IGNORED

ColecoVision Trading Cards with Binder!

pboland

I thought I would show what I'm currently working on. This project was in the works for sometime. After seeing interest in this topic "Interest check: ColecoVision trading cards" I decided to pull together what I had already started a few years back. The cards shown here are picture cards only. I decide not to make them in the same way as the topic above so there would be no over lap when those come out. I'm hoping my cards will compliment Pixelboy's cards.

In addition to the trading cards, I also put together a Trading Cards Binder. The binder is styled after the CES Colecovision folder that was used to pass out the Coleco promo sheets back in the day (see topic: ColecoVision Mr. DO! Poster & Maybe More…).

Each one of the trading cards are printed standard size (2.5" x 3.5") on double sided photo card stock and are laminated on both sides giving the card a glossy non-smudge surface.

Currently I have 15 different trading cards made up, but more are coming. The front of the cards are the game boxes and the back of cards are the cart showing the label. I don't have pricing yet. That will need to wait until after the first of the year. Let me know if you guys would be interested in purchasing these. Here's some pictures of what I have right now (keep in mind the binder may change a little).

post-9874-0-73947000-1324744391_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-69204300-1324744403_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-53216200-1324744411_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-13942400-1324744431_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-75032000-1324744443_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-40771100-1324744469_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-15574900-1324744487_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-12250900-1324744496_thumb.jpgpost-9874-0-67196100-1324744504_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-30541600-1324744515_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I thought I would show what I'm currently working on. This project was in the works for sometime. After seeing interest in this topic "Interest check: ColecoVision trading cards" I decided to pull together what I had already started a few years back. The cards shown here are picture cards only. I decide not to make them in the same way as the topic above so there would be no over lap when those come out. I'm hoping my cards will compliment Pixelboy's cards.

Sorry buddy, but you're overlapping my project in a most direct way, because having the box image as the front of the card is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do. So now we're going to have competing "products", so to speak, and this will likely confuse the fans over the long term.

It's not really a big deal, and I do plan to work on my own trading card project in 2012. I don't think the fans will mind buying both your series of cards and mine. But we'll have to find a way to make our products distinct, not in terms of card contents and appearance (we should each be free to do exactly what we want) but in how we'll advertize and distribute them. :)

Each one of the trading cards are printed standard size (2.5" x 3.5") on double sided photo card stock and are laminated on both sides giving the card a glossy non-smudge surface.

That's interesting. Did you print those by your own means, or did you use the services of a specialized print shop?

Sorry buddy, but you're overlapping my project in a most direct way, because having the box image as the front of the card is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do. So now we're going to have competing "products", so to speak, and this will likely confuse the fans over the long term.

For some reason I was thinking your cards were going to have a red outline on them. That is why I put the the box image edge to edge. Also, I'm not putting any kind of info about the game on the back of the card like you have indicated in your topic. Mine is just a picture card. Plus, I decide to add in the collector binder. I don't remember you mentioning anything like that in your topic.

It's not really a big deal, and I do plan to work on my own trading card project in 2012. I don't think the fans will mind buying both your series of cards and mine. But we'll have to find a way to make our products distinct, not in terms of card contents and appearance (we should each be free to do exactly what we want) but in how we'll advertize and distribute them. :)

I would agree. I would guess your cards will end up having a better market penetration. I don't plan on having a website to advertise on or have a digital distribution of the cards like you suggested in your topic. Besides I'm still looking forward to your cards. Even though I'm making my own cards, I would still like to purchase yours when you have them ready to go.

That's interesting. Did you print those by your own means, or did you use the services of a specialized print shop?

I'm glad you asked that. Though I do produce them with my own proprietary method, the end product is on par with most modern day glossy trading cards. It also helps that I have some specialized equipment that most would not have.

It would be cool if you made a prototype set with all the prototype games and hardware for the colecovision and then on the back have a story about it, more pictures of it, or both. I would also like to see a homebrew set also :lust:.This suggestion would be for either pixelboy or pboland I would just like to see it happen :-D

Edited by RelliK111

I'm thinking of offering the binder separately. What do you guys think?

Well, if it helps you decide in any way, I'm planning to sell my own series of CV trading cards in little plastic casings, the kind they sell in comic book shops fo store "regular" sets of trading cards. For example, if I can find a plastic casing that can hold 25 cards, then I'll release my trading cards in sets of 25, and sell each set with a plastic casing, which is great protection for shipping purposes.

