Photo

Super Action Baseball and Football

ColecoVision Super Action Super Action Baseball Baseball Super Action Controllers

19 replies to this topic

#1 ColecoFan1981 OFFLINE  

ColecoFan1981

Moonsweeper

• 353 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 PM

I have a request: I wonder if anyone who has either a Super Action Baseball or Super Action Football cartridge (preferably both) could please do a longplay of these games (at least 5-10 minutes, hopefully longer than 20 minutes to get an idea as to how easy or difficult it would be to master it)???

Want to know why I am asking this? I am asking because there is nothing on YouTube that points me to gameplay videos for these two titles, or anywhere else on the internet, and I am hoping this thread may change that. My sister did buy Super Action Baseball, the game that is packaged with the Super Action Controllers, in 1983-84.

Both games are to be used only with the Super Action Controllers (as all of you should know by now), along with Rocky Super Action Boxing and Front Line. The baseball and football titles were previously to be released as launch titles for the ColecoVision's 1982 introduction, to be called Head-to-Head Baseball and Head-to-Head Football, respectively.

Thank you in advance,

Ben Edge

#2 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• 7,824 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 PM

I would like to help but I hate Super Action games to death :|

#3 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,140 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 PM

Super Action Baseball is very easy to master, so much so that I had my Dad playing this game with me back in the day... this was the only videogame he has ever played in his life. It shouldn't take more than a couple games to get used to the controls.

Super Action Football is a lot more involved, especially with the large variety of plays available, and the excessive use of the speed roller. If you are a fan of the sport, than you can't help but enjoy this game when played against another person.

#4 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• 349 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:17 PM

I thought SAB was pretty good back in the day. I had a friend who would always nail me with double plays on pop-fly balls. My SACs need help, refurb or replacement. I've always been interested in SAF but some reviews of it have been beyond harsh. Rocky has never (IMHO) been a good boxing game. Slow and ponderous best describes that game.

#5 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,140 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 PM

My SACs need help, refurb or replacement.

It is very hard to come by a GOOD working set of these controllers so I would highly recommend that you contact Yurkie first... send him a PM. A second option would be www.atari2600.com as they thoroughly test everything they sell and have good prices on these.

#6 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• 4,052 posts
  • US Distributor for NESRGB and 2600RGB

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 PM

I'll refurb SACs for $75 a set and that is if the white piece that transfers joystick movement to contact presses are not broken. You can usually hear a rattle inside the controller if this white piece is broken. No this can't be glued.

#7 Mark_Coleco OFFLINE  

Mark_Coleco

Chopper Commander

• 116 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:06 PM

The white peices need to be plastic soldered, thats the only way.

#8 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• 349 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:49 PM

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but my SAC issue is the buttons aren't responsive anymore. Especially the bottom one. I've heard horror stories about opening them up so I haven't checked them out. Playing Star Wars Arcade & Gyruss on these was THE best. I'm bummed 'cause I finally scored a copy of Star Trek, and I have to use my normal controllers. :(

#9 65Gamerguy OFFLINE  

65Gamerguy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 PM

I have a request: I wonder if anyone who has either a Super Action Baseball or Super Action Football cartridge (preferably both) could please do a longplay of these games (at least 5-10 minutes, hopefully longer than 20 minutes to get an idea as to how easy or difficult it would be to master it)???

Want to know why I am asking this? I am asking because there is nothing on YouTube that points me to gameplay videos for these two titles, or anywhere else on the internet, and I am hoping this thread may change that. My sister did buy Super Action Baseball, the game that is packaged with the Super Action Controllers, in 1983-84.

Both games are to be used only with the Super Action Controllers (as all of you should know by now), along with Rocky Super Action Boxing and Front Line. The baseball and football titles were previously to be released as launch titles for the ColecoVision's 1982 introduction, to be called Head-to-Head Baseball and Head-to-Head Football, respectively.

Thank you in advance,

Ben Edge

I think you contacted me a while back via my youtube channel about making videos of these games. I apoligize that I haven't gotten to it yet, life, work and a short memory don't help. I don't know if I have the overlays for these games, I think I have a few, but I will see what I can do assuming the controllers still work, and they used to so I don't know why they wouldn't know. I will try to work up something for you soon and anyone else that watches my channel. Forgive me for the delay. I promise I will see what I can do.

