IGNORED

Knockout Round 5: Frogger

zylon

17,860. :grin:

It took at least 10 tries (and I RESET a couple times early when things weren't going well) before I scored this high. Fortunately each game only lasts a couple minutes. It isn't THAT high a score so I'm sure someone could beat it if they really wanted to. ;)

post-37-0-49100800-1326161647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

It looks like this is gonna be my last round.

I stink at this game.

Really, everyone should be pleased just to make the final 5 with the play I've seen this season. :thumbsup: Even the record on this one just got busted.

I'm truly amazed I lasted this long so far.

• Like 1

The thing that threw my timing a few times, the game adjusts the scroll speed at weird times, sometimes right as I'm about to jump, the logs speed up. That ain't right! I'm not familiar with the coin-op version - does anyone know who closely this game mimics it?

Remember that you can touch almost the entire snake - just the front mouth part will kill you. Don't be afraid to jump on a snake as long as you can avoid the head. In one game I played, it seemed that I had truly annoyed the game and it did everything it could to kill me. :) The scroll speed changed (got faster), I got no insect bonuses and the female frog didn't appear, a croc head popped up so I couldn't go home and got squished at the screen border, etc etc. Is there a term for this type of situation, where you could swear that something is actively controlling the game trying to make you die? :)

I've done it!!!

I'm going to keep working on it... I got a bit anxious after breaking 20k, I need to relax, and maybe put out a better score

f45218ad.jpg

Is there a term for this type of situation, where you could swear that something is actively controlling the game trying to make you die? :)

I play alot of shooters, and some games feature something like this, where the better you are doing, the harder the game is... it's called 'rank' made infamous in Battle Garegga (Sega Saturn/arcade)… one strategy used in Battle Garegga is to 'suicide' to lower the rank… other older games that have this type of component are games like Zanac (NES) or Power Strike (SMS)... even good ol' Kaboom! has a form of rank and uses the strategy of suiciding to lower it…

I didn't really keep count.. but I think it may have been the 7th or 8th round?

I must confess, I have been using the Wico keypad, so all my Frogger scores have been achieved using a non stock device...

I think my overall issue with Mario Bros is that it just feels sloppy, IMO... it's like walking (and jumping) on ice... and I never feel I am in control of my movements... with Frogger, if I die, I know why... I either moved too soon, or I moved onto a turtle, and it dived... I sometimes quickly move onto a turtle with out paying attention if it's a diving turtle... I've really enjoyed Frogger since I implemented using the Wico keypad!

I may work on this score, but I need to get to playing some Qix (and Xevious ;) )

I'm curious to see what Cafeman's response play will bring. A score that high is phenomenal for that title on this system! :-o NICE job. :thumbsup:

I used a cx-40 stick handle on top of my keypad for a few of my plays. I couldn't get the multi-finger thing down other than up and right. :(

I played a few more rounds but didn't do any better, not on "Fast". The 4th and 5th levels I just can't see the patterns. Sometimes the cars slow down and its possible, but I can't manage when everything is zipping along at full speed. I don't think I'll play 5200 Frogger ever again! Trying to do better & better, the control method of stick + button was really annoying me! I never minded it for a friendly game on 'slow' back in the day, but its sadistic trying to play competitively. So my modest "high score" has been demolished! Congrats !

Very well, I shall do just that. I will select game #6: Super Cobra

This game hasn't been played in a long time in our HSC and should present an equal challenge to the surviving players.

Final scores:

Cafeman - 17,860

JacobZu7zu7 - 16,820

sdamon - 15,835

zylon - 11,545

Roadrunner - 8,120(eliminated)

Unofficial plays:

Sonic R 29,465

Thanks to all who played and best of luck to those who advance. A special congrats to Sonic R for his record bashing play on 5200 frogger! :thumbsup: :-o

Thanks guys! :)

I tried a few more times thinking I could get 30k.. but I couldn't get over 22k... I'm able to get to 20k on the slight occasion, but i just haven't been able to get near 30k again...

playing with the Wico keypad using three fingers allows me to make instant movements, which are necessary to survive on the faster moving levels... and was also more comfortable to hold... I enjoyed playing this... though the 5200 port is not a favorite among most, I love it simply because of the keypad option and I really like the fast pace of the game!

I look forward to playing Super Cobra too! I really haven't played the 5200 version much.. was kind of turned off with the way the analog control made control a challenge, but now I'm ready to give it another chance! Super Cobra is another 5200 game that seems to not be liked by many because of it's control so I am happy to take this time to play it as it probably won't see play in the 5200 HSC for a long time...

Edited by Sonic R