IGNORED

Michael Pachter

Mendon

Is analyst Michael Pachter someone who can be believed or is he someone to ignore?

He recently made two predictions:

1) That the Wii-U will cost 400 euro's (slightly over $500)

2) "The Wii-U has complicated game design for developers, who can't figure out if the Wii-U will ultimately support only one or multiple controllers. Nintendo is all but assured of limited third party launch support".

Link to his quote: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/12/pachter-says-wii-u-is-just-an-xbox-360-with-a-tablet-controller-and-not-next-gen/

For myself, I can't see any company releasing a new system at $500 in this current economic climate. And I can't see Nintendo not telling 3rd party companies what their intention for the system will be as far as controllers. Or memory or graphic's or whatever.

My knee jerk reaction is that Michael Pachter doesn't know what he is talking about. But I haven't followed him at all so I have no idea if he is a source to be trusted.

Any thoughts?

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I know that he's very well respected in the industry, so I don't think he's like a 'futurist' or something. And I suspect that in that role and working for a large Financial Securities and Analytical firm (Wedbush I believe) he's made a lot of contacts from which he can get decent information.

But in the end he's an analyst who's speculating (albeit informed speculation), so I don't think you can necessarily take what he says as gospel.

Apparently his family and friends think he's gone a little crazy so I wouldn't put too much faith in what he says.

I wouldn't put too much faith in satire either.

All he says is that he has a very closed definition on what next-gen is. Defining such a thing as "next-gen" is a paradox in itself, heck, even the original NES/Famicom hardware spans over two generations - Unchanged.

• 6 months later...

2) "The Wii-U has complicated game design for developers, who can't figure out if the Wii-U will ultimately support only one or multiple controllers. Nintendo is all but assured of limited third party launch support".

Link to his quote: http://mynintendonew...d-not-next-gen/

For myself, I can't see any company releasing a new system at $500 in this current economic climate. And I can't see Nintendo not telling 3rd party companies what their intention for the system will be as far as controllers. Or memory or graphic's or whatever.

I can see Sony trying to put out a 500+ dollar console myself, but that's because I think they're detached from reality. Time will tell.

What I don't see is Nintendo trying to do that. Hell, that's one of the reasons why they put out the underpowered Wii (compared to 360/PS3) - to keep costs down and work/focus on other areas to make up for it. They've announced 2 controllers more or less now. The main one with the screen, and a classic type of controller. I'm going to guess devs will be able to pick and choose.

• 4 weeks later...

People paid Sony $700+ for the original Phat 3, so I think anything is possible. Look what the 3do sold for, the Neo Geo home version.... considering Nintendo has made some of the dumbest decisions in console gaming, there's no telling what they'll do. Watch an interview with the creator of Zelda sometime, he is one of the most delusional Suits I've ever seen in my life.

They're out of their mind if they think they're going to 'ever' get more than $2-250 out of me for the U.

• Like 1

People paid Sony $700+ for the original Phat 3, so I think anything is possible. Look what the 3do sold for, the Neo Geo home version.... considering Nintendo has made some of the dumbest decisions in console gaming, there's no telling what they'll do. Watch an interview with the creator of Zelda sometime, he is one of the most delusional Suits I've ever seen in my life.

They're out of their mind if they think they're going to 'ever' get more than $2-250 out of me for the U.

Are you referring to Shigeru Miyamoto?

Are you referring to Shigeru Miyamoto?

? The guy that made Donky Kong. He's behind some of the most pivotal and amazing IPs of all time no doubt... but to watch him speak about Current Gen gaming, and gaming Hardware in general made me want to vomit... he's beyond out of touch with the real world.

^^^ I beg to differ. Mr. Miyamoto has always been in touch. His excentricities don't seem to affect his judgement or ability to make money. The commercial vitality of Nintendo was beyond reproach before the 3DS launch, and even that system is gathering steam. Nintendo will be able to make a decent amount of money from the available market, but mobile gaming has changed the game forever. I think that the Wii U will probably do quite well; it seems to have a diverse launch line-up ahead of it.

^^^ I beg to differ. Mr. Miyamoto has always been in touch. His excentricities don't seem to affect his judgement or ability to make money. The commercial vitality of Nintendo was beyond reproach before the 3DS launch, and even that system is gathering steam. Nintendo will be able to make a decent amount of money from the available market, but mobile gaming has changed the game forever. I think that the Wii U will probably do quite well; it seems to have a diverse launch line-up ahead of it.

:lol:

Where's Metroid with a world 10x the size of the original Metroid with a non linear progression, RPG elements, and a new and solid 2.5d engine? Where's a revision of their old IPs done correctly, with non linearity, tons of progression, platforming, action, and new two dimensional engines with current 3d trickery? Where's a new and fresh Mario game, something that's about 10x the size of S. Mario World with 40-50 worlds, non linearity, and everything else we love about that IP...?

Where's all that stuff?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I stumbled across this inadvertantly while searching for another. I read some of Mr. Pachter's unflattering comments about the Wii U around last week or so. I am wondering what his credentials are, and if his prior predictions in other matters have been accurate. I do know that he had predicted an early death for the DS and Wii...

far as i know all his predictions for Nintendo have been false to this point. That said there is a lot of negativity towards nintendo and the Wii U from Pachter and western game studios including EA. All of this press along with a slow roll out can only hurt nintendo.

The gamecube and Wii have some great games even without HD graphics that if you get the chance should be enjoyed.

• 1 year later...

Is analyst Michael Pachter someone who can be believed or is he someone to ignore?

Link to his quote: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/12/pachter-says-wii-u-is-just-an-xbox-360-with-a-tablet-controller-and-not-next-gen/

My knee jerk reaction is that Michael Pachter doesn't know what he is talking about. But I haven't followed him at all so I have no idea if he is a source to be trusted.

Any thoughts?

Mendon

I wished to revive this thread for two reasons. First, I think that it's interesting for us to look back on our predictions and excitement for the Wii U, and find out where we were right and wrong. A time machine of perspective, so to speak. Secondly, I wanted to comment on the sage wisdom of Pachter (jk). The Wii U did turn out to be excluded by the third parties, for the most part, but I think that this was more to do with having different internal hardware than the two other leading consoles and thus being requiring extra resources to develop for. Pachter's correct prediction comes from throwing enough doo doo at the wall: some of it stuck. I still think he has a major grudge against Nintendo.

Edited by toptenmaterial