Pascal on the 99/4A

Pascal p-system

329 replies to this topic

#326 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,903 posts

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:29 PM

There are references to 99/4 TIBUG in there, so these files would likely be for the /4A system.

#327 Rossman OFFLINE  

Rossman

Star Raider

• 74 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:24 AM

These are interesting.  I loaded these as user carts in Classic99 and got the following menu options:

1 FOR TI BASIC

2 FOR PASCAL TIBUG

3 FOR PASCAL DOWNLOADER

4 FOR PASCAL BOOT LOADER

(Sorry for not posting an image, Atariage and my browser are not cooperating just now.)

No idea what these are, or what the system requirements are to run them, or what the right configuration is for them. But they are certainly something fun to investigate as they appear to be UCSD Pascal goodies on a cartridge.

I know that over the years, there have been posts in Atariage about p-code implemented as a cart.  Perhaps this is it?  Or what somebody suspected it might be?

Best regards,

R.

#328 HOME AUTOMATION OFFLINE  

HOME AUTOMATION

Chopper Commander

• 170 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:08 AM

I had tried these on FG99 and got the same menu as you described, just blue screen on each selection though... I am not at all familiar with the P-SYSTEM. Anything with TIBUG looks interesting.

Good luck.

#329 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,903 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:01 AM

These are definitely interesting. They aren't the UCSD P-System on a cartridge though. That was produced by a programmer in Vienna, Austria in 1991 or so. It was never released to anyone but the two or three people who beta tested it for him. I let one of those beta testers (Alexander Hulpke) test it on my Geneve at the TI Treff in Berlin, but I was not permitted to keep a copy of it. It worked perfectly.

These files look more to be some of the rumored prototype cartridges from TI that ran p-System programs. They are a bit different than the special cartridges that went with the p-System versions of a word processor and a spreadsheet program. The cartridge for those two programs acted more as a license key dongle. I have one of those.

#330 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 516 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:29 PM

No, there's no compiler for the UCSD p-system that produces assembly code. The SYSTEM.COMPILER in the system produces p-code. That's the whole point with the p-system, as it makes it easier to port to different computers and it makes the code more compact. The tradeoff is execution speed.

There was a native code generator for the p-system, but I've never seen any for the TI. The native code converter takes simple p-codes and convert them to assembly code, inline with the p-codes. Complex p-codes, like segment calls, aren't translated. There's no benefit, as they have much more instructions than overhead executed.

For simple p-codes, like ADD (which adds the two values at top of stack and return them to the stack), there are a single TMS 9900 instruction which does the same thing (A *SP+,*SP). In such cases you get rid of the 7-8 instructions used by the PME to fetch, decode and execute the p-code.

Pascal programs, compiled to p-code, will run with the p-code card and 32 K RAM only. No p-system disks needed.

But if your program requires assembly support, the code file must be linked with the assembled code. If it uses library routines,they must be available in the *SYSTEM.LIBRARY file, or in one or more user defined libraries.

I've never seen the development files linked to here before. Can't comment on them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users