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 1

Well, if it helps you decide in any way, I'm planning to sell my own series of CV trading cards in little plastic casings, the kind they sell in comic book shops fo store "regular" sets of trading cards. For example, if I can find a plastic casing that can hold 25 cards, then I'll release my trading cards in sets of 25, and sell each set with a plastic casing, which is great protection for shipping purposes.

Actually that's good to know. Thanks for posting that. I will make sure I DO NOT do the plastic casing since you are already planning on that. I was considering small cardboard boxes for expansion card sets however.

On a side note. One of the expansion card sets I'm planing on is the Atari Colecovision game series. Same deal, box on front, cart on back. I was also going to do a Colecovison hardware series and the back of the cards will form one image of a Colecovision unit. That way it is keeping with the picture card only thing.

• Like 1

Definetly would get the binder, but obviously separating things will allow you to offer things at a lower price point. Maybe you could offer the items individually as well as a package deal.

I like that idea.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm pretty close to taking orders on this. I've updated the card design a little after looking at a couple of modern trading cards. Basically the front will be pretty much the same except the grey boarder will be a little thicker to allow a print year, series text, and rounded card corners. On the back I got rid of the purple coleco boarder so the eyes focus more on the cart instead of the purple boarder. This also allows for the print year, series text, and rounded card corners. I should have a picture up soon of the new cards. I decided on rounded corners because it makes it easier to get the cards in and out of the binder sheet sleeves.

I have also finalized the game list. In short there will be 27 cards. The first card will be a series card (like an over all type card) with a picture of the colecovision system itself. 25 game cards and one check list card. The reason for 27 is because the binder will come standard with three card sheets holding nine cards each.

Here's the list:

Starter Card (picture of Colecovision console)

Blackjack

BuckRogers

BumpNJump

Carnival

CosmicAvenger

DonkeyKong

FootBall

Frenzy

Gorf

Looping

Mappy

MrDo

OmegaRace

PepperII

PowerLoards

Rocky

Slither

Subroc

Sword & Sorcerer

Tarzan

TimePilot

TunnelsTrolls

Venture

WarGames

Zaxxon

Check list Card

On the binder front. It is pretty much staying the same. I'm just going to add an extra title on it to reflect that it is for trading cards. I should have pictures up, hopefully, by this weekend.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm pretty close to taking orders on this. I've updated the card design a little after looking at a couple of modern trading cards. Basically the front will be pretty much the same except the grey boarder will be a little thicker to allow a print year, series text, and rounded card corners. On the back I got rid of the purple coleco boarder so the eyes focus more on the cart instead of the purple boarder. This also allows for the print year, series text, and rounded card corners. I should have a picture up soon of the new cards. I decided on rounded corners because it makes it easier to get the cards in and out of the binder sheet sleeves.

I have also finalized the game list. In short there will be 27 cards. The first card will be a series card (like an over all type card) with a picture of the colecovision system itself. 25 game cards and one check list card. The reason for 27 is because the binder will come standard with three card sheets holding nine cards each.

Here's the list:

Starter Card (picture of Colecovision console)

Blackjack

BuckRogers

BumpNJump

Carnival

CosmicAvenger

DonkeyKong

FootBall

Frenzy

Gorf

Looping

Mappy

MrDo

OmegaRace

PepperII

PowerLoards

Rocky

Slither

Subroc

Sword & Sorcerer

Tarzan

TimePilot

TunnelsTrolls

Venture

WarGames

Zaxxon

Check list Card

On the binder front. It is pretty much staying the same. I'm just going to add an extra title on it to reflect that it is for trading cards. I should have pictures up, hopefully, by this weekend.

That sounds great I look forward to getting a set. Do you have a idea yet of how much a set would cost with the binder?

That sounds great I look forward to getting a set. Do you have a idea yet of how much a set would cost with the binder?

I'm still trying to figure that out. I think (meaning not set in stone) the binder alone will be $30.00 plus shipping. I'm still trying to decide how much work is going in to this project which will determine the price of the cards. Right now they will be at least as much as the labels. I know I want to offer a bundle deal for buying the cards with the binder assuming I can find the card sleeves cheap enough. I'll try to get the price sorted out this weekend.

On a side note I'm toying with the idea of offering (just to the people who buy the cards by themselves) the trading cards in a special box (made of card stock). The box is just big enough to fit the 27 cards with some wiggle room. Here's what I'm thinking about (let me know what you guys think):

post-9874-0-07439700-1325890503_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-09206300-1325890512_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-99905200-1325890523_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-10860300-1325890532_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-45212700-1325890540_thumb.jpg

post-9874-0-33733500-1325890548_thumb.jpg

• Like 2