IGNORED

Wii "....essentially an abandoned platform"?

Metal Ghost

I have a VERY different viewpoint. I love the Wii, I think its the best console since the 16 bit era. The party games and shovelware that everyone derides is exactly the kind of gaming experience I've been looking for in a modern console. My wife and I were playing basketball in Sports Resort and had a blast. I will take that experience over sitting alone in a room with a headset, a bag of cheetos and f-boming some stranger halfway around the world while playing some gory FPS.

In fact the first party Wii games are the ones I'm LEAST interested in. I'd rather pick up Carnival games than Super Mario Galaxy. No contest for me. Its the kind of gamer I am. I enjoy the simple pick up and play games - it reminds me of the reason I still enjoy playing Atari.

I have a feeling I'm a somewhat similar gamer as you. I think Wii Sports Resort is one of the best games I've played in years. I've sunk significant amounts of time into it (although not lately) and enjoyed it very much. While I'm not against some of those FPS types of games, I think that theres also a spot for party titles that for the longest time other companies balked at.

My question to you is, are those shovelware titles like Carnival Games and Game Party actually solid titles? I've been scared off by people who probably don't care much for the Wii when they say the gameplay is poor and the controls are awful. Being the fact its shovelware, I'm not exactly sure what to believe. Seeing that unfortunately a lot of Wii games are keeping there value at nearly $50 a pop (new), my collection isn't very robust at all, perhaps a few of these "budget" titles would be satisfying for both me and my wallet. Do you have any recommendations?

The Wii had a good run. I don't think it's a bad thing to consider it abandoned by Nintendo whether it's true or not. There are still plenty of games to play so it's not like it has to be considered abandoned by gamers. I am starting to associate Zelda releases with the end of a Nintendo console, though. :lol:

As for the Wii U...I don't know. I'm always a sucker for Zelda and Metroid games so I'll wait and see.

• Like 1

I still love my Wii. It's currently not playing a game, just streaming some tunes through WiiMC but I will probably play some Mario Kart later. I still weigh myself on it for Wii Fit (Plus now, as I upgraded--I like the game where you flap your arms like a bird).

It's become my main emulation machine as well. I love playing Genesis games with the classic controller.

From what I've heard (on IGN's Nintendo podcast) the only things left to come out for Wii are Rhythm Heaven and Fortune Street. Xenoblade is finally coming but the folks at IGN think it won't sell well in North America and if it doesn't the other two (Last Story and .. what's the other one?) won't come stateside.

And that's it.

Oh, one correction, Nintendo is going to make Mario Party 9 for Wii as well. That may be the last Mario game on Wii (my guess).

By the way, to AtariLeaf and TwinChargers, have either of you tried Disney's Guilty Party? Me and the wife were just playing that on the weekend. Awesome game and from what both of you have said I think it might be right up your alley.

I have a VERY different viewpoint. I love the Wii, I think its the best console since the 16 bit era. The party games and shovelware that everyone derides is exactly the kind of gaming experience I've been looking for in a modern console. My wife and I were playing basketball in Sports Resort and had a blast. I will take that experience over sitting alone in a room with a headset, a bag of cheetos and f-boming some stranger halfway around the world while playing some gory FPS.

In fact the first party Wii games are the ones I'm LEAST interested in. I'd rather pick up Carnival games than Super Mario Galaxy. No contest for me. Its the kind of gamer I am. I enjoy the simple pick up and play games - it reminds me of the reason I still enjoy playing Atari.

I have a feeling I'm a somewhat similar gamer as you. I think Wii Sports Resort is one of the best games I've played in years. I've sunk significant amounts of time into it (although not lately) and enjoyed it very much. While I'm not against some of those FPS types of games, I think that theres also a spot for party titles that for the longest time other companies balked at.

My question to you is, are those shovelware titles like Carnival Games and Game Party actually solid titles? I've been scared off by people who probably don't care much for the Wii when they say the gameplay is poor and the controls are awful. Being the fact its shovelware, I'm not exactly sure what to believe. Seeing that unfortunately a lot of Wii games are keeping there value at nearly $50 a pop (new), my collection isn't very robust at all, perhaps a few of these "budget" titles would be satisfying for both me and my wallet. Do you have any recommendations?

