Posted Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:50 PM

i put one in a controller tonight, they are awesome ! i highly recomend one

#2 Ransom OFFLINE  

Ransom

River Patroller

• 3,926 posts
  • Cartridge Gaming Enthusiast

Posted Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:38 PM

Oh, yeah! Those are the best. Congratulations!

#3 atari_envy OFFLINE  

atari_envy

Dragonstomper

• 642 posts

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:02 AM

Agreed. If you are going to use the stock 5200 controllers, the gold kits are the way to go.

#4 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• 6,613 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:35 AM

Yep, it's amazing to me how many people seem to drag their feet on this upgrade. It's a must.

#5 simbalion OFFLINE  

simbalion

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:17 AM

The rebuilt controller I have doesn't have the gold dots, but has the later carbon dots. So far it has held up well. If I ever get more of my controllers rebuilt I will go for the gold option as it does seem to be the best,

#6 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:37 PM

i had the later carbon dots to... doesnt hold up. the tinfoil trick does work great to though. if someone doesnt have the funds for the gold, the tinfoil is (almost) as good.

#7 Gaztee OFFLINE  

Gaztee

Stargunner

• 1,196 posts

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:01 PM

I actually have one controller with a gold rebuild & the fire buttons have packed in! Is that unlucky??

#8 Cafeman ONLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 5,085 posts
  • fixing house

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 PM

I've been thinking about the tinfoil improvement. I cleaned my carbon dots and the mesh where a connection is made, but I still need to squeeze the buttons a bit harder than I'd like. Do you simply glue a tiny bit of tinfoil to each carbon dot? Doesn't the glue interfere with the connection?

#9 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:05 PM

your fire buttons have packed in? @cafeman i have one with tinfoil i got from ebay years ago and it works great. for the fire buttons they cut a longer strip for each of sets of contacts. and yes superglue a tinfoil piece from using a hole punch. im gonna take mine apart tonight or tomorrow and check it out. or put in the gold and problems should be solved forever. it helps for when im playing koffi and adventure 2 ;)

Edited by AtariBrian, Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:10 PM.

#10 sdamon ONLINE  

sdamon

Stargunner

• 1,097 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 AM

I've been thinking about the tinfoil improvement. I cleaned my carbon dots and the mesh where a connection is made, but I still need to squeeze the buttons a bit harder than I'd like. Do you simply glue a tiny bit of tinfoil to each carbon dot? Doesn't the glue interfere with the connection?

Yep, just glue (something stronger than Elmer's like Krazy Glue or Gorilla Glue) a bit of tin foil to the carbon dots on the fire buttons and the Start/Pause/Reset buttons. The glue doesn't interfere with the connection as it's not part of the connection... the connection is made between the foil and the flex circuit. You're just replacing the carbon dot as a conductor with the foil. Works pretty well in my experience, although for ergonomic reasons I still prefer a Wico or Competition Pro joystick over the standard 5200 stick. I just personally hate side-mounted fire buttons on all systems that feature them (5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, 7800)

#11 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:59 AM

now if we just had a solution for the non centering joystick :grin:

#12 Cafeman ONLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 5,085 posts
  • fixing house

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:37 AM

Skill?

;) :D

#13 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• 6,613 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:48 AM

Yep, it's amazing to me how many people seem to drag their feet on this upgrade. It's a must.

Point proven, yet again! :)

#14 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:14 PM

Skill?

;) :D

wow really :twisted:

#15 cybercylon OFFLINE  

cybercylon

Dragonstomper

• 918 posts

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 PM

I have had luck so far by going with a gold flex circuit and using the aluminum foil dots. Might be a good option if the controller is fine otherwise and saves a bit on the cost.

#16 Lendorien OFFLINE  

Lendorien

Stargunner

• 1,118 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 PM

I did the Aluminum Foil Dots this week and it's like the controllers are completely different ones. Who would have thought such a simple solution would make such a difference. I've fot some rev 9 flex circuits on order. Current ones in my controllers are Rev 7. Since I don't play my 5200 heavily, it'll probably be more than enough for my purposes.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users