#10 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• 349 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 AM

IF you do one 65GamerGuy, do Football first. Baseball is a common Super Action Title, and I think more would appreciate football first.

#11 Yurkie OFFLINE  

Yurkie

Q*bert Champion

• 4,052 posts
  • US Distributor for NESRGB and 2600RGB

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 AM

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but my SAC issue is the buttons aren't responsive anymore. Especially the bottom one. I've heard horror stories about opening them up so I haven't checked them out. Playing Star Wars Arcade & Gyruss on these was THE best. I'm bummed 'cause I finally scored a copy of Star Trek, and I have to use my normal controllers. :(

The fire buttons on a controller have to work 100% perfect 100% of the time or they are junk IMO. The SAC finger buttons are the same fire buttons that are used on a standard controller. I desolder them from the board, dissemble, clean, DeoxIT, lube, reassemble, and solder them back to the board. Then you have the fun of the 8 contact points for the joysticks. Not rocket science, but takes some skill and patience.

#12 65Gamerguy OFFLINE  

65Gamerguy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:48 PM

IF you do one 65GamerGuy, do Football first. Baseball is a common Super Action Title, and I think more would appreciate football first.

OK so Football it will be.

#13 65Gamerguy OFFLINE  

65Gamerguy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 PM

I have been playing some games with the Super Action Controllers and the controllers I have don't seem to be 100% operational. They both work but to limited degrees and one is worse than the other.

Baseball is a two player game only so I doubt I can show much of it since one controller is worse off.

I have recorded footage of football but it is pretty boring since I can't always seem to control the player I want. Plus the footage is over 17 minutes and I don't think anyone wants to watch it for that long. I will post an edited version of my gameplay in the future.

I have a rom of Soccer but I have no idea how to play it, the demo mode shows a lot more of the game than I can do.

Rocky in my opinion is the best of the bunch.

To be honest even if these controllers were working 100% I would say that these games are kind of hard. I also have to admit that I am not a teenager like I was when I first played these games, so age probably playes a big factor in my ability to play these games.

Maybe some one else with better skills and fully functional controllers can do better.

#14 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• 349 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:09 PM

Baseball is a two player game only so I doubt I can show much of it since one controller is worse off.

The training option of the game lets you practice hitting & fielding.

#15 ed1475 OFFLINE  

ed1475

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:22 PM

I have a rom of Soccer but I have no idea how to play it, the demo mode shows a lot more of the game than I can do.

The demo for Soccer looks really good.

#16 ed1475 OFFLINE  

ed1475

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 PM

Thank you in advance,

Ben Edge

I'm going to make videos of SA Baseball, Football and Soccer. They will be like my other gameplay videos. Played on the real hardware without commentary.

Baseball and Soccer seem pretty easy to learn with fast gameplay. Soccer has some AWESOME close-up views when two players are near the ball.

Football is a lot slower paced and it's taking me longer to learn how to play it.

I'll be working on these over the next few days and hope to have them uploaded to youtube on Friday.

#17 ColecoFan1981 OFFLINE  

ColecoFan1981

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 353 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:51 PM

Thank you in advance,

Ben Edge

I'm going to make videos of SA Baseball, Football and Soccer. They will be like my other gameplay videos. Played on the real hardware without commentary.

Baseball and Soccer seem pretty easy to learn with fast gameplay. Soccer has some AWESOME close-up views when two players are near the ball.

Football is a lot slower paced and it's taking me longer to learn how to play it.

I'll be working on these over the next few days and hope to have them uploaded to youtube on Friday.

Thank you for elaborating on this topic. For all those of you with defective Super Action Controllers, give them to Yurkie for repair.

~Ben

#18 65Gamerguy OFFLINE  

65Gamerguy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 PM

Thank you in advance,

Ben Edge

Look foward to your videos.

I agree that soccer is pretty cool in the close up mode.

#19 65Gamerguy OFFLINE  

65Gamerguy

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:40 PM

The training option of the game lets you practice hitting & fielding.

True but that doesn't really show the gameplay which I think is what people would like to see.

#20 ed1475 OFFLINE  

ed1475

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 AM

I've only got 1 SA controller so I showed as much as I could with Baseball. In Football, I'm playing offense against the computer defense. Soccer is shown in the demo mode.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ColecoVision, Super Action, Super Action Baseball, Baseball, Super Action Controllers

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users