IGNORED

Whats new in TI-99/4A world?

pjduplooy

Perfect Tursi, everything seems to be very clear ... many thanks for your explanation ...

believe that here in Italy is different this approach to the copyright on the software ... i will read something more about...

However I must say that, personally, I think 120 years is too much when it comes to computing.

I can understand this long time for a painting or music, but for the computer is just too much ...

in 120 years in the computer have complete revolutionizes and the the material becomes obsolete very soon.

this is just my personal view and I'm also taking advantage of this "flame-thread" to get a better idea ...

thanks anyway for your contribution ;)

Edited by ti99userclub

If it's ok to keep them in I could add entries in the game info section like :-

Eg, "sidplay-99" -........................

OX.

The entries that are there are good to go your welcome to include them. Thank you for asking ;-). The SID Player I would like to keep on my site only for the time being.

I would suggest that perhaps a thread be pinned that is describing what you are doing and that you are seeking permission to include peoples works. Not that it will avoid all problems but at least keep you on the up and up. The discription will also inform people of what the game base is. My dumb ass assumed it was a game programming aid akin to Spectra....

Edited by marc.hull
  • Like 1

If it's ok to keep them in I could add entries in the game info section like :-

Eg, "sidplay-99" -........................

OX.

The entries that are there are good to go your welcome to include them. Thank you for asking ;-). The SID Player I would like to keep on my site only for the time being.

I would suggest that perhaps a thread be pinned that is describing what you are doing and that you are seeking permission to include peoples works. Not that it will avoid all problems but at least keep you on the up and up. The discription will also inform people of what the game base is. My dumb ass assumed it was a game programming aid akin to Spectra....

OK Marc, I've taken out the Sidplay-99 stuff and entered regards and website links into your other game entries, I'll get it all packed up and post new links on the events and projects page where the old link was.

OX.

OK guys, looks like some people are upset so I've pulled the link, I thought I was preserving TI99/4A software history in emulated form so I have to ask is there really any commercial interest in emulated TI99 software? Apologies I offended anyone :(

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........Apparenly there is some interest in the software, otherwise you wouldn't have built a big project around it huh ??? So what did you think you were doing..........Preserving history ??

The Gamebase projects are only ever meant as a way of preserving gaming history, the only people interested in them are a very limited audience of those that once owned the original systems and want a taste of the past in emulated form, the project did not make me a single penny of profit or contribution as it was purely done for preservation, furthermore as I have already stated links on this site have now been pulled due to your disatisfaction.

You are soooooo full of shit OX....... Your intentions were what ???

After looking at the gamebase I have to agree.

As usual, Tim. :)

FWIW, and IMO, the one who started that part apologized, would probably be best to just let the rest go. Injured parties should communicate directly with the offender and the rest don't need to be involved. :/

There's a whole lot of hurt feelings and I appreciate that, but there's never going to be a decision of right vs wrong in a forum thread, and all the harm noted that hasn't been apologized for was a hell of a long time ago, and punishments long served. ;)

Confused here Judge Judy.... What harm was done that was not apologized for ? Please speak plainly so I may understand.

FWIW, and IMO, the one who started that part apologized, would probably be best to just let the rest go. Injured parties should communicate directly with the offender and the rest don't need to be involved. :/

There's a whole lot of hurt feelings and I appreciate that, but there's never going to be a decision of right vs wrong in a forum thread, and all the harm noted that hasn't been apologized for was a hell of a long time ago, and punishments long served. ;)

Confused here Judge Judy.... What harm was done that was not apologized for ? Please speak plainly so I may understand.

When you remember how to communicate like an adult, you'll get much better responses.

When you remember how to communicate like an adult, you'll get much better responses.

Ok Mike. Exactly what are you refering to that I (assuming it's me) needs to appologize for.

Ok Mike. Exactly what are you refering to that I (assuming it's me) needs to appologize for.

It's not even you. I don't have it in for you. I just don't like talking to you since you developed your new attitude. But you were the first one to apologize. I even went so far as to both give you a rep point and call it out as a good thing. So you were done in my eyes.

Other people said things besides you. I don't think every little snipe needs to be apologized for, but my emphasis was on the fact that an apology DID happen on at least one side, and that should be reason enough for everyone to stand down. My comment about "things not apologized for" was aimed more at defusing in advance any claims that a snipe was left untouched, because someone always has at least one. It was a call to disarm and let anything that may or may not have remained go.

Seriously.

Edited by Tursi

It's not even you. I don't have it in for you. I just don't like talking to you since you developed your new attitude. But you were the first one to apologize. I even went so far as to both give you a rep point and call it out as a good thing. So you were done in my eyes.

Other people said things besides you. I don't think every little snipe needs to be apologized for, but my emphasis was on the fact that an apology DID happen on at least one side, and that should be reason enough for everyone to stand down. My comment about "things not apologized for" was aimed more at defusing in advance any claims that a snipe was left untouched, because someone always has at least one. It was a call to disarm and let anything that may or may not have remained go.

Seriously.

Understood. Sorry you don't like my attitude. We are what we are.

For Pitfall! among other things, I saw that there is already a floppy disk version downlodable for free from other ti99 known (like GameShelf) so i think that for Retroclouds it's not a problem...

For the record, I do not post any software on the Gameshelf that is currently being sold legally. Retroclouds released Pitfall! to the public domain from the onset as a free download. There is a cart now that is available from 3rd parties for sale, but that is only for those who want to convenience or the collectible value of a physical cart. I however have absolutely no qualms about posting downloads for long obsolete or commercially abandoned games, and without a single exception all the authors that have contacted me since the creation of the Gameshelf were extremely happy to have their work on display and being enjoyed once more. Furthermore, I also have not had a single request from anyone about pulling a game download off the site. Not one...

I'm getting real tired of those people who keep throwing long tirades about copyrights of long extinct games and would rather let the creative works of former authors stay buried than have them re-discovered by another generation of TIers.

• Like 7

For the record, I do not post any software on the Gameshelf that is currently being sold legally. Retroclouds released Pitfall! to the public domain from the onset as a free download. There is a cart now that is available from 3rd parties for sale, but that is only for those who want to convenience or the collectible value of a physical cart. I however have absolutely no qualms about posting downloads for long obsolete or commercially abandoned games, and without a single exception all the authors that have contacted me since the creation of the Gameshelf were extremely happy to have their work on display and being enjoyed once more. Furthermore, I also have not had a single request from anyone about pulling a game download off the site. Not one...

I'm getting real tired of those people who keep throwing long tirades about copyrights of long extinct games and would rather let the creative works of former authors stay buried than have them re-discovered by another generation of TIers.

Yeah, I even found and exchanged e-mails with Quinton Tormanean, and he was thrilled his old software was up for download.

Adamantyr

• Like 2

For Pitfall! among other things, I saw that there is already a floppy disk version downlodable for free from other ti99 known (like GameShelf) so i think that for Retroclouds it's not a problem...

Yea, yea we are all bloodthirsty criminals. This incident never really was a tirade just an argument that got blown up into a hissy fit. Never actually reached Tirade status ;-).

The initial point that I was Attempting to make was just ask if possible (like you did W.) Was never about the taboo subject of copyright infringement (never mentioned by me (I think.)) At any rate keep practicing your civil disobediance and I will keep practicing my disordly conduct.

Now if you will excuse me I have some unliscensed medicine to practice and insider trading to perpetrate.....

Merry Christmas TIer's....

COMPLETELY TOUNGE IN CHEEK FELLAS.....

• Like 1

QT was an extremely talented TI programmer, and I believe he was just a teenager at the time he programmed one of my all-time favorite TI games: War Zone 2.