I actually haven't tried Carnival Games but at $15 - $20 each I'm more inclined to pick them up. I've been concentrating on picking up titles that I really wanted.

Slap Shot Hockey is great but I find it a pain to fit the wires of the remote and nunchuck in without the whole thing coming unravelled. Not to mention EA is no longer supporting roster updates

Worms: Battle Islands - I really recommend this for anyone who likes light and breezy turn based strategy with a decidedly Monty Python/Loony Toons sense of humor

Wii Sports/Sports Resort/Wii Play - I like all 3 although Wii Play is a little light on content

Super Mario Sluggers (can't remember the exact name) - Great baseball game and since its a Players Choice at $20 its a bargain and a lot of fun

We also have some other budget title ones along the lines of racquet games which my wife and daughter love and we also have the Wii Fit and I'd like to get some games that support it like Wii Ski. Also would love to pick up Excite Truck which is a launch release but I can't seem to find it. Looks like a blast and it has good reviews. There are quite a few of the party game/sports game mixes that interest me but I can't recall the titles names off hand.

I think I'll end up with a good 20 - 25 titles which is a decent sized library for me for a modern console with a lot of those holding quite a bit of replayability :)

Oh I forgot about Mario Kart. Gotta get that one too :D

Edited by AtariLeaf

Nintendo certainly hasn't been interested in providing useful firmware updates (homebrew blocking doesn't count) to the Wii, the last one was about THREE years ago. You'd think nintendo would care enough to at least improve the SD loading and carry over features from the 3DS and DSi like system tranfer. At least homebrewers are filling nintendo's shoes, as this new nand2sneek is essentially the same as giving the Wii bigger internal memory, but even the homebrew scene seems to be slowing down on the Wii.

Still really happy with my wii, glad to see the general concept being added onto and improved with Wii U.It is the best console out there. pretty natural for support to wane withthe new system coming out.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/63883/Video-Previews-Wii-U-Concept/

Edited by atarian63

I suspect the Wii has a long life ahead of it and millions more systems left to sell. Clearly, Nintendo will drop it to $100 this year and keep it around for several years as a budget platform, unlike the GCN and N64 that were all but dead well before a successor was released. I'm sure a $100 Wii will be a tempting purchase to many and will push them past the 100 million mark (Surpassed 90 million systems sold a few months ago).

Sadly though, I think things are all but done as far as interesting new releases go. But I'm looking forward to picking up things like Super Mario Galaxy 2 for $20 when it gets an eventual Nintendo Selects rerelease and other releases I missed out on. I own nearly 40 Wii games and have nearly an equal amount listed in my want list. So I won't be hurting for new (To me, at least) Wii releases for many more years.

I just wish they'd bring Fatal Frame IV out over here and release the upcoming Fatal Frame 2 remake (If it's still even in the works, never seems to be any news about it). But at least we got Skyward Sword for a nice swan song (Three generations in a row where a Zelda game has been the final major release for a Nintendo platform)..

Now systems turn into ghost towns 1+ year before the next one is even released for seemingly no reason.

I doubt Nintendo wanted it that way. The N64, GCN, and Wii just didn't have the longevity and popularity necessary for high quality 3rd party releases to pad the release schedule late in life while Nintendo shifts their focus to a successor. They've been struggling to have healthy 3rd party support in recent generations when their systems are at the peak of their popularity.

No wonder it gets to be slim pickings when a successor nears and Nintendo shifts their focus.

