IGNORED

PAL60 ROMS

davyK

I have compared the NTSC and PAL versions of Super Breakout and I think the PAL version might actually be slightly superior. The display area is larger in the PAL version (it's usually the opposite!) and the ball speed seems to be the same (close enough for me to not notice at any rate). So I didn't bother looking at doing a PAL60 version.

Edited by davyK

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this thread here, it`s superb for PAL-consoles.

Three new suggestions i have for PAL60 versions. Different good "Space Invaders" hacks are out there. Three really good ones are these here:

Space Invaders Arcade

http://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=6

Vector SI

http://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=200

Space Invaders Deluxe

http://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=262

These three hacks looks great, but sadly are only available in NTSC until now. The games "Space Invaders Arcade" and "Vector SI" seems to have only four colors at all and only two of them needs to be adjusted. White is already correct on PAL-consoles and also the grey shots are correct, so only the green color which is shown as blue on PAL, needs to be adjusted and the red color of the enemy-ship above, which is flying through from time to time. On PAL this ship had a green looking color at the moment. Would be great, if anybody could have a look at this two hacks.

"Space Invaders Deluxe" is also a superb hack, but for this rom, more colors needs to be adjusted. This one looks really great on NTSC-consoles. While the other two hacks, looks not bad on a PAL-console even now (the green is shown as blue there), this one here has strange colors on PAL-Ataris. Maybe someone from the color-experts here, could have a look too, this would be great.

Edited by AW127

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought I'll add one to the list that I like: here's 'Communist Mutants From Space' as a PAL60.

I've lifted all palette info from the PAL version and injected it into the NTSC bin.

I believe in principle the checksum for the supercharger pages would need to be adjusted but

since all 'original' bins I've checked also have wrong checksums I decided against it for now.

Communist Mutants from Space (PAL60).bin

• Like 3

I believe in principle the checksum for the supercharger pages would need to be adjusted but

since all 'original' bins I've checked also have wrong checksums I decided against it for now.

Yes, checksums are ignored by all emulators/flashcarts that I'm aware of (Stella will print a warning if run from the command line, but that's it), and they are automatically generated by utilities like makewav and playbin when converting the binaries back to audio format.

Anyway, I posted a couple of utilities a few years ago to compare supercharger games (ignoring checksums and "filler areas" in the binary) and to "clear" them (that is, setting all filler bytes to "0" and correct all checksums).

You'll find them here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/103737-2600-rom-comparisions-and-dumps/page-35?do=findComment&comment=1955712

This is the output of the "sc_info" utility for the rom you posted (wrong checksums are indicated by an exlamation mark followed by the correct value between brackets):

FILE: Communist Mutants from Space (PAL60).bin

GAME HEADER (2000-2007):

fa      START ADDRESS LOW BYTE          ---> f1fa
f1      START ADDRESS HIGH BYTE
0b      RAM CONFIG BYTE
         - Write pulse delay = 0
         - Bank scheme: VCS(x000-x7ff) -> RAM3(000-7ff)
                        VCS(x800-xfff) -> RAM1(000-7ff)
         - Write enabled
         - ROM power off
18      NUMBER OF PAGES TO LOAD (24 pages, 6144 bytes)
21      GAME HEADER CHECKSUM
00      MULTILOAD INDEX NUMBER
24      PROGRESS COUNTER LOW BYTE       ---> 0224
02      PROGRESS COUNTER HIGH BYTE

PAGE NUMBER TABLE (2010-2027) - PAGE CHECKSUM TABLE (2040-2057):

PAGE    CHECKSUM        MEMORY MAP
                        rom image -> supercharger
00      67!(c7)         0000-00ff -> RAM1(000-0ff)
04      e7!(97)         0100-01ff -> RAM1(100-1ff)
08      98              0200-02ff -> RAM1(200-2ff)
0c      1e!(ee)         0300-03ff -> RAM1(300-3ff)
10      88              0400-04ff -> RAM1(400-4ff)
14      04!(d4)         0500-05ff -> RAM1(500-5ff)
18      16              0600-06ff -> RAM1(600-6ff)
1c      fe              0700-07ff -> RAM1(700-7ff)
01      b3              0800-08ff -> RAM2(000-0ff)
05      39              0900-09ff -> RAM2(100-1ff)
09      08              0a00-0aff -> RAM2(200-2ff)
0d      e1              0b00-0bff -> RAM2(300-3ff)
11      e7              0c00-0cff -> RAM2(400-4ff)
15      22              0d00-0dff -> RAM2(500-5ff)
19      ce              0e00-0eff -> RAM2(600-6ff)
1d      8c              0f00-0fff -> RAM2(700-7ff)
02      a7              1000-10ff -> RAM3(000-0ff)
06      74              1100-11ff -> RAM3(100-1ff)
0a      7d!(5d)         1200-12ff -> RAM3(200-2ff)
0e      f4!(04)         1300-13ff -> RAM3(300-3ff)
12      a3!(33)         1400-14ff -> RAM3(400-4ff)
16      62              1500-15ff -> RAM3(500-5ff)
1a      42              1600-16ff -> RAM3(600-6ff)
1e      e0              1700-17ff -> RAM3(700-7ff)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is the rom "fixed" with the "sc_rom" utility:

Communist Mutants from Space (PAL60) (fixed checksums).bin

Again, for everyone who already downloaded the game, there's no need to replace it with this version, the checksums are just ignored by Harmony Cart.

I thought I'll add one to the list that I like: here's 'Communist Mutants From Space' as a PAL60.

I've lifted all palette info from the PAL version and injected it into the NTSC bin.

Thanks for the file. Great to see that this thread is not dead.

