IGNORED

What is "THE" 2600 Holy Grail Game?

Atari Smeghead

Hi everyone,

I'm not a 2600 owner (I'm an Atari 8-bit /Jaguar/Lynx man, primarily) so forgive me for not knowing this, as I don't normally read this forum.

I've been thinking about the "Holy Grail" game(s) of various systems, that one game that is the hardest to find, and costs the most to obtain.

I went through AA's Rarity Guide, and found all the "10" games... and there are many.

Air Raid

Alien

Asterix

Atlantis II

Beany Bopper

BMX Airmaster

Crypts of Chaos

Demon Attack

Eli's Ladder

Gamma-Attack

Gauntlet

Karate

Mangia

No Escape!

Pepsi Invaders

Solar Storm

Video Life

In your experience, is one of these games (or another not on this list) considered "THE" Holy Grail of the 2600? Or are there so many that fall into this category so that it can't be narrowed down to 1-3 titles?

If you wouldn't mind weighing in on this topic, I would love a bit of back story on why the game is so rare (and/or a link so I can research it myself) and the average/highest cost this cartridge has sold for.

I would prefer this title to be released during the initial "life" of the system, not (necessarily) a homebrew or a prototype.

If this topic has been talked to death, please forgive me and point me to the thread. I tried to find one, but I didn't see anything in a cursory search.

Thanks a lot,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead
  • Like 1

Air Raid, which I do not see on your list but should be for sure. As long as I've been around here that has been the one game everyone seems to agree is the "holy grail" for the VCS.

You're right - somehow I missed Air Raid (and Alien) in the "10" category. I'll see if I can still add them to the list up-top.

Thanks,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

i'm gonna guess Video Life.

Oh yes, Video Life. I missed that one too, but it's on the list now. The guide says, "We believe fewer than 500 copies of Video Life were produced and there are probably many fewer still floating about today." That would make it a good choice!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Smeg

It's gotta be Air Raid. The single highest amount paid for a single game was for a complete Air Raid.

I think Air Raid is in fact the highest paid price for a complete, commercially released game on any system.

Okay, now that's an interesting stat. Do either of you happen to know how much it sold for? (Or maybe I can do a search for that title in the forums/elsewhere, if you don't know for sure.)

Thanks a lot,

Smeg

Okay, I just did a Google search for it... $31,600??? Wow. Um... wow.

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Air Raid seems to be the one you are looking for.

The only known original with the box sold for more than $30,000 USD. Loose Air Raids can be had for $3000 to $4000 USD.

I wouldn't call this the "Holy Grail" but Coca Cola's Pepsi invaders is real popular and relatively rare. Word is only 125 were produced.

post-31626-0-45130600-1327774322_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdrose