IGNORED

Just got a Battlezone cab, but missing CRT chassis!

simbalion

I took an hour and a half trip today and picked up a decent looking Battlezone cab for $150. After getting soaked in the rain getting it unloaded, I decided to dry it out and check out my purchase more fully since I was able to finally get the back off. Everything seemed to be there until I really started checking out the monitor. Something was missing as I had connectors hanging down. Picture tube is there, the high voltage cage appears to be there, then upon craning my neck to see I came to find that the chassis circuit board is totally gone! Somewhere along the line an arcade operator had scavenged the chassis from the monitor, then locked the machine back up! I called the guy who I bought it from, who is acting as a go-between for the arcade operator and he was rather disturbed himself as this game was bought at an auction, then shoved into a storage unit for the past 10 years. We both knew it didn't work, but he was told the machine was complete before putting them up. He has supposedly found a monitor chassis for me and will ship it to me, absorbing the cost since it was advertised as complete. In any case, I am putting out a feeler here as well, just in case that falls trough.

I have the option to return the machine, but it was murder to get into the trailer and what is there is in decent shape, besides one missing fire button. It almost fell off the porch and smashed to the ground as it is, so I don't really want to risk that again. Ohio has been nothing but constant rain and I don't have the help to move it again right away. So, I am asking for help on this project.

Could you contact Chad at ArcadeCup.com and see if he has one for sale?

I think I will. I'm really still a newbie at this whole arcade game thing. Thankfully the CRT and it looks like the the high voltage parts are still there. I have old TVs and usually if the chassis is gone, there is nothing left connected to the CRT! So, when I saw the high voltage cage and the crt connected through the coinbox door, I thought I was ok. I really wasn't mad at the guy I got it from, because he can only go with what information the arcade operator gives him about the machines.

I finally took a couple pics of my Battezone cab today. Can't do too much else with it right now with that missing monitor chassis. Also fighting a sinus infection right now, so am not up to doing much.

post-8339-0-99338500-1324670195_thumb.jpgpost-8339-0-47267600-1324670304_thumb.jpg

I also seem to be missing the carboard 'tank cockpit' from around the screen. I have a small part of it and what looks to be the right overlays, just the rest was hacked away years ago. Probably so the operator could clean the screen easier. It's amazing what the arcade operators did to these machines to squeeze every last cent out of them. I have found pieces of coin mechs, screws, a drink cup, fifty cents in quarters, and other junk just tossed into the back of the machine. Looks like whenever it was serviced the owner just threw the junk in the back and locked it back up each time. For now I will concentrate on getting it going, then go for cosmetics.

Some good news on the Battlezone front. Was doing some cleaning on it today with the Bezel off and much to my surprise the 'cockpit' carboard is fully intact behind the mirror! The mirror was so dirty on the back that it wasn't showing through. Now I have that cleaned and you can make it out even with the game off. I figure it will really show up once the game is functional. I gave up trying to fugure out some of the hacked wiring reroutes for now though. If it works that way, I'll just let it be.

Most of us would agree that a battlezone cab would be a dream! You should really take care and make sure to restore it to the best of your ability. If I could find a nice one I would keep it forever. Eventually I would like to own:

1. Donkey kong

2. DKJR(already own this one)

3. vs. duck hunt

4. tasteful 60 in 1

5. tempest

6. battlezone

you just can't beat those vector monitor games!!

Edited by mike99mccarthy

I actually got the parts for my monitor from the guy yesterday, including some extra bits. Now just hoping the CRT itself is still alive as it looks like it might be the original in the machine. I plan on keeping it regardless. I missed out on a working Red Baron last year for $250 and am still kicking myself for that.