IGNORED

3DS vs PSP

The PSP can do some really awesome graphics and 3D too!Anyone ever fully unlock Metal Gear Acid 2 (like me) and use the 3D viewer supplied to view those JAWDROPPINGLY AWESOME GIRLIE SCANS!!!Let's see 3DS do THAT!! (*pant* *pant* *pant* *pant*) YEAH,BABY!!!

Uh,maybe not for the "under 17 crowd" out there... LOL :)

IMO the 3DS has PSP quality graphics but with the added lenticular 3D effect. The 3DS doesn't feel or look more powerful to me, which is disappointing considering the PSP was released in 2004 (Japan) and the 3DS in 2011.

To my surprise, there were more interesting (to me) PSP games released in the first several months of the PSP's life than there have been on the 3DS.

As stated by someone else earlier, the PSP has better battery life... 2-3 times better if games are being run off a Memory Stick and not UMD.

Truthfully, I expected more both from the 3DS hardware and the current lineup of games.

It looks too close to call to me. I'm not sure why sony's abandoned a system that can still go toe to toe with nintendo's newest. Hitting youtube, it seems like ridge racer is probably as fair a comparison as there can be. From looking at screenshots, there seems to be a exaggerated 'chunkiness' with 3ds edges that I don't care for (DS has it too)--but of course 3ds does try and balance it out by offering 3d. There's some side-by-side in the below vid if you skip about 2/3 through. 3ds is on the left, psp on the right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrGZvwG6v0

Edited by Reaperman

Ridge Racer was a superior game on PSP when considering the length and depth of the game.The graphics compared fairly closely too on DS/3DS,though I'd give the graphical edge to PSP really.I like 3DS best with the disorienting 3D turned off!It adds a little sometimes though.

Another neat title for beatiful graphics on PSP is Out Run 2006 Coast 2 Coast! :)

Judging by what I've seen, the 3DS is graphically superior. The PSP was tapped out with games like God of War (which looks amazing, by the way), and many games on the 3DS are already just as impressive, if not more so. Things like the bump mapping help bring the visual quality of some games up to the Game Cube/early XBOX level.

On the flip side though, after spending about a week and a half with my 3DS, I can rightfully say that the PSP is far more comfortable.

So far, the 3ds games like the new Resident Evil game coming out look way better than psp games. and also, remember when the ps3/xbox360 or for that matter, when any game console barely comes out, the graphics are usually just a smidge better. Its like going from Resistance 1 (which looked almost like a ps2 game with HD) to uncharted 3 sort of thing. when game developers become more familiar with the hardware, the games will look better. I would compare an early psp game to an early 3ds game and when the 3ds is a few years older, then compare a later psp game with a later 3ds game.

Sure. What I see with NFSU vs ridge racer is that the 3ds's ridge racer has better more detailed backrounds with equivelent cars. It seems on the psp that the buildings are just cubes with textures.

Edit: holy cow on ridge racer 3d the cars have a neat reflection effect on them. That's cool. Instead of some generic specular map texture, it reflects objects in the game. In the video I'm watching, when the car went under the bride, you could see the bridge in the window. Thats cool.

Anyway, one thing that I dislike about the psp's graphics is that in most games, there appears to be dithering on some textures and stuff. It makes the whole thing look as clear as mud. Even Peace Walker has it. The 3ds's picture looks more clear to me.

Edited by Tr3vor

To me, they look te same, just the 3DS is, well, 3D :P I like the 3DS stick better than the PSP one (or at least the placement) but the DPad placement sucks. The PSP is more comfortable to hold. The DS has better build quality on the games.

Of course, the 3DS is new, lots of people dont know what to do with it yet. Come back in a year or two and see what is coming out then.

I haven't liked handhelds since the GBA (last good one IMO) but I got plenty of use out of my PSP, and I see the 3DS getting as much use over the next couple of years.

Anyhow, graphics about the same either way.

Not sure what is with the smart assing (other than a typical attempt to start some schit LOL) I know the 3D effect doesn't work for all (read: less than the majority) but it works fine for me, thank you very much.

It has nothing to do with the 3D effect. You can tell the 3DS is capable of more simply by the new effects and the obviously-higher polygon counts. Considering it's still very early in the platform's life, it makes you wonder how games on it will look two or three years down the line. This isn't rocket science, dude.

Best example--play any water-based stage in Star Fox 64 3D, then go back and play a PSP game immediately afterward. If you cannot see the difference, you seriously need to have your eyes checked, or step out of topics that are based around objective observations.

The 3D effect works for anyone with two eyes (seriously, try playing it with one eye shut).

I have two eyes that both function. But one doesn't function right, making me incapable of seeing this 3D effect. And there are plenty of other people with conditions like uncorrected lazy eye that are in a similar position.

I have two eyes that both function. But one doesn't function right, making me incapable of seeing this 3D effect. And there are plenty of other people with conditions like uncorrected lazy eye that are in a similar position.

My eyes are a bit wonky and the 3D effect doesn't work appropriately for me in certain games. Nano Assault, for instance, I cannot get a good view without slightly seeing double of everything on-screen. I'm hoping my glasses coming in next week will help it.