Yeah... i exchanged emails with him too and invited in this forum but him said that is too much busy at the moment :-(

i think could be so much nice to have QT among us :-)

Anyway has been the Best programmer for TI-99... :)

Yea, yea we are all bloodthirsty criminals. This incident never really was a tirade just an argument that got blown up into a hissy fit. Never actually reached Tirade status ;-).

The initial point that I was Attempting to make was just ask if possible (like you did W.) Was never about the taboo subject of copyright infringement (never mentioned by me (I think.)) At any rate keep practicing your civil disobediance and I will keep practicing my disordly conduct.

Now if you will excuse me I have some unliscensed medicine to practice and insider trading to perpetrate.....

Merry Christmas TIer's....

COMPLETELY TOUNGE IN CHEEK FELLAS.....

Perfect,

are fully in line with you ...

I'm happy if everything is clear ... :)

i love all my ti99er friends ;)

now ...

Whats new in TI-99/4A world?

we could continue, right? :)

• Like 2

FWIW: TurboForth can be distributed freely, that's why it's available on turboforth.net and distributed with Classic99 - as long as it is distributed for free (there's provision for recovering reasonable expenses - burning EPROMs, postage and the like).

I charge for the cartridges and ROMs, only because it cost me to have the boards made, and buy in the EPROMs. I'm not sure if TF is included in GameBase or not? (Probably doesn't qualify, as it's not a game) but, for the record, I have no objection to it being included.

I haven't written a licence for it, and can't be bothered. I don't have time to read up on GPL and its various derivatives, so it is what it is! I don't think it should be necessary for us to formalise distribution licences for home-brew, hobby efforts. Should it?

That's all I intend to write on this subject. It depresses the hell out of me, to be honest.

• Like 2

FWIW: TurboForth can be distributed freely

I charge for the cartridges and ROMs, only because it cost me to have the boards made, and buy in the EPROMs. I'm not sure if TF is included in GameBase or not? (Probably doesn't qualify, as it's not a game) but, for the record, I have no objection to it being included.

Willsy, for me this is the right attitude... for me you are correct.

recoup expenses you got is the minimum.

You Done a BIG work and i'll to upgrade mine two cartridge :)

• Like 1

FWIW: TurboForth can be distributed freely, that's why it's available on turboforth.net and distributed with Classic99 - as long as it is distributed for free (there's provision for recovering reasonable expenses - burning EPROMs, postage and the like).

I haven't written a licence for it, and can't be bothered. I don't have time to read up on GPL and its various derivatives, so it is what it is! I don't think it should be necessary for us to formalise distribution licences for home-brew, hobby efforts. Should it?

That's all I intend to write on this subject. It depresses the hell out of me, to be honest.

No, but I'm still very much looking forward to your TI99 version of Manic Miner which I believe you were redoing in TF? ;-)

• Like 1

Copyrights last for the life of the author + some # of years or some insanely long time (thanks to Disney) for corporations unless they are recinded.

In the United States, it's life of the author + 28 years.

Disney got a pass because they proved in court that Mickey Mouse was a trademark of the company... but they also quickly released multiple new Mickey cartoons direct to video in order to address the complaint that he hasn't really been used in a manner that necessitated copyright protection. There's no doubt they circumvented the rules with a legal loophole.

Adamantyr

Disney also lobbied to get the rights of corporations extended... Lots of people, I'm sure, were hungry for that content to go into the public domain....

Edit: Sorry for the double post. grrr.

Edit 2: Wow. I just went back and read this entire thread. Holy $#@$#@ you guys really know how to beat a dead horse.

Edited by unhuman

Copyrights last for the life of the author + some # of years or some insanely long time (thanks to Disney) for corporations unless they are recinded.

In the United States, it's life of the author + 28 years.

It's life of the author plus 70 years in the US, and for works for hire it's 120 years after the date of first publication.

IOW there are no home computers with software out of copyright due to expiry. Due to explicit release, I'm less sure. There are at least two console game systems (Vectrex and Jaguar) that were officially released to public domain.