IGNORED

NES Knockout HSC Round 1 - Contra

CGQuarterly

This season, the NES HSC is going to participate in the AA-wide knockout competition.

The cool thing about this is that the winner of each knockout tournament will enter into a grand championship tournament to crown the high score king of Atari Age!

See the rules here:

http://www.atariage....t-announcement/

Basically whoever gets last place gets knocked out of the competition. If you fail to submit a score, you are automatically knocked out. If you don't think that you will be able to consistently submit scores, maybe it's better for you to skip this season. The tournament will end when there is only one player left standing.

Whoever gets the second-lowest score will pick the next game. If no game is picked within 24 hours, then I pick. The only rules of game picking are that the game cannot already have been played this season, and the game must keep score (duh).

There are no "sign-ups" for this tournament. You sign up by submitting a score for this round.

If you get knocked out, you can still compete in the NES HSC, but your score will not count towards the knockout tournament. So I'll be posting 2 sets of results for each round.

Yes, we've played Contra before, but I think it's a great choice for the first round of a knockout tournament.

Title: Contra

Developer: Konami

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: 1987 (US)

Rules:

No Konami code! (Duh)

This round will end on Sunday, January 29th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWMyoNhGHbk

Scores so far:

1. Austin 3,130,300

2. asponge 2,325,400

3. cparsely 1,049,800

4. Sonic R 818,800

5. bigbee99 96,300

6. LarcenTyler 77,900

7. Jibbajaba 76,200

8. roadrunner 35,500

Current standings:

Edited by Jibbajaba

I wanted to try and cap out the score, but I got bored and tired on my fourth or fifth run and made myself lose all my lives. I think on a normal single playthrough, you gain something along the lines of 8 extra lives, so it even took me a while to make myself die. :lol:

post-24675-0-10919400-1327223890_thumb.jpg

I'm going to jump in on this...

I'm wayyy out of practice with Contra but played it quick to get a score up...

a910e0d6.jpg

bear the first loop, did rather sloppy! then I died just right before the first boss, lost my spread :mad:

well I tried to wait out for red guys is the base, and wasted more lives doing so... and my game ended in the waterfall of the second loop...

my personal best is beating 3 loops, with a score in the 2 million neighborhood... might give it another shot when I get my groove back…

Made it almost to the end of the Energy Zone on the 4th loop. Things kind of fell apart in the Snow Fields. I lost my final life to a cheap death when a solider jumped below the platform I was on and hit me. The real twist of the knife is that I went through the Energy Zone the first three times without taking a hit. Go figure.

post-27362-0-93286200-1327380213_thumb.png