IGNORED

UltraSatan question

Charlie_

I ordered an Ultrasatan from Zaxon. I want to use it with my Mega STe and also my 1040STfm.

My MSTE has an internal ACSI hdd. 340mb Maxtor or something like this. The FAQ at the US web site mentions configuring the ID of the US on another ST to avoid ID conflict on a Mega ST4. Is this the same as my Mega STe? Or, is there something else I'll need to do?

If I have it configured as say, ID1, will I be able to move it over to my stock 1040STfm with out having to reconfigure it every time I do?

My understanding is, that stock/factory, the Mega STe and the US conflict. Its a small utility on floppy that changes the US ID, IIRC. So to change it, it has to be done on another ST.

As to your second question, I really don't think you'd have to configure it again. As long as you weren't hooking it into a setup with the same (new) ID on the US. :)

HTHs.

PS Don't forget, if you wanted to do away with the internal HD altogether, AlanH at AtariForum makes the internal

Ultrasatan cable pretty much "on demand". Not exactly cheap, but very high quality.

You can use TOS 1.0, I'd reckon...but I *wouldn't* use it if I were you. Its slower, and can

definitely cause you to lose data. Also, doesn't Jookie's site have some kind of warning

about TOS 1.0?

Yes, TOS v1.04 (aka 1.4, or Rainbow TOS) is what you want.

You can get TOS 1.4 ROMs off Ebay, Best Electronics, B&C Computers, places like that.

If you've got the 6 chips set onboard, its just a matter of buying the 6 chip TOS 1.4 set

and replacing them. Very easy.

You can also search for a TOS 2.06 upgrade (maybe even with IDE controller).

With a switch it is possible to use TOS 1.00 and 2.06 alternately depending on your needs.

But if you just need a machine on which you change the ID of the UltraSatan, you might disconnect your Mega/STe's drive, connect the UltraSatan, and proceed with the ID.

Or try to install CrippleMiNT to a floppy which you boot on the STfm.

Depending on your hard disk driver you might even change the ID of your Mega/STe's drive and exchange the boot order to still have it as drive C:\ .

• 1 month later...

Still don't have the Ultra Satan.....

I know this has be talked about a lot, and I've read the requirments on the US site, but Is there a known power supply to use with the Ultra Satan? Like the PS from a Jaguar? I thought I read something like this but couldn't find it.....

Until I bought the internal P/S pcb/cable from Alan H., I used a universal power supply adaptor

from Wal-Mart. I think it was like $10 or so. I had to play around with the connections on it until

I got one that fit right, and I think I set it for 7.5 volts. Worked great.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping my own thread here....

To this date I have not received my Ultra Satan from Zaxon.

There was a time near the end of January that he told me it would be in the mail.

Since then, no email response and no Ultra Satan.

What has me very bothered is the fact that others here at atariage and someone over at Atari-forum have gotten the device from Zaxon.

They ordered after I did. One order was filled in less than two weeks.