Photo

SNES Atari Collection 1 and the SNES Mouse?

33 replies to this topic

#1 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 8,502 posts

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Super Nintendo mouse works with the Atari Collection 1 cart - it contains Asteroids, Battlezone, Centiipede, Missile Command, Super Breakout and Tempest. Some of those games, especially Super Breakout, Missile Command, Tempest and maybe Centipede would benefit from a more precise control scheme like a mouse. Just wondering if anyone can confirm if actually works with this game before I both hunting down a mouse.

Wikipedia doesn't mention it but hey, its wikipedia and by the articles own admission, the game list mentioned is not exhaustive.

#2 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,828 posts

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 PM

Not to mention some of the games listed on the Wikipedia page are actually *not* compatible with the mouse, heh. I'd check for you, but I only have the Williams collection, unfortunately. I should have snagged that Atari compilation I saw a few days back just for a few bucks..

#3 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,315 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:20 AM

How do you get Tempest on the SNES version??

#4 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,502 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 PM

How do you get Tempest on the SNES version??

Not sure what you mean by "get Tempest on the SNES version", its part of the six games on this Atari Collection 1 cart. It plays pretty good with the snes gamepad but it still would be better with a paddle style controller though. I was just wondering if the SNES mouse would work. Super Breakout really suffers and is almost unplayable with a digital gamepad but Tempest is still playable and quite enjoyable.

#5 TheGameCollector OFFLINE  

TheGameCollector

Stargunner

• 1,012 posts

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 PM

If I were you I'd just get a copy of Mario Paint with the mouse either way. It's really fun to swat those flies with the mouse in that minigame and see how many times you can get through it. It gets harder every time.

And oh yeah, duh I could find out for you if I had time. I have a mouse and the SNES powerpak.

Edited by TheGameCollector, Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 PM.

#6 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,290 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 PM

Just try it in an emulator; they support the mouse, right?

#7 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,089 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 AM

Sadly, it doesn't have mouse support for Super Breakout and Missile Command (I doubt it would've been very useful in Tempest).

Edited by Atariboy, Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 AM.

#8 pce_collector OFFLINE  

pce_collector

Moonsweeper

• 450 posts
  • Powered Up

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:02 PM

Perhaps a Turbo Touch 360 might work?

#9 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,502 posts

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:30 PM

I saw one of these in a thrift store just this morning as a matter of fact. Sadly it had the cord end cut off but it was definitely a turbo touch 360

#10 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,315 posts

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 PM

Was there a Genesis version??

#11 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,502 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:15 AM

Of the game? I don't think so. Genesis just got the Williams Arcade Hits which had Robotron, Defender, Stargate/Defender II/ Joust, and Sinistar. The Atari Collection 1 is only on SNES and PS1 IIRC

#12 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,828 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:08 PM

The Atari Collection 1 is only on SNES and PS1 IIRC

Add the Saturn to that list as well. :)

It would have been nice to see the Atari collection on the Genesis. IIRC, the Williams collection runs much nicer on the Genny than it does on the SNES.

#13 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,290 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:10 PM

Not any better than your standard controller, and probably worse.

Edited by Rex Dart, Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:10 PM.

#14 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,315 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 AM

I don't see the game on ebay.. as much

#15 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,828 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 PM

I don't see the game on ebay.. as much

The Atari Compilation on the SNES is much less common than the Williams Collection. I think NintendoAge rates it a rarity 6 or 7.

#16 FujiSkunk ONLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,947 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:49 PM

No. Blame Sega.

Sega decided to hop on the arcade nostalgia wagon and released Arcade Classics for the Genesis, a collection featuring Centipede, Missile Command and Pong. Since the rights to those games were already taken, Midway was unable to release their Atari compilation for the Genesis.

Sadly, Sega's ports of the games aren't as good, even with the optional graphical enhancements they offer.

#17 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,828 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 PM

Sadly, Sega's ports of the games aren't as good, even with the optional graphical enhancements they offer.

