enviromental unit....

First thoughts; Cool game, and even better it's a Midway game, so the paper clip trick works for free credits. :evil:
What trick is that? First time I've heard about this.
Probably talking about strategically bending a paper clip so that it fits though the coin mech in such a way that it trips the coin acceptor. People used to also flatten out breakout box slugs and use them as quarters too. Lots of other tricks abound I'm sure.

Yep, PacMan, Rally-X, Galaga, Ms PacMan...all the Bally/Midway games. You'd bend the paper clip open and stick it in the coin return and jiggle. We'd play free or rack up 99 credits and sell them for a buck or two to play the games we couldn't rig. the Nintendo games (donkey Kong, DK Jr, etc...)also had a trick, you'd take a straw and stick it in the door hinge and if you pulled it out juuuuuust right it's rack up about 10 credits at a time. There was a place we used to go to called Vibrations (record store) with an arcade at the back. The Exidy games also had a trick (but ONLY at that one place). You'd rub your feet on the carpet and touch the coin door with a nickel (had to be a nickel...tokens or other coins didn't work) and that would give you credits.

We got thrown out of many places with the paper clip trick. Good times. :evil: