IGNORED

Yet another Craigslist hilarity $1000, made in original "garage"!

Pioneer4x4

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/2801700677.html

Incase it goes away here is text from it.

This is an Original Atari gaming system. This is a rare one due to the fact that it was made in Sunnyvale, California in the garage of the creator of Atari and not in Taiwan like most of them.

Proof is in the picture I took of the back of the system.

This is for serious collectors only. This is a Vintage collectors item.

I was told by game stores that $1000 is a fair price since only few were made in his garage.

I also have several games that are pretty rare that if interested you can buy seperate. Didn't take pictures of the games but if interested email and I will.

If interested in this Original Atari system email me at bcarlisle13 @ comcast. net

I agree, but there are lights with Sunnyvale stickers so it probably is all his. I can't understand the mentality of someone having something they think is worth $1000 and puts out a craigslist ad, instead of an auction format.

Unless they KNOW it isn't worth that much and hope some schmuck reads it.

I really feal like putting out one of my "Sunnyvale" RARE items out at "Only" $850 or so with some extras. Just to tick of that guy. And anyone that responds to me tell them it is BS and only worth 1/10 that or less.

Someone else responded to it, if it was someone here, thanks!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/2802551587.html

I have posted in response to ads like this many times offering my appraisals if people needed. I have over 20 years experience in game collecting.

This model is what's referred to as a "Heavy" sixer it is by no means extremely rare. They are rarer than the normal ones yes, however, trying to say they were "garage" made making it sound like only a handful produced is EXTREMELY inaccurate.

System alone you probably wouldn't even get $50 let alone $1000. There's one bid on Ebay now, not that Ebay is the best indicator, but with a handful of games, is only at $26 with 22 hours left.

I always wondered what a fair price is for a "rare" Heavy Sixer. I assume $50 is average then? I'm ashamed to admit but I get a bit confused with the different models of Atari 2600. What does the normal Sixer sell for?

I think I lucked out because I believe I acquired a genuine HS with 20 games for $25 at a local pawn shop awhile ago. They wanted $40 but being the infamous miser that I am I was able to get $15 off.

The funny thing is that it came with the strangest cart I've ever seem. The cart has no label and has a lever on the side of it. There's also a space in the center front of the cart to insert something. I'm assuming I have a pirate cart that let's you play backups via rom chips. My memory is pretty vague though as I have the odd cart in storage currently. Is this funky cart worth anything?

Well, sorry to sidetrack this thread. About asking $100 for a NES; believe it or not Nes Consoles with Mario/Duck sell for between $50 and $70 all the time on Ebay; only via the Buy It Now option though.

Edited by guy767

I have given up on craigslist for Atari collecting in my area. It is mostly people selling commons for ridiculous prices, people selling completely trashed items, or people offering to buy rares for a few bucks. If something actually does pop up that is a good value, it is gone within the day.

The correct way to respond to this guy is to offer your own "garage-made" unit to him for $500. He could easily double his money! Just say you're desperate for cash, moving or whatever and you hate to part with it, etc.

I think I'm going to try that when I get home. I'll offer up my Atari Heavy Sixer and my Sears Heavy Sixer for $500 each and see what he says to that. I'll post any replies I get. :)

• Like 1

The correct way to respond to this guy is to offer your own "garage-made" unit to him for $500. He could easily double his money! Just say you're desperate for cash, moving or whatever and you hate to part with it, etc.
I think I'm going to try that when I get home. I'll offer up my Atari Heavy Sixer and my Sears Heavy Sixer for $500 each and see what he says to that. I'll post any replies I get. :)

Please. I would be very interested in this person's response.

Reminds me of the CL ad I saw here for a signed Darth Vader action figure by the actor himself, DAVID PROWLER. I emailed with the correction and a question about the authenticity of the signature but I received no response :grin: Wonder why ...

Here's what I wrote to him:

Hi there!

I was wondering if you could help me out and I’m willing to make a deal with you.

I have 2 Atari Heavy Sixers, made in Sunnyvale. One is the Atari brand Heavy Sixer and the other is the Sears Tele-Games Heavy Sixer. I’m really strapped for cash, so I’m willing to sell both of them to you for $1,000. I’ll throw in controllers for each system as well as a handful of games for each system. You could, in turn, sell each one for $1,000 each. You’ll make a nice profit on each one and I would get some much needed cash.

When I get home, I will snap pics of each system. They are both cleaned and polished, inside and out. Each switch has been meticulously cleaned and tested. Each controller is guaranteed working 100%. The paddles are certified “jitter-free.” I go to great lengths to refurbish any system I get my hands on. I hate to let them go, but in these times, when money is tight, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you. J

Yeah, I laid it on a little thick, but hopefully he'll get back to me right away! :)

• Like 2