Yeah, that compilation of "remakes" is pretty bad. :lol:

#18 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 5,089 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 PM

I forgot this collection had Centipede. Such a shame that it lacks mouse support.

I was about to jump in and say that I bet it was the fact that Sega had all but abandoned the Genesis by that point as the reason why it wasn't released on this system. But I see this Sega developed compilation was released in 1996. I assumed by how poor I remember that release being that it must've been done early in the life of the Genesis, not near the end.

So I bet you're right.

Edited by Atariboy, Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 PM.

#19 FujiSkunk ONLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,947 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 PM

I was about to jump in and say that I bet it was the fact that Sega had all but abandoned the Genesis by that point as the reason why it wasn't released on this system. But I see this Sega developed compilation was released in 1996. I assumed by how poor I remember that release being that it must've been done early in the life of the Genesis, not near the end.

Maybe, but it's also possible Sega just wanted to a make a quick buck without too much effort.

Here's some fuel for the debate: Sega released a similar compilation for the Master System in 1992 called Arcade Smash Hits, and then also released Arcade Classics for the Game Gear in 1996, the same year they released the Genesis collection. All three collections have Centipede and Missile Command, but the consoles got Pong while the Game Gear got Breakout as the third title.

So, regardless of whether the Genesis collection was coded in 1992 or 1996, it seems likely Sega had the rights secured to those games for their cartridge-based systems long before Midway planned their collection. But Sega either licensed them only for those specific consoles, or only secured rights for "cartridges" and not "discs"*, allowing Midway to release the games on the Sega Saturn.

But, the result is the same any which way: Blame Sega.

* Lawyers love to create licenses for each little thing, which is why there are two different versions of Frogger on the 2600, two different versions of Zaxxon on the C-64, and so forth.

Edited by FujiSkunk, Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 PM.

#20 rockman_x_2002 OFFLINE  

rockman_x_2002

Stargunner

• 1,599 posts

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 PM

Here's some fuel for the debate: Sega released a similar compilation for the Master System in 1992 called Arcade Smash Hits, and then also released Arcade Classics for the Game Gear in 1996, the same year they released the Genesis collection. All three collections have Centipede and Missile Command, but the consoles got Pong while the Game Gear got Breakout as the third title.

The Game Gear version actually has Pong on it, too. In fact, it's Ultrapong. I have the GG version of this compilation, so I went and dug it out to double-check. Haven't seen the Genesis version of the game. The SMS version has Breakout on it, though.

#21 FujiSkunk ONLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 5,947 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:15 PM

The Game Gear version actually has Pong on it, too. In fact, it's Ultrapong. I have the GG version of this compilation, so I went and dug it out to double-check. Haven't seen the Genesis version of the game. The SMS version has Breakout on it, though.

Whoops, you're right. That Wikipedia article isn't exactly the most clearly written.

#22 rockman_x_2002 OFFLINE  

rockman_x_2002

Stargunner

• 1,599 posts

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:07 PM

Whoops, you're right. That Wikipedia article isn't exactly the most clearly written.

Quite alright. Wikipedia does tend to have that problem on some pages. :-D

#23 NinjaWarrior OFFLINE  

NinjaWarrior

Stargunner

• 1,315 posts

Posted Wed Feb 1, 2012 11:28 PM

I just bought a Copy on ebay, for $10...don't know if the price going to go up or not...

#24 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 8,828 posts

Posted Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:17 PM

I just bought a Copy on ebay, for $10...don't know if the price going to go up or not...

Again, it's much less common than the Williams collection. You typically only see one or two copies on eBay at a time. The price will naturally be slightly higher.

#25 TheGameCollector OFFLINE  

TheGameCollector

Stargunner

• 1,012 posts

Posted Thu Feb 2, 2012 7:22 PM

Again, it's much less common than the Williams collection. You typically only see one or two copies on eBay at a time. The price will naturally be slightly higher.

Maybe so, but again it's demand that matters. With this game also available on Playstation and Saturn, I don't see its demand climbing very much. Especially when Saturn has the best official arcade stick of these systems.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users