IGNORED

NES Battletoads hates us all

Three continues, that's it...brutal! The speed bikes were a real pain in the beginning, years ago. But once you start looking at the right of the screen to anticipate the obstacles, you figure it out. The real challenges are those "!" jumps where you have to time them yourself, but I just position at the bottom to maximize room for error. And of course the speed zone at the end. That's pretty much just rhythm and timing...once you've done it once, and don't freak out from the speed, you'll do it consistently...I rarely lose a life there anymore.

• Like 1

Three continues, that's it...brutal! The speed bikes were a real pain in the beginning, years ago. But once you start looking at the right of the screen to anticipate the obstacles, you figure it out. The real challenges are those "!" jumps where you have to time them yourself, but I just position at the bottom to maximize room for error. And of course the speed zone at the end. That's pretty much just rhythm and timing...once you've done it once, and don't freak out from the speed, you'll do it consistently...I rarely lose a life there anymore.

That's basically the key to success there. Just look at the right side of the screen and keep calm. Admittedly, I found the speederbike level in Battlemaniacs (the SNES follow-up) to be a lot more difficult.

Speaking of Battlemaniacs, I actually think that game is more challenging than the NES Battletoads (as crazy as that sounds). I have gotten very far into the NES one, but not past the speederbike level in Battlemaniacs.

Battletoads still hates me. In the never ending ways to die in this game, it always surprises me to find when I die in completely new ways...areas I figured I had mastered, all that means nothing if all the sudden your Toad decides to duck at the wrong time, you accidentally press jump too quickly...unforgiving is the word of the day, as evidenced by my three deaths on the tunnel today, quite early in the race! So I decided to use the warp in the Ice Level (which is actually now a LOT easier...I don't say 'easy' as this game knows all and will make me pay if I feel to confident) to skip the boring surfing level.

The Snakes are finally behind me but there's just so many ways to die! I have it figured out but this is probably the first time I've made it through that level legit, by myself, in 20 years!...lol. And then I died a quick death on the next level, hoping on a log. Dead.

The saddest part?...knowing that there were at least three more levels ahead! What the hell were these guys thinking?!?!...truly, a monumental (heavy on 'mental') challenge. I think I'll be using these warps a lot, if only to save the time in the day required to get to those higher levels and practice. Cheating?..yes! But I won't consider this game behind me until I beat it without any warps...which should happen before the next 20 years goes by. I hope.

Battletoads killed a man in Reno. Just to watch him die.

True story. Almost happened to me, except tonight, it happened on the Inferno level. Let me explain. I had a pretty good game, no warps (tried to post a top score on the HSC) and ended up in the inferno with about four lives left.

I don't think I lost a life until I wasted about 3 of em' in the ice level...all stupidly, badly timed jumps. I thought about taking the warp, but since I was going for score, and there's really not much chance to score in the snakes level, I kept going. Posted a good score, but man did those deaths in the surf level hurt. It's not so bad if you can keep grabbing those 1ups at certain points in the level, but if you miss em' you're gonna pay.

And speaking of those 1ups, there's one in the inferno level so far. It's not like it's too terribly difficult but you gotta have your game hat on for the meteor storm. I couldn't get past it. I'm sure the level gets even more ridiculous with the fire gates, but we'll see.

I decided to take the warp in the snakes level earlier this weekend just to see what that elevator shaft was all about. I'll tell ya what it's about: PAIN. Nothing crazy, but just enough to drive ya nuts. Bit by bit, I'm making progress and it's still fun. It's just a bit more frustatrating that every game is lasting like almost 45 minutes...for only about 15 or so of actual practice on the parts I'm stuck on. I'm terrible at the memorization parts that this game demands...if I ever thought the ice level was impossible (and for a while I did), there's just more and more and the slap on a lil more PAIN just when you think you've seen it all.

Battletoads hates me.