Photo

GEM GUI style them for Linux or Windows anywhere?

5 replies to this topic

#1 oky2000 OFFLINE  

oky2000

Stargunner

• 1,875 posts

Posted Sat Jan 7, 2012 8:58 AM

Someone produced a fabby Workbench/Kickstart 2.0 and 1.3 window manager for Linux but Googling I find nothing for anything either Atari ST specific or even PC GEM style. In fact I can't even find a skin for a monochrome classic Macintosh 128k style.

Is there really nothing to make using a PC less alien and more like a machine I have fond memories for???

Found an interesting single theme on Deviant Art but it's not really identical at all to GEM.

#2 almightytodd OFFLINE  

almightytodd

Dragonstomper

• 644 posts
  • Infrequent Poster

Posted Sat Jan 7, 2012 9:25 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking about this. I've even considered purchasing Stardock WindowBlinds® and making my own, because their dev-kit appears to be easier to work with than Linux GTK. I think it's interesting to note that the GEM color mode scales really well to the desktop resolutions found on modern monitors.

Edited by almightytodd, Sat Jan 7, 2012 9:25 AM.

#3 oky2000 OFFLINE  

oky2000

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,875 posts

Posted Sat Jan 7, 2012 9:29 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking about this. I've even considered purchasing Stardock WindowBlinds® and making my own, because their dev-kit appears to be easier to work with than Linux GTK. I think it's interesting to note that the GEM color mode scales really well to the desktop resolutions found on modern monitors.

I will have a look into WindowBlinds toolset thanks. I remember this application back in the days when everyone wanted XP to look like Vista (and who can blame them, the Vista GUI is one of the only improvements over XP). I eventually found a regular theme that used only free tools like UXtheme patcher etc.

#4 almightytodd OFFLINE  

almightytodd

Dragonstomper

• 644 posts
  • Infrequent Poster

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:31 AM

Here's a YouTube video showing that it has been done for Windows XP, but no indication of how it was done or info about where to get it for your own desktop... :(

#5 19Echo OFFLINE  

19Echo

Moonsweeper

• 405 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 AM

I have to ask.......where did that awesome tshirt come from lol. Gotta have one

Edited by 19Echo, Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 AM.

#6 DarkLord OFFLINE  

DarkLord

River Patroller

• 2,755 posts

Posted Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:23 AM

I've got one of those - coolness indeed.

http://teenormous.co...-Online-1014332

http://www.stylinonl...-represent.html

http://www.wearyourb...tari-m-237.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users