Photo

iMAME

34 replies to this topic

#26 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,689 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:47 PM

I think I am just going to have to bite the bullet and jailbreak the damn thing so I don't have all these stupid constraints over this device I paid $$$ for and now own, apple tries to claim they still own MY device.

I've never really understood the argument here. If you wanted a device you could load whatever you wanted, you could have easily bought yourself an Android device and saved yourself the trouble. I personally own iOS devices because I prefer the app ecosystem, regardless of the restrictions.

It's also nothing new that device manufacturers restrict what software you can run on their hardware. Could you load whatever software you wanted on a 2600? NES? Genesis? What about new gen systems like the 360 or PS3? No, because you're limited to running official software released for the systems. On the earlier systems, it wasn't until years later and with specialized hardware (flash carts, disk drives, etc) that anything in the homebrew scene could even be considered. For newer systems, you still need to hack them.

has anyone had their ipad/iphone bricked, blocked or reset by apple while have been jailbroken

Apple doesn't block and brick jailbroken devices. The problem that you do run in to is that you're not always able to upgrade to the latest iOS updates, so you miss out on new features.

#27 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts
  • The Central Scrutinizer

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 AM

you don't understand the argument? wha? it is all about the apps. android simply does NOT have the great music apps I use professionally for performance. case closed. I use mine for games only as a hobby but I use it for electronic music performance professionally and therefore require the apps not made for android os. there are tons of them, too many to name that are not available for android tablets. mine is set up to do audio & midi for a very complex live stage setup. sometimes the ipad is used to control other midi devices sometimes midi devices/controllers run synths on the ipad. the android can't hold a candle to the ipad for that use.

#28 goldenegg OFFLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,689 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:43 AM

you don't understand the argument? wha? it is all about the apps. android simply does NOT have the great music apps I use professionally for performance. case closed. I use mine for games only as a hobby but I use it for electronic music performance professionally and therefore require the apps not made for android os. there are tons of them, too many to name that are not available for android tablets. mine is set up to do audio & midi for a very complex live stage setup. sometimes the ipad is used to control other midi devices sometimes midi devices/controllers run synths on the ipad. the android can't hold a candle to the ipad for that use.

I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say. Your previous post sounded like you were forced to by an Apple device only to discover you can't do what you want with it. It's that argument I don't understand. Apple doesn't keep their app policies secret, so people buying their products should know what they're getting in to. Apple doesn't 'own' your device. You are expected to use your device with supported apps, that's all. Just like you do with many other devices you own.

It's funny that you mention music apps, as those are my main differentiator as well. Peavey AmpKit alone makes all the difference to me. There are no guitar modelling apps on Android which even come close.

#29 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 PM

I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say. Your previous post sounded like you were forced to by an Apple device only to discover you can't do what you want with it. It's that argument I don't understand. Apple doesn't keep their app policies secret, so people buying their products should know what they're getting in to. Apple doesn't 'own' your device. You are expected to use your device with supported apps, that's all. Just like you do with many other devices you own.

It's funny that you mention music apps, as those are my main differentiator as well. Peavey AmpKit alone makes all the difference to me. There are no guitar modelling apps on Android which even come close.

it is very possible there is a misunderstanding. I do not feel "forced" and of course I understand apple's TOS but I don't have to agree with it even though I use their products. Google is very accommodating to folks who like to hack their hardware and their software provided it is not used for illegal purposes, meanwhile apple won't even allow you to do something as simple as see the fucking directory structure on the hard drive of an ipad or iphone. it is bullshit. all I was doing was bitching and moaning about it, not really trying to start an argument or anything, sorry if it came off that way.

I checked out the peavey ampkit, I use a Roland VG-99 so I don't need the ipad for guitar effects, although there are some really cool guitar effects on the ipad, I use the ipad and other handheld devices to either be used as a midi controller or as a sound source. I've also toyed around with some of the DAWs and loop making apps on the iPad and I have the iRIG hardware for audio and MIDI but I am eyeing up the Alesis docking station as a long term solution.

my final point on the android vs ios conversation is that android os does not have very good music/synth/audio/controller software when compared to what the iPad/iPhone/iPod have. I have tried to make my new android phone, which is the samsung galaxy, a really nice, robust & powerful piece of hardware, do at least SOME of what the iPad can do but it will only suffice for web and games, not for musicians. I hope that changes, but for now that seems to be the case.

I do not want to jailbreak my ipad and be stuck using an outdated ios because apply blocks me from updating. unless there is an easy to root/un-root way to do it, I guess I will just deal with it. I do not know enough about how to do it and where to get the files, etc because I am such a newbie to the platform. if anyone has any good tips for me, I'm all ears.

#30 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,261 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 PM

couple of tips so far:

Space Invaders

shows up with reversed/inverted video.
IMG_0018.PNG

change Video Depth from 16 bit to 8 bit on the screen that shows up when you first select the game.
IMG_0019.PNG IMG_0020.PNG IMG_0021.PNG

It remembers the setting so you only need to do this once. iMAME's help file mentions that other games may need this as well. To view the help file hit Option (to the right of Coin), then select Help from the pop-up dialog.

Williams games

Defender, Joust, Stargate, etc. may get stuck at a screen like this:
IMG_0022.PNG
  • press COIN + START to bring up the in-game menu
    IMG_0023.PNG
  • joystick up/down to RESET GAME
  • hit B
  • joystick up/down to RETURN TO GAME
  • hit B
IMG_0024.PNG

Edited by SpiceWare, Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 PM.

#31 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,141 posts
  • Atari 7800 Dev

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 PM

I'm wondering if the new iOS 5.1 will disable iMAME :ponder: anyone who has this and upgraded know?

Thanks,
Bob

#32 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,337 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 PM

I'm wondering if the new iOS 5.1 will disable iMAME :ponder: anyone who has this and upgraded know?

Thanks,
Bob

Never thought about that. Waiting to upgrade now.

#33 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 PM

looks like my ipad upgraded on its own and imame still works fine :)

#34 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,141 posts
  • Atari 7800 Dev

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 PM

Thanks! I just updated mine as well and iMAME is still ok :)

#35 Metal Jesus OFFLINE  

Metal Jesus

Dragonstomper

• 608 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 AM

I have 5.1 on an iPad 2 with iMAME and it works just fine.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users