Photo

What's Up With GameStop & Nintendo?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mendon OFFLINE  

Mendon

River Patroller

• 4,878 posts

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 AM

First it was Xenoblade that was made an exclusive to GameStop and no other store.

Rumors are flying that The Last Blade will also be released in 2012 (depending on sales figures for Xenoblade) and that once again it will be a GameStop store exclusive.

Now Nintendo announces that the Circle Pad add-on will be a GameStop exclusive (release is in time for Resident Evil).

Story on Circle Pad: http://kotaku.com/58...estop-exclusive

Is GameStop paying Nintendo for exclusive rights? Could GameStop be paying some of the costs for releasing these items in return for exclusive sales rights?

This is really a strange marketing move on Nintendo's part, I think.

Mendon

#2 KrazyKaiju OFFLINE  

KrazyKaiju

Dragonstomper

• 856 posts
  • Not dead yet.

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:41 PM

Preorders will also be available on the Nintendo.com store as well, according to Joystiq.com. I guess that means there will be an extremely low number of discs pressed. In fact, the Gamestop deal may be the ONLY reason NoA is allowing Xenoblade to be released here at all. Nintendo just lost a billion dollars this year after their casual market crashed on them so they're gun-shy, even though catering to more hardcore/niche markets is exactly what they need to do.

I already own the PAL version of Xenoblade, but I'll buy another copy if it convices Gamestop to do a similar deal with NoA to get The Last Story released in the US as well.

#3 Animan OFFLINE  

Animan

River Patroller

• 2,391 posts
  • Just some guy who plays Atari and watches Anime.

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:25 PM

Well, Ninty seemed hesitant on an American release of Xenoblade, and also acted like they didn't want to release the Circle Pad add-on at all. Maybe Nintendo is just quietly releasing these things in America to satisfy the few who want them, and not focusing on them as much.

Remember, Nintendo is a busy company right now. They got three systems out, developing a 4th one, and making games for all those systems.

#4 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,466 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 PM

They're making Wii and DS games?

#5 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• 2,078 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 PM

Sealed games good. Gamestop bad.

#6 rockman_x_2002 OFFLINE  

rockman_x_2002

Stargunner

• 1,601 posts

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:35 PM

Preorders will also be available on the Nintendo.com store as well, according to Joystiq.com. I guess that means there will be an extremely low number of discs pressed. In fact, the Gamestop deal may be the ONLY reason NoA is allowing Xenoblade to be released here at all. Nintendo just lost a billion dollars this year after their casual market crashed on them so they're gun-shy, even though catering to more hardcore/niche markets is exactly what they need to do.

I already own the PAL version of Xenoblade, but I'll buy another copy if it convices Gamestop to do a similar deal with NoA to get The Last Story released in the US as well.

Didn't know you could preorder directly from Nintendo. For this one I might do it that way. Would like to toss them the cash directly as a gesture to show that they should continue to bring these on over.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users