IGNORED

HSC8 Round 21 ** Season Finale **

therealbountybob

Here we are folks, the final round of HSC Season 8!

Simply nominate* and play any game you like, you'll score 3pts for this. You earn a bonus point for each player playing your game. The sooner you post the more players you might get! Play just your own game or go crazy and play all the games ;)

[*or just play other peoples games!]

Scoring points per place for each game; if 5 players play then 1st place gets 5pts... 2nd 4pts...

If you suggest a popular game more people might play but you might want to try something new, obscure or that takes longer to play. Set any special rules / level settings / limit a game to a number of rounds - do as you wish for your game :)

Everyone welcome to join in, including emulator users. don't be shy. Screenshots optional. Checkout the beginners guide or just post for help. Games authors perhaps you'd like to play your game and get some feedback?!

Have fun everyone and thanks for playing this season :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The round will end on Saturday 21st Jan 10am BST and we'll go straight into the new season from there. Cheers and a Happy New Year to all atarians

trbb

---------------------------------------------------------

Links to games:

Bluecat's Marbled (XL/XE only. PAL but post 25 says may run on NTSC) resumes using codes fine..

Philsan's Pac-man Arcade start on Cherry, if it's too hard for you to beat Cherry play on Bear! (keep eye out for version 6!!!)

McKong's Missile Command (default - with bonus)

RoadRunner's Jr Pac-Man (default)

Orpheuswaking's Ollie's Follies (!) (no codes play right through)

trbb's Fire One Hey I found a gem, bet no-ones heard of it ;) (default settings) instructions here

littleman jack's Captain Beeble :cool:

ATR with all above games apart from Marbled: HSCSeason8Finale.ATR

Fres's Scooter - ATR

Atariron82's Shamus - ATR

ATR with above games: HSCSeason8Finale-Disk2.ATR

Checkout atarimania for instructions or inspiration for your pick :)

Keep them coming folks - I've add the links to the first post and put my pick in there too ;)

If anyone wants to set different options for their game feel free...

Newer players could also checkout Fandal's or Homesoft's great atari sites for games... plus you tube has several videos of 60 best atari computer games - you can pick out one you fancy - describe it or note the minute of the video and we'll track it down for you ;-)

Had my first go on a few of the games...

For my game Fire One - play on Admiral and post the displayed combined score. There is a small delay between each battle. The white bar shows the time remaining. Pressing Start zeros the scores to start over. [edited]

After a few goes I figures out the red damage bar was something I should keep an eye on and even managed to win one of the three battles :)

Marbled has a unique code feature that remembers your score for further sessions. I played up to level 21... post scores as you go folks :thumbsup:

My Scores:

Missile Command 104,325

Marbled 110,850 (so far)

Jr Pacman 17,980 very bad go!

Pac-man Arcade 17,840 uber slick control

Fire One 2,670 (lost 2:1)

Olls Folls... need to download this sucker again :D

post-19705-0-88826300-1325439751.jpg

post-19705-0-27298400-1325439757.jpg

post-19705-0-76458600-1325439765.jpg

post-19705-0-36362700-1325439776.jpg

post-19705-0-02974800-1325439783.jpg

post-19705-0-89716200-1325439793.jpg

post-19705-0-82070600-1325439818.jpg

Ollie's Follies 5,310 - once you master the movement this is a fun game... long time no play (J.C. you'll remember this one ;) ) , got to room 8 after a few goes. If you jump before the landing 'foot shuffle' this can save you from falling off! [keep fire held in]

post-19705-0-01474100-1325467808.jpg

Pac-man Arcade 53,030 ... loving it, very intense but you can usually escape :)

post-19705-0-19142000-1325467794.jpg

Found this info for Fire One

Synopsis by Matthew House

From the arcade and onto the Commodore 64 comes Fire One, a shooter involving two rival oceangoing fleets. In order to win, you must take control of one fleet and demolish more units than the other. Beforehand, there are some options to consider. There are two settings: Admiral and Ensign. While the Admiral setting is best suited for novices, Ensign is for seasoned veterans.

Also, the time can be altered from one to 99 minute battles.

Once the settings have been made, it's time to eradicate the enemies. Action takes place at the bottom of the screen as rival units cruise around the water. Your fleet is located at the top of the screen. No action takes place on this portion of the screen except for automatic animated results of enemies' attacks.

As enemies cruise around, you must launch torpedoes towards them. Enemies include carriers, hydrofoils, cruisers, mammoth battleships, oil tankers and the elusive PT boat. To destroy one of these foes, the crosshairs must be aimed in coordination with the target's location. The aiming mechanism features two lines: the horizontal line represents that direction the torpedo is fired, and the vertical is for precision and location.

While a torpedo may hit the rival unit, it might not sink it. In order to sink a foe, a direct hit must be scored. Direct hits involve firing toward the middle of the target. When a direct hit is scored, bonus points are awarded. Points are also awarded when a torpedo comes in contact with a rival unit.

When time has expired, the round is over. A win scenario involves sinking more units than the computer-controlled fleet; a loss is rendered when the computer has demolished more units. The win/loss screen is shown and informs the would-be general as to who has won more rounds

More enjoyment:

post-19705-0-82349000-1325543957.jpg

8,450 Room 14

seriously OzFoz it's a fun game but seem to remember it being a bit too easy (may be we were good back then?!) with the high score element to think about collecting and killing everything makes it more challenging :)

Improved on Jr

post-19705-0-63966100-1325543966.jpg

32,640 liking the different mazes... never played this one much before (you're still safe roadrunner ;) )

Also got up to level 39 on Marbled score so far 250,950 - If you get stuck press escape to end your go but write down score first or you'll have to type the code in like me :dunce: - if you can make it to the end square (without all the diamonds) the level restarts with the previous score :cool:

Time is against me this month (Legal battles to be won or lost & corrupt [local] governments to topple! & I still need to find a job before the credit card people send in the heavies!)

In addition to my new found hobbies I also have some home computing issues / repairs. My network switch finally bit the dust (despite some tricksy open heart/powersupply surgery - look Ma, no solder burns!!! :D) so Santa kindly brought me a new gigabit switch + cables. Ooooooh, nice! 1000mbps doesn't make much difference if all you're doing is surfing the web (all right, looking for pr0n :o ) but it's a massive help when populating 3TB+ of junk onto my newly resurrected file server :thumbsup:

The good news is that whilst I'm sitting here watching my collection of Pinky & the Brain cartoons whizz across the ether(net cable) I have a few hours to play :) and as I've cleaned down this machine ready for an O/S re-install I haven't got Serious Sam 3 to play :(

Which means I'll just have to settle for Marbled. @Bluecat: Glad you've had an opportunity to give it a try - it really is a good game. @trbb: Only lvl 39? Didn't we get past that the last time I was over? (and I'm catching you up!)

Hopefully the month will even out soon and I'll have enough time to play a few other bits n bobs. Haven't had a bash at BBSB for ages, and can't remember Hollies Gollys from my [mispent] youth at all (which normally means I was crap at it & spent most of the evenings playing darts whilst trbb clocked up ever more impressive monster scores) so maybe a few goes on that.

Now that I've spent all evening typing this waffle I've got no time left :? Must learn to manage my time!

[belated] Happy New Year to one and all.

Edited by justin case

Hey roadrunner who ate my power pill?! Think an evil fruit just zapped one :cool: feature for the Jr!

44,140 nearly completed third level :)

post-19705-0-90322100-1325723541.jpg

McKong - I'll post an ATR with all the files on it so far (apart from Marbled tomorrow) :)

Hope you're keeping a diary of events J.C. just watched The Social Network and suprisingly it was a good film... bluecat tells me Mr Zuckinis first programming was on an A8 :thumpsup: now he's a multi billionaire he could re-open proper Atari and restart the empire ;-)

HSC Sick-notes due for renewal:

beamer320i

deteacher

a8isa1?

:grin:

p.s. JC you will remember Oliver's Acts of Foolishness as soon as you have a go and promptly fall off... (several times) one of the earyl ones we played round yours me thinks! Marbled is gonna be tough rybags might play so watch out as he's working on the perfect score!!! Think we got into the 50s :ponder:

Marbled: Level 21 (so far) 113060.

The perfect score (mentioned by boutiblob above) can be achieved through a combination of brief level setups (each time you swap a pair of tiles you lose 30 points) and a deliberate attempt to stomp as many tiles as possible as you move your marble around (each tile jumped / stomped / rolled on earns 100 points)

This is evidenced by my score being 3000 or so higher that trbb's score for the same level (though I can imagine a hasty re-evaluation of his gaming technique from here on in!!)

An excellent game - well worth a few hours time spent scratching your head!

I'll join in with Jr. Pac-Man and Missile Command this weekend. And if it's not too late, I'll enter a game as well once I browse my collection.

Glad that you have a few of the games!

Enter a game at any time folks even the last few days.

Had 3 goes on Missile Command 95k, 105k... then 116,090 McKong lives for another day!

Next up it's Jr Puc ;-)

Edited by therealbountybob