Edited by Atariboy

I figured it was dead for the last few years when did Update 4.3 come out to defeat Homebrew ?? and fix was out quickly

and then nothing no more updates and homebrew is chugging along fine.

and their magazine Nintendo Power which I still subscribe is pretty much useless to me. Mostky 3DS coverage not little to no Wii Dont plan on a 3DS at all. Hardly any Wiiware releases anymore and hardly any Virtual Console relases. Maybe they seen the Homebrew emulatrs can not be stopped so why release roms on the Virtual console. I still play my Wii buy games for it (Not DLC but game discs) and was hoping a New Animal Crossing would hit the wii before its demise but not to be :(

I haven't played my wii in years, and hell, I don't even have the damn thing plugged in any more due to the brighter than the god damned sun blue, fucking blue, why the fuck did they go with blue LED thing that seems to take up the whole front of the thing. What fucktards brilliant Idea was that? And apparently, there is NO option to turn the thing off (though you could get it to "fake it" for a short time, only for it to be back on later)

Anyhow, the pack in game was cool, for a few months, and New Super Mario was awesome. Outside of that, nothing. I mean, I bought the thing expecting it to be a strong shooter platform (with a built in light gun) but yeah, that didn't work worth shit.

Anyhow, last time I played was probably sometime in....2009? basically, when I beat NSMBW I quit playing it.

Looked in Nintendo power, I think there is literally like 3 games inthe pipes (though I don't know how many third parties Nintendo would show, if any) Next to nothing for the DS either, you want new games, it looks like the 3DS is where to be.

Looked in Nintendo power, I think there is literally like 3 games inthe pipes (though I don't know how many third parties Nintendo would show, if any) Next to nothing for the DS either, you want new games, it looks like the 3DS is where to be.

If the dozens of past releases didn't get your attention, I don't know why you'd be looking for new games for it either...

I bought the thing expecting it to be a strong shooter platform

From the beginning, I had never thought of the Wii as a shooter platform. You can't go through the 360 or PS3 libraries without tripping over a FPS. That genre is WAY overdone and I'm personally glad the Wii, for the most part, stayed away from those damn things.

• Like 1

I haven't played my wii in years, and hell, I don't even have the damn thing plugged in any more due to the brighter than the god damned sun blue, fucking blue, why the fuck did they go with blue LED thing that seems to take up the whole front of the thing. What fucktards brilliant Idea was that? And apparently, there is NO option to turn the thing off (though you could get it to "fake it" for a short time, only for it to be back on later)

In the system settings you can turn it off. The Wii is one of the only consoles I keep in my bedroom (kind of defeats the motion control idea of it but I like it that way) and my wife would have a fit if that blue disc outline lit up. All you see on mine is the standby led... green, yellow, or red.

• Like 1

I thought the Wii had so much potential and the first 2 years or so of the Wii were some of my favorite years of gaming. Wii Sports, in spite of mostly being a tech demo, was one of the most amazing games of all time considering it got so many non-gamers playing video games. The problem was that Nintendo and 3rd party developers for the most got lazy and tried to coast by on party games and half-assed ports rather than take advantage of the Wii's unique-at-the-time technology and #1 position in console sales at the time. That's not to say there aren't great Wii games but arguably there aren't any AAA 3rd party games (except maybe Monster Hunter) for it and most of Nintendo's games are just slight upgrades of previous gen titles.

I don't know if I agree with the term "abandoned", but as far as software releases, what Nintendo is doing seems logical to me.

I mean, after all, what should Nintendo do: continue to pour resourses... both manpower and financial... into the Wii & DSi with a steady stream of new releases or put those same resources into getting their new handheld profitable and their upcoming console out the door with software to support it?

I tend to think that if Sony and MS announced new consoles tomorrow, titles in the pipeline from 3rd parties would see the light of day but development of any new titles would stop as developers would immediately turn to the new equipment. In effect, the last 6mos or so of the PS3 and Xbox360 would also seem like "abandonment" compared to the previous 12mos.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

The Wii ended up being the little system that could. Not all was fantastic with the system, but the first party console exclusives were great. I have been enjoying Zelda Skyward Sword, and have a backlog of some first party stuff I would like to play. The system will be remembered for its first party stuff, and will be forgotten for the sheer amount of crap that was placed on the system. I did not care that it was a Gamecube 1.5, due to liking that system too. I ended up playing alot of Rogue Squadron in Progessive Scan mode on the Wii. If anything, the system makes me excited for the Wii U and finally some HD Nintendo Games!