10 replies to this topic

#1 iesposta ONLINE  

iesposta

Stargunner

• 1,439 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 PM

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 160699952214

Just saw this pop up and though info might be useful to someone.
This is older than the one I own (1999), and it says it has a pause switch.
I thought the version 1 had dip switches?
This one has a label like mine, except for the hole switch and the © date.

He just sold (eBay) off a batch of them for $49.99 each, so who knows when they'll come up again.

#2 iesposta ONLINE  

iesposta

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,439 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 AM

Wow. That auction lasted all of 2 1/2 hours, & around midnight at that! I thought something was wrong or it was pulled because it wasn't listed today, but it ended with a Buy It Now.

#3 ilovethevectrex OFFLINE  

ilovethevectrex

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:58 PM

thats awesome, but it costs alot of money :P i got the vectrom multi cart (32 in 1) for 39.99 (40 bucks) THAT WAS A GREAT DEAL!

#4 ilovethevectrex OFFLINE  

ilovethevectrex

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:00 PM

also, how many games are in that cartrige? it must have alot if it costs that much money! also, its really cool that it has a pause switch! that is usfull for games that dont already have a pause option!

#5 VectrexMad! OFFLINE  

VectrexMad!

Chopper Commander

• 151 posts

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:16 PM

thats awesome, but it costs alot of money :P i got the vectrom multi cart (32 in 1) for 39.99 (40 bucks) THAT WAS A GREAT DEAL!

A much better deal is Andy Colemans's 72:1 cart. As the name suggests it got 72 programs. It's also got a very easy Vectrex onscreen software menu, so you don't have to fiddle about with DIP switches. And its got some programs on it which are not available anywhere else e.g. hangman.

Price is just £34.99 and is currently available from http://www.playntrad...ctrex/shop.html

for a review see pages 11+: http://publishing.yu...FlashCheck=true

#6 VectrexMad! OFFLINE  

VectrexMad!

Chopper Commander

• 151 posts

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 PM

also, how many games are in that cartrige? it must have alot if it costs that much money! also, its really cool that it has a pause switch! that is usfull for games that dont already have a pause option!

Less than the 72:1 cart. I think its got less than 60 titles if its the first generation:

http://vectrexmuseum...y-MultiCart.php

#7 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

River Patroller

• 3,925 posts
  • Commodore Chaos Knight

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:30 PM

To be honest, the best option is buy one of Richard's VecMulti cartridges...

#8 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 7,774 posts

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 PM

A much better deal is Andy Colemans's 72:1 cart. As the name suggests it got 72 programs. It's also got a very easy Vectrex onscreen software menu, so you don't have to fiddle about with DIP switches. And its got some programs on it which are not available anywhere else e.g. hangman.

Agreed. I have one of those and love it. BTW: is there any way to switch between games without power cycling the whole machine?

On my old dip-switch enabled Multi-cart, I could change the game while the machine was still on/cart still in the port and simply hit reset to load up the next game.

#9 VectrexMad! OFFLINE  

VectrexMad!

Chopper Commander

• 151 posts

Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:30 PM

To be honest, the best option is buy one of Richard's VecMulti cartridges...

I didn't mention it here because I was only comparing multicarts with fixed memory (ones that you cannot upload different binaries to).
I agree the VecMulti is the best solution, but it isn't for everyone. For example the loader program is currently only for the PC, so Mac users can't use it. Its a bit more expensive too at £55. Its well worth the money though in my opinion.

#10 VectrexMad! OFFLINE  

VectrexMad!

Chopper Commander

• 151 posts

Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 PM

Agreed. I have one of those and love it. BTW: is there any way to switch between games without power cycling the whole machine?

On my old dip-switch enabled Multi-cart, I could change the game while the machine was still on/cart still in the port and simply hit reset to load up the next game.

No, for the 72:1 you have to switch off and then on, to select a new game. The VecMulti does allow change of games without switching off - just press the Vectrex reset to select a different game.

#11 ilovethevectrex OFFLINE  

ilovethevectrex

Dragonstomper

• 531 posts

Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:17 PM

i knew about that cart, but i didnt know where to buy it! it must have alot of homebrews on it lol :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users