Photo

Shoot'em up

85 replies to this topic

#51 skip OFFLINE  

skip

Moonsweeper

• 413 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 AM

I know a couple of the more 'simple' programming languages reasonably well...I've been meaning to learn something more applicable to the real world (like C!). I look forward to it. Thanks . :)

#52 rush6432 OFFLINE  

rush6432

Moonsweeper

• 316 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 AM

Cool! someone programming in C finally!

#53 ACrystal2011 OFFLINE  

ACrystal2011

Dragonstomper

• 583 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:21 PM

why don't people who develop for the Jag try for something great? I'm not being a hater , but (oops!) these homebrews are not exactly pushing the Jag hardware, not even a little bit.

Ok I have to agree with so_tough on this one. This game looks like a good start but not a finished game. With alittle more coding and some better sprites this could be a great shooter. But as it is now it seems unfinished to me. It's nice to see people developing for jag but why not keep working on a game till it is finished (Blackout looks good by the way, I love puzzle games).

#54 so_tough! OFFLINE  

so_tough!

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts
  • at the mad hatter's tea party...

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 PM

why don't people who develop for the Jag try for something great? I'm not being a hater , but (oops!) these homebrews are not exactly pushing the Jag hardware, not even a little bit.

Ok I have to agree with so_tough on this one. This game looks like a good start but not a finished game. With alittle more coding and some better sprites this could be a great shooter. But as it is now it seems unfinished to me. It's nice to see people developing for jag but why not keep working on a game till it is finished (Blackout looks good by the way, I love puzzle games).

You would buy it anyway! and you know it! Little miss shopping addict!

#55 swapd0 OFFLINE  

swapd0

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:50 PM

I'll release the full source code within a few days. People will be able to easily change the graphics and sounds. I think the code itself isn't very hard to understand (it's written in C language).

Which C compiler are you using?

#56 DrTypo OFFLINE  

DrTypo

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 PM

I'm using VBCC.

#57 DrTypo OFFLINE  

DrTypo

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:20 PM

I set up a web site with a new NTSC version of the game and the full source code:
http://perso.numeric.../drtypo/jaguar/

#58 Sauron OFFLINE  

Sauron

Quadrunner

• 5,347 posts
  • In the land of Mordor.

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 PM

Comments like this really aren't necessary, and it would be appreciated if you could keep your whining to yourself or take them to a more <a href="http://jagmod.com/pr...php">closed-off forum</a> where it will be more appreciated.

#59 ACrystal2011 OFFLINE  

ACrystal2011

Dragonstomper

• 583 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 PM

Im sorry i thought what i said was actually pretty nice (this could be a great shooter) i just think it would benefit from a little more polish but as a free download with source that someone could use to make a full scale game, its decent. Ill leave now before i upset anyone further

#60 Sauron OFFLINE  

Sauron

Quadrunner

• 5,347 posts
  • In the land of Mordor.

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:17 PM

Im sorry i thought what i said was actually pretty nice (this could be a great shooter) i just think it would benefit from a little more polish but as a free download with source that someone could use to make a full scale game, its decent. Ill leave now before i upset anyone further

This was most likely a programming exercise that was done in a few days by someone programming on the Jag for the first time. Complaining that there just isn't enough there isn't going to be taken by anyone as a compliment, It's like being served a free meal and complaining that there's not enough salt on the food.

#61 twoquickcapri OFFLINE  

twoquickcapri

Stargunner

• 1,191 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:28 PM

Comments like this really aren't necessary, and it would be appreciated if you could keep your whining to yourself or take them to a more <a href="http://jagmod.com/pr...php">closed-off forum</a> where it will be more appreciated.

Where is the 7800 and Jaguar Section? Its alittle weird for an atari forum to not have them.

Also, Thanks for taking the time program something for the Jaguar. I look forward to more.

#62 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,609 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 PM

Where is the 7800 and Jaguar Section? Its alittle weird for an atari forum to not have them.

I suppose if you really want to partake in a pointless backwater forum of 8 users, ruled with an iron fist by a severely unhinged nut job, you take what you can get.

#63 twoquickcapri OFFLINE  

twoquickcapri

Stargunner

• 1,191 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 PM

I'm guessing that gorf there is the same one that was on here.

#64 so_tough! OFFLINE  

so_tough!

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:52 AM

You were nice! Take no notice of them.

