Photo

2600 4 button - PCB is hand-written (no silkscreen). Rare? Comments?

2600 pcb

4 replies to this topic

#1 scottinNH OFFLINE  

scottinNH

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:14 PM

I took apart my 2600 (4-port) in preparation to install the electronicsentimentalities.com S-Video board.

Compared to all the other 2600's I've seen, this one is odd because there is no silkscreen at all... all the component locations were meticulously hand-labeled with a fine marker.
The board is ©1980, rev 8. There is no serial number on the bottom of the case - just a red sticker "Atari Super Service".

I'm guessing this means nothing exciting (like a prototype), except this was a rebuild/repair (and Atari was cheap enough to recycle a batch of PCBs that came out without the silkscreen).

~~~

Unrelated - I'm excited to finish wiring in this video daughterboard (this is why some TIA pins are unseated).
I hooked the 2600 up to my LCD TV using the original RF, and it was unwatchable. On an older tube TV, it was a little better (but still full of static).
The photos I've seen for completed installs look awesome! :)

-Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20120115_160139.jpg
  • IMG_20120115_162536.jpg

#2 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 PM

I can't answer your questions as to the writing, except that I don't think it's that rare. I do believe I've seen that before.

But what do you mean by "2600 4-port"? I've never heard of a 4 port 2600. Do you mean 4 switch?

#3 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 AM

The really odd thing is that I believe the 4 switch (we all know what you ment to say) is version 14... maybe 15... of the PCB. Is that perhaps one especily made for referbishments?

#4 scottinNH OFFLINE  

scottinNH

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 20 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 AM

Thanks for the replies.

If the 4 switch is normally a higher rev PCB, then it's probable this PCB was a repair swap. Perhaps they did A run of boards earlier, and forgot the silkscreen... Come repair time, this was a cheaper or available part. Nothing special then, oh well.

#5 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 PM

... the 4 switch (we all know what you ment to say)

Yes, I was pretty sure. But just in case there was some model mixup, I was checking. Some of the 5200s are 4-port.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users