IGNORED

iMAME

SpiceWare

You don't have to use iExplorer. The app supports iTunes file sharing, so you simply upload files through the Apps tab for your iPhone/iPad.

EDIT:

Interesting ... the app has changed since I first got it this morning. It doesn't show up for file sharing any more. I still have the original version on my iPad, which shows up for file sharing. I downloaded it from my iPhone right now and it doesn't allow me to add files. Very interesting.

My version seems to have a file called 'roms.zip' (no folder like mentioned earlier). I added roms to the rom.zip (using iExplorer), did a 'refresh' of the rom folder (in 'Options'), and... nothing.

It doesn't want to seem to add the new roms. :(

I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Any reason I should install this if I already have it installed via Cydia?

Wiimote support isn't in this release, so that's one reason to stay with the Cydia version. I haven't heard about iCade support, so I'm not sure if that's out too.

A while back, someone took the iMame code tree and converted it to an Xcode project. Since I'm an iOS dev, I've just been compiling it myself, so I don't need the release. Still downloaded it though, just to have :)

Here is a quote from the TouchArcade forum:

Yes it is based on my iMame4All Xcode project for non-jailbroken iOS devices. You can tell by the version number, the 'b' was added by me to distinguish from the jailbroken app. Apparently someone downloaded my project and built and submitted to Apple but I have no idea how they got it by the approval process.

And yes, I added all of the sound samples for the iMame4All ROM set as part of the iMame4All Xcode project and so they are also included in the AppStore app too.

Also, since this is based on my Xcode project source code there is support for iCade and the iControlPad built-in. Here's how the controller support works: If you connect your iCade or iControlPad to your iOS device then iMame should detect it and ask you if you want to use iControlPad or iCade mode. The difference between the two is that in iControlPad mode you should enable special packet mode, then you'll be able to use the nubs for games like Robotron, however, it takes a toll on the performance because for each slight nub movement a series of 4 bytes is sent to the iOS device. This translates to a lot of data and the iOS device will have a hard time keeping up. I recommend putting your iControlPad in iCade mode and choosing iCade mode instead of iControlPad unless you really need the nubs.

For more details see my web page here:

http://www.lesbird.com/iMame4All/iMame4All_Xcode.html

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to snag iMame before it was pulled, then grabbed the $50 iCade from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. This could turn out to be the quick and dirty MAME cab I've been looking for!

I was able to grab it too before it got pulled. I love playing Green Beret and Space Harrier with the iCade.

Since I only have a 1st gen iPad (hand me down from the wife while she got the new iPad), some games don't run too well or have sound issues (like outrun).

Overall a very nice addition to my gaming addiction.

I finally got around to installing iExplorer and trying out the iCade with some ROMs. Played some 1943 and Time Pilot. I have to say that it worked great with both, but I was especially impressed with Time Pilot, where any controller lag would make the game unplayable (since you're blasting stuff that's basically a pixel away from your ship). Really nice for portrait-native games in full-screen mode. Some ROMs don't work, so I'll need to find a MAME4ALL rom set. If you don't have a MAME machine, and you've got an iPad (especially iPad 2) and iMAME, you really need to think about getting an iCade. I just hope the controls hold up...

is there any way to update the iMame app using iExplorer? I was lucky enough to get the itunes store version while it was up. I had been using Disk Aid to upload roms but iExplorer is so much better and seems to be able to allow access to the app's core files. can I replace existing files with newer ones to update the app to impliment things like wiimote control usage and other important updates? if so, where would I find the files to update it? all I seem to be able to find is the latest .deb file for imame which I assume is for jailbreak users

edit: nevermind about the wiimote question, read the link above from metal jesus, what about other updates? any way to get updates for those of us who do not have a jailbroken ipad who have the itunes store version?

@metal jesus, how do I install your idospad app on my non-jailbroken ipad? I only see the source code download on your site?

Edited by Mark Wolfe

@metal jesus, how do I install your idospad app on my non-jailbroken ipad? I only see the source code download on your site?

You need to be part of the iOS Developer Program ($99/year). Once part of the program, you can compile iDosPad on your own device.

why no one-time cost for getting it pre-compiled and installed on my device?

why no one-time cost for getting it pre-compiled and installed on my device?

Because a developer wouldn't need to only compile once on a device and regular users shouldn't be touching Xcode if they don't know what they're doing. There are also technical issues, such as all apps needing to be signed, which can't be controlled with a one-time fee.

so what is the point? wait for the app to reach a stable enough status that it can be distributed? but then how will it get around itunes strict no-emulator policy or will it be distributed some other way?

What Metal Jesus did was take source code for an app which was normally only available through Cydia (for Jailbroken devices) and created an Xcode project out of it. The point is so those of us who are part of the developer program can compile it ourselves and use the app without jailbreaking. You're not going to see many apps distributed this way. iMame and iDOS are pretty special cases here.

EDIT:

Just to add ... iTunes doesn't have a no emulator policy. There are plenty of emulators on the App Store (C64, ZX Spectrum, CPS, etc). What they don't allow are emulators which allow users to copy on their own ROMs.

I've only found the spectrum emu, none of the others, but anyway, I get what you're saying I just wish there was something for people who don't jailbreak and are not coders/developers. I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and jailbreak the damn thing so I don't have all these stupid constraints over this device I paid $$$ for and now own, apple tries to claim they still own MY device. has anyone had their ipad/iphone bricked, blocked or reset by apple while have been jailbroken