#65 Sauron OFFLINE  

Sauron

Quadrunner

• 5,347 posts
  • In the land of Mordor.

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:59 AM

I think it's quite necessary for someone to take notice when a moderator has stated something regarding comments in a thread. We've had enough game release threads crapped on in this forum. Can we have just ONE where people don't feel the need to bring up anything negative in it??

#66 so_tough! OFFLINE  

so_tough!

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:08 AM

I think it's quite necessary for someone to take notice when a moderator has stated something regarding comments in a thread. We've had enough game release threads crapped on in this forum. Can we have just ONE where people don't feel the need to bring up anything negative in it??

Oh yeah sorry, just sticking up for a friend. Over and out.

#67 rush6432 OFFLINE  

rush6432

Moonsweeper

• 316 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 AM

Sauron has a point. seems like most see a homebrew title and immediately complain. if someone wants to step up to the plate and make something better IN THEIR FREE TIME. please do so. i myself would be 100 percent supportive to the developer(s) in any way i can.

#68 swapd0 OFFLINE  

swapd0

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 AM

I'm using VBCC.

Some time ago I tried to include a Jaguar output to vbcc but it didn't work. Do you have a Jaguar target? Another solution is generate a TOS output and use a program to relocate the relocatable-TOS-file to a fixed address...

Let me know, I need it...

Edited by swapd0, Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 AM.

#69 DrTypo OFFLINE  

DrTypo

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:54 PM

Some time ago I tried to include a Jaguar output to vbcc but it didn't work. Do you have a Jaguar target? Another solution is generate a TOS output and use a program to relocate the relocatable-TOS-file to a fixed address...

Let me know, I need it...

I use the jag dev tools from Michael Hill's website: http://www.hillsoftw...com/?page_id=14
The jag dev tools are at the first link (jag dev tools v1.02, 5Mb installer).
So my vbcc were pretty much configured out of the box. I had to changed the search path in vc.cfg (this file is located in BIN/cfg directory).

#70 swapd0 OFFLINE  

swapd0

Moonsweeper

• 421 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:49 PM

Thanks!!!

Downloading...

#71 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,653 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 PM

Thanks for the release, and double thanks for the source code.

#72 skip OFFLINE  

skip

Moonsweeper

• 413 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 AM

Thanks :) This is great. Not that I'll probably have much time to look over this during the next few months :(

This might be a dumb question, but is the C compiler an ST one? I have an ST and a TT, but I'm not sure where they are, I think they're stored at my old house, haha. I suppose an emulator would work for this.

Another question - you've provided the original graphics files and the Jag graphics files - a simple assumption would be that if new graphics for the game were created then converted (I've seen tools somewhere, can't remember...Justclaws perhaps) then it was compiled again it would (or should) work fine?

#73 rush6432 OFFLINE  

rush6432

Moonsweeper

• 316 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:40 AM

Yeah most likely. i briefely looked through the source, but dont remember what format he used. IF it's rgb/cry, then jagtool.exe should do you right (atari windows conversion tool with basic rgb/cry conversion) or there are a few underground tools that do quite a bit more in terms of format conversion that i THINK are hosted at jagware.org (just going from memory here)

Edited by rush6432, Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 AM.

#74 GT Turbo OFFLINE  

GT Turbo

Dragonstomper

• 581 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 AM

Yeah most likely. i briefely looked through the source, but dont remember what format he used. IF it's rgb/cry, then jagtool.exe should do you right (atari windows conversion tool with basic rgb/cry conversion) or there are a few underground tools that do quite a bit more in terms of format conversion that i THINK are hosted at jagware.org (just going from memory here)

Yes, Zerosquare has put together a lot of tools :

http://www.jagware.o...p?showtopic=836

GT :)

#75 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,674 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 AM

Isn't there stuff already in the Atari libraries to automatically deal with PAL and NTSC differences?

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I don't plan to work much more on this projet. However I'll adapt the screen size to 320x200 and make a few minor adjustement to the gameplay.
For those curious, the difficulty is maxed out at level 19. I did a few sessions at this level and I can barely keep up. I can survive for maybe 20 seconds. However since I'm not very good at shoot them ups I thought all the hardcore gamers here could manage the difficulty. :P
I'll release the full source code within a few days. People will be able to easily change the graphics and sounds. I think the code itself isn't very hard to understand (it's written in C language).

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users