IGNORED

HSC9 Round 1: DropZone

I finished the game. Pausing was a bad idea for my score but the kids needed a bath :) I couldn't get back into the zone and got wiped out pretty quickly.

This is first time I have played Dropzone "in anger" for well over 20 years. Back when I wasn't an old fart I could get 3-4 million pretty easily and I'd basically run out of time and inclination and switch off. So, for my first game in a while this is a pretty respectable score. I was surprised how quickly it came back (this is the score from my first game). It could have been a couple of million but I made a couple of stupid mistakes which made the planet go volcanic two times in quick succession. When you are over level 50 this is pretty hard to survive (and the game stops giving you smart bombs at a million I think).

It's a bloody brilliant game - one of the most masterfully executed games on the 8 Bits in my opinion.

Some tactics (and I know the names of the enemies are wrong but I think of them in Defender terms).

Every 4 levels there is a trailer invasion and after that the little men you are saving are clustered next to the Dropzone. In the levels after the Trailer invasion collect them all. After that, shoot all but one of the little men and carry the last one around with you. This prevents the landers from mutating. If you leave little men in the Dropzone and the Dropzone is not full up the Landers can still land and mutate. If you use this tactic you have to be very careful to pick up the little man at the beginning of levels and when you die. You also have to be very careful not to shoot him by accident. If he dies, the planet goes volcanic and if you do this you have to survive through the next trailer invasion before the planet reverts to normal (doing this twice in a row ended my game).

Fly SLOWLY and move to the top of the screen and glide down as you scroll along wiping out all the enemies in clusters. Don't wiggle up and down.

If you shoot a Pod, move away and to the top of the screen then reverse. The trailers will go up and you can pick them off easily at the top of the screen.

In the trailer invasion, turn on your cloak then fly as fast as you can through the level shooting all the pods. Then hit the top of the screen to finish off the Trailers.

If you are moving fast and enemies shoot diagonally away from you then slow down - the shots are aiming at where you are going to be if you continue at that speed.

dropzone1.jpg

dropzone1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to BountyBob for telling me about this based on a boast I made in another topic :)

Thanks for playing, great tips too :thumbsup:

ok all HSC players start chanting "He's still got it... He's still got it" :-D

I'm going to let fandal know his record has been crushed ;)

MLN! I'm demotivated... ;)

I'm motivated ;) (let the battle for 2nd commence!!!!)

:skull: Awsome !! :skull:

Welcome to the HSC ;-) It's a very tough game so don't be put off! (especially If you are playing on an emulator with keyboard only)...

...which reminds me: if anyone else plays on an emulator with a joystick please could they post their setup on the beginners' guide (link below) thanks :)

I retired this game. Not sure if I am motivated to post my best effort; although scoring seems a lot quicker than I had expected so I'll see what happens.

Great score :thumbsup: Don't forget there's a bonus point for anyone (else) beating Fandal's HSC record of 599,070

I'm still working on it; 368,990 before the I ran out of cloak, bombs and then the planet erupted quickly killing off all lives but 1 and then I had the trailer invasion :skull:

post-19705-0-07918200-1327857178.jpg

with the extra time for this 1st HSC round you can take some time off! - the vote for round 2 will start at the end of the week ;-)

looks like I'd better do the first table...