IGNORED

Broken Vectrex circuitry

Yannick Jean-Ray Stevens

So a family member shipped me a Vectrex, arrived in the mail today...and geniuses that they are, they put NO PADDING IN THE BOX.

So now I have a broken Vectrex. The screen isn't smashed thank god, but it did break loose from the housing and is loose in the system. I can fix that. It powers up just fine, I'm pretty sure most of the circuitry is fine, EXCEPT for the board directly on the back of the CRT, which has a break right through it (photo attached).

I'm not super familiar with circuit boards, I've fixed a couple of NES's before and a couple of red ringed 360's (no towel trick obviously, opened it up and replaced the heat sinks) and am decent when it comes to sauldering, but I imagine since it's snapped it's pretty much fubar'd. Are there any options to fix it, or will I have to replace it? What's the market on a broken Vectrex that I can cannibalize to fix this thing, bearing in mind that I live on an Island and it's pretty doubtful that I'll be able to find one here.

Thank god I didn't have to pay anything for this thing, and I still got a stack of games with it (Solar Quest, Space Wars, Cosmic Chasm, Berzerk, Blitz!, Rip Off, Hyperchase and Bedlam, most of which are complete). Worst case scenario I'll run down to the local pawn shop where they have a system for about 200 dollars.

post-31140-0-75352900-1324439696_thumb.jpg

If you don't mind trying, that looks perfectly repairable, assuming that there are no damaged parts on the component side. The tube socket is the only one of concern as the rest of the parts are nothing special.

It appears that there are only 2 broken traces, so I'd just run jumper wires over the breaks and give it a shot. You could glue the PCB halves back together if you like, but it might be perfectly function as-is once the broken traces are bypassed.