IGNORED

Neo Geo Pocket Returns: New SNK Branded Neo Geo Portable

ne01.jpg

Full English Report HERE.

Original Japanese Report HERE.

According to both sources, the machine comes with 20 built in games (all NA versions), and features SD card support, 2GB memory, and other bells and whistles.

Is this the return of the Neo Geo Pocket? Just look at this thing. Its NGPC: The Next Generation!

Edited by Dr Manhattan

It probably retails for 649.99. :P . seriously though, this looks a bit like those weird coleco brand sega handhelds that came out a few years ago, with a bunch of games built in. If that's the case I'll snag one for cheap. If they're actually trying to play with the big boys (Nintendo, Sony, Apple, ETC) then I will be skeptical of their success.

This thing looks excellent (that thumb stick looks incredible!) but based on how slim it is, it's undoubtably running some form of Neo-Geo emulator. The quality of the emulation is I guess what will determine the purchase for me. I'm also wondering if it'll allow users to put on their own games in addition to the 20 built in. Nothing against Metal Slug 1 and King of Fighters '94, but if I buy one of these I want to at the very least be running Metal Slug 3, King of Fighters 2000 and SNK vs Capcom. What the heck does the device need with four shoulder buttons if it's only doing Neo-Geo?

I'm really looking forward to more details on things like battery life and overall cost.

Probably not, but I'm hoping that this device will support emulation for mame and perhaps consoles too. That analog dpad looks outstanding!

It still looks like a crap mp4 player, but:

The Japanese report lists battery capacity at 2200mah, which is probably huge.

Screen size is listed at 4.3" (but obviously not 4:3 aspect ratio)

Google translate also seems to indicate that the article isn't terribly sure how well that the games will be reproduced.

link for the lazy

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famicom-plaza.com%2Fblog%2F2012%2F01%2F0125-neogeopoket2.html

Can't imagine that those shoulder buttons are easy to use. R1 and R2 and L1 and L2 are close to each other on the same level. Don't think you can press R2 without pressing R1. To me it also looks like a photoshopped Iphone.

I can think of one way it could work, maybe its intended that the tips of your fingers are used to press the inner shoulder buttons and you use the inside of your fingers to press the ones on the sides. It could work potentially that way depending on the actual size of it.

Can't imagine that those shoulder buttons are easy to use. R1 and R2 and L1 and L2 are close to each other on the same level. Don't think you can press R2 without pressing R1. To me it also looks like a photoshopped Iphone.

Why would a neo geo need shoulder buttons anyways?

• Like 1

Why would a neo geo need shoulder buttons anyways?

to poorly emulate psx games like every other trash mp4 player.

I notice the shoulder buttons are labeled funny. They read left to right, rather than inside and outside.

Edited by Reaperman

^ Runs much better on a PSP or Wii than on the Xbox.

That stick looks nice, but I really doubt that it will be all that great. Anybody see those fighting pads for 360 and PS3 recently with a similar NGPC-style stick? They're horribly cheap feeling, and probably don't last longer than a week of heavy use.