vprette

27 members have voted

1. 1. INTV: What new hardware would you like to see

• Arcade controller stick
    • Xpansion to have more memory and audio/color capacity
    • Intellivision I console inside a new shell
    • Intellivision III

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The best solution to the "controller problem", to my mind, would be to find a way to connect a new joystick while leaving the original hand controllers connected and usable. This would let you use the joystick for the directionals and action buttons while falling back on the original keypad for those games which need it. That would give you a lot more options for the joystick, too, since you wouldn't need one with a keypad of its own.

But before anybody spends a lot of money buying or building a new joystick ... there just may be another (much cheaper) solution in the works which does not involve opening or modding the console, even the original hard-wired Intellivision ... :ponder:

I wouldn't want an arcade joystick but an Nes/Genesis style d-pad.

this is difficult to figure out since you need to put the overlays... it would become a giant joypad

Yeah, but 80% of the games only use direction and action buttons and don't need overlays anyway :)

I would be happy with just an Nes pad just for use with certain games like Burgertime. I'm sure the A & B buttons could be programmed for the 2 different side button action keys. Start could be enter. But the keypad would be tricky. Too many games you still need to choose a skill level manually and have have to choose 1 or 2 players. Not sure that would be easy to program into. Maybe a controller with more buttons like Snes/Genesis 6 button/PS2 etc.

Just something with a precise d-pad. Some d-pads work better with certain games. I like the Nes D-pad for games like Burgertime (I have a modded Nes controller that i can use for the 7800/Colecovision etc) where it strictly up down left and right. But the Genesis 6 button D-pad works better for games like Centipede on the 2600, where you are moving all over the place.

Edited by IntellivisionDude