IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2012 (Season 5)

And does Abobo's Big Adventure count as classic gaming? Cause I had about 8 hours on that game too.

Alas, I don't think ABA counts, though it was a lot of fun! I guess technically if you played it on a Windows 95/98 machine it could count, since Flash was around before 2000...but even if it would run on a pre-2000 version of Flash (which it probably wouldn't) I think online/flash games should probably stay out of bounds.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (January 9th through 15th)...

Arcade:

Dig Dug - 60 min.

C-64:

Caverns of Khafka - 105 min. in 2 sessions

N.O.M.A.D. - 90 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Q*Bert - 6 min.

TI-99:

Q*Bert - 10 min.

Total gaming time: 271 min. (39 min. per day)

After having committed to playing what comes to mind rather than what my list is proposing, my choices have become even more varied than they were before. It wasn't a very strong week for gaming though, due to 2 "outside" actions, one of which was the TI-99 meeting on Wednesday.

Speaking of which... I played Q*Bert on the TI-99 meeting on Kl99's modified TI-99 using the F18 chip, which is a FGPA reproduction of the TMS9918A which is able to drive a VGA monitor at 640x480 and to show all 32 sprites in a scanline, which is an advantage in Q*Bert since it often puts more than 4 sprites in a scanline which normally would lead to masking some details. It took me a bit to get accustomed to playing the game with the TI-99 joysticks and the not-so-generous collision detection of this version.

The next day, I remembered there was a Flash version of Q*Bert somewhere. Actually, it's made by Sony Pictures and resembles the arcade version pretty closely, but it's a bit slower than the original.

On the C-64, I played N.O.M.A.D. and mapped it out with a trainer mode where you're invincible. Actually, the game itself is not so great, but the title music is. Same goes for Caverns of Khafka which I also mapped out. It also has a great title music which I adapted onto the TI-99 back in the day, along with a one-screen version of the game in Extended Basic where the player character got reduced to a 8-pixel high mini sprite. The game itself is rather chaotic and the reactions of the player character to your joystick movements doesn't always seem to be consistent, which makes it rather easy to die. I didn't complete that game.

The last game I played was the original version of Dig Dug, where I reached Round 12. At that point, those enemies come at you pretty quickly!

• Like 1

Friday night--

Turbografx-16

Blazing Lasers - 10 minutes

Victory Run - 10 minutes

Saturday --

Intellivision

Backgammon - 30 minutes

Bump 'N' Jump - 30 minutes

Tron Deadly Discs - 15 minutes

SNAFU - 15 minutes

Sunday --

Colecovision

Girl's Garden - 5 minutes

Circus Charlie - 5 Minutes

I like backgammon a lot, but rarely have opportunity to play against someone else. So I sometimes bring out one of the classic video game versions and have at it. I'm suspicious that the Intellivision version cheats. I played four rounds, and the computer won the first three of those four rounds . And each time it won, it had rolled doubles four, five, or even six times during the game, whereas I only rolled doubles once in each of those games. The only game I won, I got two doubles and the computer got one. It could be random chance, it could be a glitch, or it could be a weak AI backed up by a bit of cheating (greater probability of doubles). I'll have to play more to find out.

• Like 1

I have only played one game this week, Animan's batari basic work in progress , Trashmania.

As an Atari 2600 game, that's eligible for sure. Any idea (even very approximate) how long you played it? I'll put down 5 minutes unless I hear differently.

20 mins maybe

My times for Friday - Sunday:

Sega Genesis:

B.O.B. - 17 min.

Bubsy - 3 min.

Chiki Chiki Boys - 344 min.

Gain Ground - 74 min.

Galaxy Force II - 3 min.

Legend of Wukong - 45 min.

Beat Chiki Chiki Boys on Hard with the best ending (after quite a few failed attempts), and started Legend of Wukong.

Meanwhile I got a little further in B.O.B., which is a platformer/run-'n-gun that plays pretty well. It has a nicely structured password system, so it's perfect for picking up for 15-20 minutes.

