Photo

3D on the 2600!

7 replies to this topic

#1 Animan OFFLINE  

Animan

River Patroller

• 2,388 posts
  • Just some guy who plays Atari and watches Anime.

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 PM

As a big fan of 3D, I naturally have been wanting to see how the 2600 could handle it. I initially tried a flickering red/blue screen a few months back (a technique used in Rad Racer ad 3D Worldrunner on the NES). Sadly, I couldn't get it to work at all.

So, with a recently-acquired Harmony cart, I've been dusting off my Virtual bB .exe and programming a few little fun projects. This is one them.

Quite simply, it's a 3D demo of the cross-eye variety. To view the 3D, cross your eyes until the two images come together.

Move the joystick left and right to move the ship, and the up and down to make the ship either come further out of the screen, or further into it.

WARNING: THIS MOST LIKELY WILL HURT YOUR EYES, AS MINE ARE STILL MILDLY STINGING FROM USING IT A FEW MINUTES AGO. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Attached Files

#2 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts
  • Atari + R.O.B. = Completed

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 PM

Very cool, I have 2 quick suggestions.
1 - get rid of the score, it is just something else for your eyes to grab onto that they shouldn't.
2 - when I changed it to being above the screen (closer to my eyes) it was pretty cool, I was able to make it appear below the screen (farther from my eyes) but the ship going OVER the scrolling background ruins the effect. I realize it is a quick file to show the effect, but if you could make it so it appears to go under the playfield, that would help. maybe make it the same color as the playfield, then you can't tell?

This is exactly what I am trying to do with LCD shutter glasses.
I am very interested in stuff like this.

#3 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:06 PM

with them spread out all the way, it appeared to be about 5 inches infront of my eyes. I am about 28" from my monitor with stella running in a small window. I acutally put my finger under the apparent location of the spaceship and other than a focus issue the effect was perfect.

#4 Animan OFFLINE  

Animan

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 PM

1 - get rid of the score, it is just something else for your eyes to grab onto that they shouldn't.
2 - when I changed it to being above the screen (closer to my eyes) it was pretty cool, I was able to make it appear below the screen (farther from my eyes) but the ship going OVER the scrolling background ruins the effect. I realize it is a quick file to show the effect, but if you could make it so it appears to go under the playfield, that would help. maybe make it the same color as the playfield, then you can't tell?

I ran into problem 2 myself, and probably will fix it soon.

I might be able to turn this into a full game, kind of like the 3D remake of Xevious on the 3DS. Perhaps have two or more layers of enemies to shoot at, and you have to move from layer to layer?...

Ok, I'm getting tingles...

#5 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,682 posts

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:56 PM

Good work Animan. Might I suggest a "training screen" with a dot at mid depth?

Also, I forgot if you wear glasses. Have you ever noticed blues are deeper and reds are nearer on LCD screens? If not, Crayola makes 3D glasses that make it happen.

#6 Animan OFFLINE  

Animan

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,388 posts

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:36 PM

OK, here's an update:

-Scorebar removed
-Now, when you move the ship under the playing field, it now appears to be "under" the playfield.
-First playfield changed to help show off how the 3D effect of the ship even more.
-A second playfield has been added that features a 3D effect of its own. Unfortunately, the ship will not necessarily appear above or under the 3D segments. It's hard to explain without seeing it for yourself.
-The 3D control has been slowed down, so it's easier to stay with "comfortable" 3D levels.

To select the normal playfield, press the reset switch. To get the 3D playfield, press the select switch.

Attached Files

Edited by Animan, Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:38 PM.

#7 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,666 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:43 PM

I would love to see either Starmaster or Robot Tank adapted to use 3-D.

#8 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:37 PM

OK, here's an update:

-Scorebar removed
-Now, when you move the ship under the playing field, it now appears to be "under" the playfield.
-First playfield changed to help show off how the 3D effect of the ship even more.
-A second playfield has been added that features a 3D effect of its own. Unfortunately, the ship will not necessarily appear above or under the 3D segments. It's hard to explain without seeing it for yourself.
-The 3D control has been slowed down, so it's easier to stay with "comfortable" 3D levels.

To select the normal playfield, press the reset switch. To get the 3D playfield, press the select switch.

Way cool, it works perfect for me! I was able to see both playfields in space as well as the different depth segments on the one.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users