IGNORED

SIO2PC

Inky

It's this hard to assemble, buy this and splice a sio cable:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...products_id=107

or buy it complete, very good seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2300594054

There are links on how to make your own but it will only save you a few bucks. It can run .atr image files so if a cart (very likely, there are thousands of .atrs available) has been transferred to .atr you can run it, I don't think it can run tape files unless someone has made them into .atr again.

The same goes for "cart" images (.bins). These have little to do with the cable. Think of the SIO2PC turning your computer into an Atari disk drive, and that's pretty much the idea. By using software like Ape, you "mount" an .atr image and the real Atari boots from it.

There was a program called C.O.S. (cassette operating system) made by Alpha Systems that could transfer single and multi-load tapes to disk. Should be archived someplace. Since emulators usually have a monitor built-in, you should be able to do a binary save of the cartridge area right to an .atr image. The main problem with doing this is that some cartridges have anti-copy routines written into the program that will attempt to destroy itself (i.e. since the program is now in Ram instead of Rom, the data can be written over).

That might be so...but have you actually found any Atari .cas files posted anywhere?

I yearn for .wav support so that I can archive the language course.

Same here, I have the original French, Italian, and Spanish tapes and that's the only reason I have an Atari tape player :)

I believe the full version of APE supports loading CAS files into the 8bit via a SIO2PC cable - cant verify though.

Yes it does, although i've never used the option since about 90% of 8-bit software, including disk, tape and cart, are now in .atr images. The stuff that's missing is mostly educational and application programs, which most people just turn to more modern machines to do anyway.