The more I play Gain Ground, the more I like it. Great strategic action game for two players. I'm very glad I bought it, but I can't say the same for Galaxy Force II, a recent acquisition which doesn't really seem fun at all.

• Like 1

Friday ~ Sunday

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 240 minutes

I'm getting an actually Berzerk cabinet tomorrow so I went a bit nuts since Friday when I found out I was getting it and I've been playing Berzerk like crazy. High score was 194k which would have been higher but my son woke up and I had to go get him!

My times for Friday - Sunday:

Sega Genesis:

B.O.B. - 17 min.

Bubsy - 3 min.

Chiki Chiki Boys - 344 min.

Gain Ground - 74 min.

Galaxy Force II - 3 min.

Legend of Wukong - 45 min.

Beat Chiki Chiki Boys on Hard with the best ending (after quite a few failed attempts), and started Legend of Wukong.

Meanwhile I got a little further in B.O.B., which is a platformer/run-'n-gun that plays pretty well. It has a nicely structured password system, so it's perfect for picking up for 15-20 minutes.

The more I play Gain Ground, the more I like it. Great strategic action game for two players. I'm very glad I bought it, but I can't say the same for Galaxy Force II, a recent acquisition which doesn't really seem fun at all.

I only ever play games on default setting, havent beat chiki chiki yet..:)

I only ever play games on default setting, havent beat chiki chiki yet.. :)

I've been wondering if I should rethink my "gotta beat it on Hard" mentality. Part of me thinks that beating a game means beating the worst it can dish out, but part of me thinks there's more sanity in saying that beating the default setting = beating the game. Certainly I've put a lot of time -- maybe too much time -- into banging my head against the hardest settings of Sol-Feace, Shaq-Fu, Street Fighter II, and other games that don't have the initials SF. We'll see.

• Like 1

I only ever play games on default setting, havent beat chiki chiki yet.. :)

I've been wondering if I should rethink my "gotta beat it on Hard" mentality. Part of me thinks that beating a game means beating the worst it can dish out, but part of me thinks there's more sanity in saying that beating the default setting = beating the game. Certainly I've put a lot of time -- maybe too much time -- into banging my head against the hardest settings of Sol-Feace, Shaq-Fu, Street Fighter II, and other games that don't have the initials SF. We'll see.

depends how hardcore you are, but I think the default setting is more than fine.

I got in a few minutes of extra game time last night, and played Steeplechase on the 2600 for about 10 minutes. I have a lot of practicing to do to get good at that one. I thought it'd be a simple game, but now that I have it, I see that it's not so easy.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 2, running from January 9-15. We logged 4828 minutes of eligible play, playing 43 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 966

2. Berzerk (Atari 2600) - 545

3. Sword of Fargoal (C64) - 480

4. Chiki Chiki Boys (Genesis) - 421

5. WarpSpeed (Genesis) - 380

6. Faery Tale Adventure (Genesis) - 245

7. Atari Karts (Atari Jaguar) - 210

8. Trashmania: Remix (Atari 2600) - 200

9. Illusion of Gaia (SNES) - 161

10. Xybots (Atari Lynx) - 120

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 966

2. Berzerk (Atari 2600) - 545

3. Sword of Fargoal (C64) - 480

4. Trashmania: Remix (Atari 2600) - 200

5. Caverns of Khafka (C64) - 105

6. N.O.M.A.D. (C64) - 90

7. Dig Dug (Arcade) - 60

8. Seaweed Assault (Atari 2600) - 40

9. Qix (Atari 5200) - 35

10. Backgammon (Intellivision) - 30

10. Bump 'n' Jump (Intellivision) - 30

10. Scramble (Vectrex) - 30

10. Road Fighter (ColecoVision) - 30

10. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 30

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1791)

2. Genesis (1299)

3. C64 (675)

4. Atari Jaguar (210)

4. Atari Lynx (210)

6. SNES (161)

7. N64 (97)

8. Intellivision (90)

9. Atari 5200 (70)

10. Arcade (60)

Kaboom retains its kingly abode at #1, and with an assist from #2 Berzerk, the Atari 2600 returns to the top of the charts.

• Like 1