IGNORED

What is "THE" 2600 Holy Grail Game?

Atari Smeghead

I wish I had Air Raid in my collection. That little blue cartridge looks so cool.

Played Chase the Chuckwagon this morning and made it to the 4th level. But the cart accidentally fell on the floor when I put it back on the game stack :(. Still works though of course.

I don't know, for a game that has not been proven to exist, like Red Sea Crossing and Monogrammed Space Chase, I would leave those in the 'Unconfirmed' catagory.

And with all due respect, Extra Terrestials may only have 2 copies but it doesn't look like the game was ever sold into the hands of consumers, despite their best efforts, so I would call that a 'Unreleased' game. Still very rare and expensive, but not a 'Holy Grail'.

To me, a 'Holy Grail' is a game that was confirmed to have been released and sold during the life of the system, and actually got into consumers hands, despite how rare that it may be. Something like Bandai's Stadium Events for the NES, or Spider Man for the Serga 32X.

So I'd put Air Raid right up there as the Holy Grain for the 2600.

How many confirmed copies of that game has been found, anyway?

And yes, Wonder is the one who won that ony known boxed copy of Air Raid. I wish I had that kind of cash. ;)

I don't know, for a game that has not been proven to exist, like Red Sea Crossing and Monogrammed Space Chase, I would leave those in the 'Unconfirmed' catagory.

http://www.atariage....ea-crossing-ad/

:)

Yes, I'm aware of the add. There's still no proof, though, that the game was actually SOLD. That is, they may have run that add intending for it come out but something happened and it never did. Sometimes that happened with other games, also. Until a copy actually turns up in a collector's hands, I'll still call it a 'unconfirmed' game. :)

That said, I do firmly believe a copy is out there somewhere....

• Like 1

Yes, I'm aware of the add. There's still no proof, though, that the game was actually SOLD. That is, they may have run that add intending for it come out but something happened and it never did. Sometimes that happened with other games, also. Until a copy actually turns up in a collector's hands, I'll still call it a 'unconfirmed' game. :)

Why doesn't the one that was found count? It was found in the wild, not by the programmer.

Why doesn't the one that was found count? It was found in the wild, not by the programmer.

Huh? That thread you linked to, as I recall it from when it happened, was for the proof of the ad being found, not a copy of the game.....

Huh? That thread you linked to, as I recall it from when it happened, was for the proof of the ad being found, not a copy of the game.....

Ah, you must have missed the original thread then:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/113497-help-information-on-red-sea-crossing/

Ah, you must have missed the original thread then:

http://www.atariage....d-sea-crossing/

Oh yes! That thread. ;)

I ignored that cause there's sitll no proof the game actually exists. I don't believe that guy. I think he's just pulling a fast one on us. :) Show me a copy that someone like Wonder has, or dump the ROM on the web, and THEN I'll believe it. ;)

Oh yes! That thread. ;)

I ignored that cause there's sitll no proof the game actually exists. I don't believe that guy. I think he's just pulling a fast one on us. :) Show me a copy that someone like Wonder has, or dump the ROM on the web, and THEN I'll believe it. ;)

Fair enough, though I don't quite understand. He posted pictures of the cart, screenshots, and even a video of the gameplay. It'd be a lot of work to fake something like that!

Well, we have different definitions of what "holy grail" is.

For me, the holy grail was always Boulder Dash®. Because it was considered next-to-impossible to implement for the '2600.

Now it's done, I suppose it's not the holy grail anymore. The holy grail is always something you don't have, right?

• Like 1

The fact he seems so reluctant to say very much about it makes me doubt it, although I do grant it could be a copy. One copy, though, could be anything from a protoype to a special gift from the programer. I'd say also for a 'Holy Grail' status it needs to have at least....oh, 5 copies.

It's a copy for sure.

My Holy Grail would be this one:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-go-go-home-monster_15661.html

8)

Oh yes! That thread. ;)

Fair enough, though I don't quite understand. He posted pictures of the cart, screenshots, and even a video of the gameplay. It'd be a lot of work to fake something like that!

Yeah if that is the case, who knows if Wonder even owns anything as he never shows any of his carts.

Edited by high voltage

Yeah if that is the case, who knows if Wonder even owns anything as he never shows any of his carts.

I snapped this quick pic a while back when I was flying over his 'complex'...... ;)

Richlands_Richlands_-_nw_image.jpg

Great "big picture" but I like the pic you snapped when inside the complex. :grin:

Great "big picture" but I like the pic you snapped when inside the complex. :grin:

I think CPUWIZ got the best angle on it, though!

raiders_smithsonian_warehouse.jpg

That's the picture! My apologies to CPU for the wrong photgrapher's credit.

• Like 1