Photo

Saturn Navigator update

20 replies to this topic

#1 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 7,798 posts

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:24 AM

Got 90% of it done. All I need to do is grab the opening title screen and make it display prior to loading the program. I need to fix my //e (so I can use the crack rom and reset interrupt kit) and then we're done and done. Finally, after a year of hem'n'hawin I got around to it.

I did the program portion and all the other stuff on my freshly spiffed up Platinum //e. But my standard //e has a socket that accepts a rom that can save hi-res screens at the press of a key. And I would like to cross-check the ripped code against it anyways.

Here's some pics so far.

DSCN0482_1.jpg

DSCN0483_1.jpg

DSCN0479_1.jpg

DSCN0480_1.jpg

DSCN0481_1.jpg

#2 magnusfalkirk OFFLINE  

magnusfalkirk

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 AM

Cool! Looks good, are you going to do a pdf of the documentation for it also?

Dean

#3 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:49 PM

Yeh, I need to locate the manual. I mis-placed it in the shuffle of organizing and incorporating the crap from the estate sale. But rest assured I have it and didn't throw anything away just yet. It's buried in a pile here, someplace.

Meantime I've been playing with a similar modern-day program version on the PC. But this has nothing to do with subLOGIC. I could imagine the Apple 2 series rendering this image in about a week's worth of time. Just the raw capture screenshot takes 8 megs, that's about a full Sider hard disk!

12.01.23 14-03-08 XR2-01.jpg

#4 magnusfalkirk OFFLINE  

magnusfalkirk

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:11 PM

Cool picture, kind of reminds me of the astronomy/space exploration program Celestia.

Dean

#5 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 PM

I may need the a2-3d1 graphics package to continue this little project, part of the 3d library needed for the second half has something to do with quarter-tracks.

The pic is from Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator, it's a real-time accurate sim.

Edited by Keatah, Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 PM.

#6 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:22 PM

I'm really pissed off now. Beyond belief. Enough to totally trash and destroy my entire apple collection. And I mean fucking everything. Such a sour taste and bad vibes about the whole thing. I got two copies of SN and one of them, the stand-alone version, might have been damaged in the process of making a nibble copy. The other copy, seems fine, but I need to locate the a2-3d1 package - which is not likely. Its really an irreplaceable bit of software gone and gone.

I believe the write-protect switch (which is now optical) in the uni-disk, had been too powerful or something, and light leaked around the edge and allowed the drive to write data when it should have been write-protected. I'm not even gonna bother with any type of forensics or tear-down to see what the problem was. So one copy is now destroyed. My bad for not using an original disk II with physical mechanical switches or. Some cost cutting fucker using a bad design ruined this! As a result I have now, out of anger, destroyed the drive, the controller, the computer, and everything related to this. EVERY FUCKING THING.

It's now likely that everything else is gonna go because I'm too pissed and upset. Not worth the time or trouble to even ebay it. I swear to fucking god this hardware and everything else here that is 'vintage apple II' is gonna pay the price. Disgusting.. Fucking waste of time.

Folks, get ready for the biggest classic computing destruction video of all time. Sorry guys, that's the way it is.

Edited by Keatah, Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 PM.

#7 magnusfalkirk OFFLINE  

magnusfalkirk

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 PM

Before you destroy it all would you at least consider selling/giving away the software at least? There may be other stuff in your collection that is not copied anywhere else.

Just a thought,
Dean

#8 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:10 PM

Ahh shit...

Edited by Keatah, Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 PM.

#9 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 AM

PISS and PISS

#10 magnusfalkirk OFFLINE  

magnusfalkirk

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 AM

Ahh shit...

I take it something else has happened?

PISS and PISS

So what's going on now that you upset?

#11 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:53 PM

Now with this imaged to .nib format and playable in emulators. What's the best way to make a nice and well-presented pdf of the manual? And that means doing a searchable OCR pdf to boot! I have a scanner with the shitty and useless HP software. I'm not about to waste time dicking with it. Nor am I going to waste time learning new software only to find out I can't do anything other than use it to scan a certain style of document(!).. I'm not opposed to purchasing new software if it's up to the task.

I also have these documents I'd like to scan in but basically have 0-skill and 0-knowhow and 0-software when it comes to doing this.

Also where is the best place to post stuff like this, aside from asimov. Asimov is too big and things will undoubtedly get lost in the cracks and disbursed all over the place. Or, rather, what is a decent premier site to post to?

This is 1/1000th of a recent acquisition and personal collection. (cross post to applefritter)

DSCN0526_1.jpg DSCN0529_1.jpg DSCN0527_1.jpg DSCN0528_1.jpg

#12 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

Stargunner

• 1,282 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:55 PM

I'm willing to take the whole bunch to Kinko and have it professionally scanned to PDF at my own expense and return them to you with a CD. This documentation is far too valuable to let it fade away. Feel free to PM me if interested.
BTW, did you end up posting the emulator image somewhere? I'm very sorry to hear you damaged one of your copies, and I hope you take a very deep breath before you do something rash...

#13 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:59 PM

I finished the scanning and disk imaging (of a second copy) a few weeks ago.

Edited by Keatah, Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:00 PM.

#14 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

Stargunner

• 1,282 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:05 PM

I finished the scanning and disk imaging (of a second copy) a few weeks ago.

That's really great! Where did you post them?

#15 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:16 PM

I didn't put it on any major site. I didn't do a full-on crack or anything. So although it works fine in Applewin and a few other emulators(.nib image) I don't know how well it would transfer back to a physical 2 series machine. I am working on other things, but as long as there's a backup on modern file systems that's good enough for me.

Edited by Keatah, Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:16 PM.

#16 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

Stargunner

• 1,282 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012 9:43 PM

I didn't put it on any major site. I didn't do a full-on crack or anything. So although it works fine in Applewin and a few other emulators(.nib image) I don't know how well it would transfer back to a physical 2 series machine. I am working on other things, but as long as there's a backup on modern file systems that's good enough for me.

Would you be willing to post the files here for our benefit?

#17 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,798 posts

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012 10:31 PM

The .pdf is too big, about 2.3MB, so it won't fit within AA's upload limit.

#18 SEgamer OFFLINE  

SEgamer

Dragonstomper

• 535 posts

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2012 12:03 PM

Edit: Nevermind, bitsavers probably wouldn't work for uploading/sharing pdfs.

Edited by SEgamer, Wed Mar 7, 2012 12:14 PM.

#19 CaptainGoodnight OFFLINE  

CaptainGoodnight

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 AM

Hi !

Where can we get the nib image ? I've been looking for SN for years ! :)

-- C.G.

#20 magnusfalkirk OFFLINE  

magnusfalkirk

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 PM

Hi !

Where can we get the nib image ? I've been looking for SN for years ! :)

-- C.G.

I've got a copy that he sent me. If you'd like to PM me I can e-mail it to you.

Dean

#21 CaptainGoodnight OFFLINE  

CaptainGoodnight

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:19 AM

Thanks ! Keatah has PMed me and I've got the SN copy now ! :)

-- C.G.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users