IGNORED

Any Game Gear collectors out there?

A_Belmont

I have quite a few game gear games, for instance, Star Wars complete in box, in almost mint conditioned. Dracula and "The Phantom" games unwrapped, many other games too. I was just curious if there's much value to these games or if they're good rummage sale fodder?

Thanks for looking :D

i've got a fair bit of game gear stuff and games, i use http://www.rarityguide.com/gamegear_view.php for a guide, very unlikely i'd pay that for the more expensive ones, found it to be fairly accurate though. if you search through completed listings on ebay, you'll find what you'd likely sell one for, or if your quick you could get some bargains from there.

Thanks for the response!

Wow, looks like I have a couple that are decent - Bram Stoker's Dracula NIB (though the cellophane wrap has been torn on the front) and Phantom 2040 NIB box (with Wrapping still 100% in tact!)

Sadly I can't find either Sonic Labrynth or Shining Force, two of my favorites and easily the highest priced items I have. DARN! :D

The prices for the rarer games seem close to what I've experienced, however I am highly doubtful about the prices for more common games. The only place I've ever seen games close to those prices is at a "classic gaming store" that overcharges for everything (examples, a loose 2600 for $75, 2600 Combat cart for $5, a loose 5200 without controllers for $80, etc.). Someone is willing to pay $6 for a loose Sonic cart? They list a NIB Sonic as $40... and I guarantee no one with a clue would pay that much.

Am I wrong? Have Game Gear games tripled in value over the last year?

The prices for the rarer games seem close to what I've experienced, however I am highly doubtful about the prices for more common games. The only place I've ever seen games close to those prices is at a "classic gaming store" that overcharges for everything (examples, a loose 2600 for $75, 2600 Combat cart for $5, a loose 5200 without controllers for $80, etc.). Someone is willing to pay $6 for a loose Sonic cart? They list a NIB Sonic as $40... and I guarantee no one with a clue would pay that much.

Am I wrong? Have Game Gear games tripled in value over the last year?

yes your wrong about the price tripling ;) , the value has not increased in the slightest... just the clowns selling the gear idea of value, shits me to tears when i see the asking price of some of the games i'd like to have/collect, just because a seller see's something on the same system/ system era sell for heaps they just assume everything from then is gold. doesn't help with ebays 30 free listing every month too, thinking i might put up some comm... oh i mean rare, priceless gems from another time, up for sale :-D, though, the clown system goes two ways... but i'll whinge another time

• 1 month later...

some sellers dont know squat.

recently I was talking to a shop person in some second hand shop about me collecting Atari. And she said Oh I have got some Atari at home, I bring it in for you to see. Next time I went there she showed me the 'Atari' stuff which turned out to be a SMS with a few unboxed games. I just said sorry, I already have those and left the shop.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

some sellers dont know squat.

recently I was talking to a shop person in some second hand shop about me collecting Atari. And she said Oh I have got some Atari at home, I bring it in for you to see. Next time I went there she showed me the 'Atari' stuff which turned out to be a SMS with a few unboxed games. I just said sorry, I already have those and left the shop.

I've been there, only worse. My girlfriend's nine year old nephew refers to Nintendo 64 as Atari. I almost had a brain aneurysm.