IGNORED

Electrical Contact Cleaners

cOLeCoHiTMan

Hi.. was thinking of trying a switch cleaning using instructions on the web.

I couldn't find De-Oxit in Canada but I got MotoMaster Electrical Contact Cleaner from Canadian Tire.

I got it home and was looking at the can and it says:

Effectively removes oil and other films - without leaving a residue - from contacts, connections and switches

etc.

Then it says "Do not use on circuit boards or home electronic equipment"

Does anyone know why??

Are their alternatives in Canada?

I have seen contact cleaners that come in spray cans made for electronic devices at automotive and boat (sport) shops and departments that say they are OK for use on circuit boards, and have used them, but they generally are good for removing obvious physical dirt, not really cleaning the contacts like you want to do with video games. De-oxit is really the best I've used, and worth hunting down and buying. You only need a very tiny amount for each cartridge (or whatever), so one can will last a VERY long time if you use it wisely. Best procedure: clean with 99% (or 91% rubbing alcohol) first, then with a little De-oxit/Pro-gold.

I have seen contact cleaners that come in spray cans made for electronic devices at automotive and boat (sport) shops and departments that say they are OK for use on circuit boards, and have used them, but they generally are good for removing obvious physical dirt, not really cleaning the contacts like you want to do with video games. De-oxit is really the best I've used, and worth hunting down and buying. You only need a very tiny amount for each cartridge (or whatever), so one can will last a VERY long time if you use it wisely. Best procedure: clean with 99% (or 91% rubbing alcohol) first, then with a little De-oxit/Pro-gold.

You nailed it.

After I posted this, I found that DeOxit is carried at Longe and Macquaid music stores in Canada.

Is this the proper kind to get?

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6205/Guitars/Accessories/Hosa/DeoxIT_-_Contact_Cleaner_Rejuvenator.htm

It mentions "Lubricates" and I don't think I want that.

After I posted this, I found that DeOxit is carried at Longe and Macquaid music stores in Canada. Is this the proper kind to get? http://www.long-mcqu...Rejuvenator.htm It mentions "Lubricates" and I don't think I want that.

I didn't know Long and McQuade sold De-Oxit. I'm also in Canada and like you couldn't find it anywhere. I ended up ordering it directly from Caig. Expensive but worth it - I've had mine for three years and there's still many years life left in what I have.

Maybe overkill, but I bought the following:

- D5MS-15 DeoxIT D5 Mini Spray 5% - this is a small 14g spray can that after many uses is still well over half full. Warning - the Long and McQuade spray can is a whopping big 142g can (a lot more economical mind you - twice the price for 10 times the weight)

- GN5MS-15 DeoxIT Gold GN5 Mini Spray 5% Sol 14g (strangely this can is much emptier than my one above - I must use more of it for some reason). I'm not convinced that the Gold is really necessary for our needs so would appreciate others commenting here.

- D100L-25C DeoxIT prec. needle 25 ml (I mainly use this for areas where contacts are inaccessible). This is much stronger than the D5 solutions above.

Would be good to know what specific DeoxIT product(s) that Yurkie uses.

Edited by Ikrananka

If you want one product to cover all your ends

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1703/.f?sc=2&category=188

Buy this in Canada if possible. I called Caig and sent you an email for Canadian distributors. The lady said you can buy from caig.com but shipping is $25 to 30 bucks.

Here is a copy and paste portion of the email I sent Brett

Clean old grease off with 99% alcohol and then put one drop on each contact spot, if using on a larger area, apply a few drops and smear the drops over the surface with the end of the needle dropper. Let it sit on the surface for 5 minutes and then wipe off with q-tips. You don't have to wipe it off if using on something like a cart slot. Use a little lithium grease to protect the contact from corrosion. Dielectric simply means non conductive, and you want lithium, because petroleum based grease damages plastic.

If you want one product to cover all your ends

http://store.caig.co...=2&category=188

Buy this in Canada if possible. I called Caig and sent you an email for Canadian distributors. The lady said you can buy from caig.com but shipping is $25 to 30 bucks.

Yep - that's the third one in the list of those I bought. I have a few pinball machines I've been refurbishing and use the Deoxit sprays on large areas such as light bulb holders. I could use the D100 deoxit for such purposes as well I suppose and may well do so when my D5 spray runs out. As you say the shipping to Canada from Caig is a killer for such small purchases.

http://www.intertexelectronics.com/GC-Electronics-19-1906-De-Ox-Id-Contact-Cleaner-Aerosol-4-Oz-P9157.aspx

This is what I use. Way cheaper than deoxit and does pretty much the same thing. Also it is plastic safe. I use it on a qtip and a little goes a long way. It disolves oxidation just like de oxit. You can watch the corrosion dissolve as it works.

Use a little lithium grease to protect the contact from corrosion. Dielectric simply means non conductive, and you want lithium, because petroleum based grease damages plastic.

Is this safe for dielectric grease?

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/lubricants/specialty_lubricants/auto_Permatex_Dielectric_Tune-Up_Grease_1.htm

1. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION

Product Name: 67VR DIELECTRIC TUNE-UP GREASE .33 OZ

Item No: 81150

Product Type: Lubricant

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Component Weight% ACGIH; TLV-TWA OSHA PEL

POLYDIMETHYLSILOXANE

63148-62-9

>70 Not listed Not listed

MODIFIED SILICON DIOXIDE

68611-44-9

<10 Not listed Not listed