IGNORED

512K Cartridge Status

Ksarul

• 2 months later...

If the Ubergrom cart is placed in a widget with a cart that contains only 8k of Ram at c>6000 (such as the Myarc XB 2 cart), is the Rom switchable from the Ubergrom cart to the 8k Ram cart?

I know the Grom of the Ubergrom cart will stay active, and it doesn't have another Grom cart to fight against, so it should be safe.

This should make it possible to use the TI Writer/Editor Assembler in the Ubergrom cart as a Supercart.

Anybody try it yet?

Gazoo

This should make it possible to use the TI Writer/Editor Assembler in the Ubergrom cart as a Supercart.

Anybody try it yet?

SCREEEEECH! Coming to a halt... you got my attention!

I've not tried it, but it does sound intriguing! Are you suggesting removing the GROM from the E/A module and just running with the 8K RAM chip. Since both are supposedly active, you suggest the two together will act as an "UBER-SUPER CART"?

So one should be able to load the RAM using the Uber Carts E/A 3 (4) option, like in XB2.7s. Interesting, if this works do you have any plans of making a shortcut to the 8K program?

SCREEEEECH! Coming to a halt... you got my attention!

I've not tried it, but it does sound intriguing! Are you suggesting removing the GROM from the E/A module and just running with the 8K RAM chip. Since both are supposedly active, you suggest the two together will act as an "UBER-SUPER CART"?

So one should be able to load the RAM using the Uber Carts E/A 3 (4) option, like in XB2.7s. Interesting, if this works do you have any plans of making a shortcut to the 8K program?

Yes, if you've got a supercart, pull the grom chip and put it in the widget with the XB v2.7 cart. Let me know if it works, I haven't been able to find any of my Wigdets today to try it.

Just put your Supercart program (I assume you're thinking of using TIDOS :idea:) on your BOOT menu, and make sure you flip the switch before you select the program from the Boot menu. If the program is in object format (EA3), you need to make it into an image program (EA5) to run from Boot.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

As far as I know, the only way to access 4A/DOS is from the TI's Menu Selection Screen.

4A/DOS is an E/A 3 program that is loaded in to the >6000 space and called from the menu screen.

I figured any shortcut would have to access that location to execute the program.

This example in Classic99 shows how it's loaded into the cart and the menu it's accessed from.

gallery_35324_1072_188479.gif

It soure would be cool to have them both accessible for sure! :)

As far as I know, the only way to access 4A/DOS is from the TI's Menu Selection Screen.

4A/DOS is an E/A 3 program that is loaded in to the >6000 space and called from the menu screen.

I figured any shortcut would have to access that location to execute the program.

This example in Classic99 shows how it's loaded into the cart and the menu it's accessed from.

It soure would be cool to have them both accessible for sure! :)

As I mentioned, you would need to convert the EA3 file to an EA5 to run it from BOOT. If you can't do it, post the disk image and someone will do it for you.

Gazoo

Okay an update before I leave....

It works from BOOT with the AS-IS Super Cart (BOOT loads up 4A DOS)! :-o

4A DOS CANNOT load BOOT (never has)... BUT tomorrow after I try this with the GROM removed from the Super Cart if just MIGHT, because BOOT will already be in the XB2.7s cartridge! We'll see! Anyway it looks promising! THANKS GAZOO! Gotta go...

You do realize that you have to flip the switch back to XB v2.7 to use most of the other stuff on the cart, don't you?

Gazoo

How could I not! It's painfully obvious. :grin:

I guess I was not clear in the video that it only applies to the Editor/Assembler portion of the cartridge.

I have to admit I was puzzled at first when I found that XB would not work while the E/A would. It was one of those doh.gifmoments.

I've wanted Super Cart capability in the 512K cartridge for a while now. While this solution is not perfect, this might be the only viable solution that comes to fruition.

When I get back today I'm going to try some more testing on other stuff...

I've wanted Super Cart capability in the 512K cartridge for a while now. While this solution is not perfect, this might be the only viable solution that comes to fruition.

When I get back today I'm going to try some more testing on other stuff...

Since you've proven it works, the next step is to get an 8k Ram chip and a mini spdt toggle switch. Hack the chip into the cart, mount the switch on the cart, and use the toggle switch instead of the widget to select that one line. I think it's the Rom CS (chip select). Someone else should verify that, don't just take my word for it, it's been a while since I've had a widget apart.

Gazoo

Since you've proven it works, the next step is to get an 8k Ram chip and a mini spdt toggle switch. Hack the chip into the cart, mount the switch on the cart, and use the toggle switch instead of the widget to select that one line. I think it's the Rom CS (chip select).

I'd love to see HIGHLY DETAILED (can't screw it up) instructions of such a modification.

I have a question though, why not keep it active at all times like the original Super Cart?

I'd love to see HIGHLY DETAILED (can't screw it up) instructions of such a modification.

I have a question though, why not keep it active at all times like the original Super Cart?

Two items cannot occupy the same space at the same time, it would mean the end of the known universe. :) Or in your case, the cart would go poof!, have some black scorch marks on it, and never work again.

Gazoo

Gazoo, just an update on your 4A/DOS modification. I found something interesting...

I forgot to slide the Widget switch back to the XB2.7s cartridge when I accessed the basic program from BOOT that calls DM2K from the cart. Instead of DM2K, it instantly loaded 4A/DOS instead, without going through the CHARA1 routine. Not bad, not bad at all.

• 4 years later...

Back in 2014 there were problems with XB27 cart suite, where typing CALL MENU would lock up Extended BASIC.  My current XB27 Suite exhibits this behavior.  I also noticed that the lockup occurs if I try to call a non-existent CALL, such as "CALL HOME".   Could someone confirm whether or not these two issues were resolved? I walked through the thread but didn't find a definitive answer.  

(I ran into this while testing the Horizon ROS's user calls. My system was locking up and I thought the problem was ROS, until I successfully used the ramdisk CALLs with a standard XB cart).

6 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Back in 2014 there were problems with XB27 cart suite, where typing CALL MENU would lock up Extended BASIC.  My current XB27 Suite exhibits this behavior.  I also noticed that the lockup occurs if I try to call a non-existent CALL, such as "CALL HOME".   Could someone confirm whether or not these two issues were resolved? I walked through the thread but didn't find a definitive answer.  

I just tried it on my cartridge.  CALL HOME just comes back with subprogram not found and CALL MENU returns back to the original screen.  So I would say, yes.

• Thanks 1