I have two suggestions where only two colors must be adjusted. Rest of the colors is still correct:

Space Invaders Arcade

http://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=6

Vector SI

http://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=200

Both great hacks of the normal "Space Invaders" game but only available in NTSC at the moment. Both games seems to have only four colors at all and only two of them needs to be adjusted. The White-color is already correct on PAL-consoles and also the Grey-color (color of the shots) is already correct.

Only the Green-color (which is shown as blue on PAL at the moment) and the Red-color (color of the enemy-ship above which comes from time to time. at the moment its green on PAL) needs to be adjusted.

in the whole:

- blue must be adjusted to green

- green must be adjusted to red

Would be great when somebody of the PAL60-pro`s could have a look. Thanks in advance from all the PAL countries. :)

Edited by AW127

Buying NTSC console does not work that well. Hardly any PAL TV supports NTSC RF. And modifying the console for composite is nasty and may well result in incorrect video output.

I bought a US 2600 too. No tuner would pick up the signal. Any tuner I tried would not go to a low enough channel number. I got mine modded for composite (bought a kit and got a professional repair service to fit it for me). The image is very clear - but it is black and white. I'm using a US copy of Stargate to test it.

I tried adjusting the pots as per instructions with the kit - no luck.

My CRT will only display a colour NTSC image if the console has an RGB SCART cable. I get colour from my JP Saturn for example. But I can't get a colour picture with my JPN Gamecube and N64 (they only have composite and s-video).

I tried putting the 2600 through an NTSC/PAL VCR. No luck.

I bought an NTSC/PAL converter for composite but it didn't pick the 2600 signal up. I tried it with my NTSC Gamecube and N64 - worked with the Gamecube but not the N64 - maybe the N64 and 2600 signals aren't strong enough? Not sure.

I tried lots of combinations using SCART adaptors and even tried using it though my powered SCART switch but no luck.

I tried it with a couple of modern TVs and I still get a b&w image - so I'm not sure if the mod has been done correctly but there is no way of proving that.

:mad:

If I got a CRT that can handle NTSC via composite it might be OK but until I find one I'm stuck with b&w. So I use my PAL woody with Harmony cart and PAL60 ROMs instead.

The US 2600 is in a box along with a US copy of Stargate. :(

Edited by davyK

A bit more difficult to source I think.

If I come across one I may swap my CRT out but so far they have been hard to find for sale locally. It's even harder to find a 4:3 shaped one as wide screen is just a waste of screen space as I hate stretching the picture on old consoles.

They are heavy and I imagine prone to damage so buying from someone far away isn't really practical.

I live in Northern Ireland so my local market is small.

Edited by davyK

Yes, I did import a Wells Gardner D9500 arcade monitor in 2007 and the cost of shipping was clearly more than the cost of unit itself. But it was worth it because it is a 15-31 kHz arcade CRT with VGA input. No SCART TV can match its capabilities unless you swap the boards inside. And I knew they were to cease the production and I simply paid the costs.

Here's Carnival and Dark Mage as PAL60 - both were easy to convert (and I prefer playing in PAL60..).

Good work. For "Dark Mage" it seems, that no normal PAL version existed before. So this is double-good. :)

I tested your two versions and two colors i recognized, which looks little bit different to the NTSC originals.

The player-sprite in "Carnival" in your PAL60 version has the same blue-color that the bottom line has. This is the same blue color which the bottom line also has in the NTSC version, but there the player-sprite has a different color, something between green and blue.

Second thing - the yellow color in the two NTSC-versions of the games (for example the font in "Dark Mage" and the ducks in "Carnival", looks orange in your PAL60 conversion. Maybe this color should be brighted up that it looks like a real yellow again, then the colors of your two new PAL60 versions would be perfect and look like the NTSC originals.

Edited by AW127

Buying NTSC console does not work that well. Hardly any PAL TV supports NTSC RF. And modifying the console for composite is nasty and may well result in incorrect video output.

If you have the skills to intall it (or know someone who can do that for you), the 2600RGB mod would solve the problem as it basically makes the 2600 multistandard. The NTSC or PAL palette is selected based on the game framerate. In case autodetection fails, there's the possibility to install a switch to manually change the palette. Other features include remote console switches on the joystick and pause function.

Just noticed that the PAL60 version of Video Olympics has the tops of the numbers in the score area chopped off - as it is starting to draw too early. Maybe the timing need tweaked? Maybe the PAL version is already optimised?

I'll check the 2 different versions.

Edited by davyK

Just noticed that the PAL60 version of Video Olympics has the tops of the numbers in the score area chopped off - as it is starting to draw too early. Maybe the timing need tweaked? Maybe the PAL version is already optimised?

I'll check the 2 different versions.

I don't know if they're speed adjusted, but some of the early PAL games were modified to fill the screen, instead of just "letterboxing" the display of the NTSC versions (by adding extra black lines above and on the bottom). "Combat" is another game where they adjusted the graphics to use the full PAL resolution. So if you change the timer to make them 60Hz the picture will be cropped. In those cases you should change the color values in the NTSC versions instead.

"Combat" is another game where they adjusted the graphics to use the full PAL resolution.

Was wondering what they did, so took a look. Eyeballing it, the arena increased by what appears to be 4 "rows" (the L barriers are 1 row taller, the middle section 2 rows) while the tanks and digits stayed the same.

NTSC

post-3056-0-84624400-1488306968_thumb.png

PAL

post-3056-0-84511400-1488306972_thumb.png

While the colors aren't they same, they were changed - this can easily be seen by switching the NTSC version to PAL60:

NTSC running as PAL60

post-3056-0-11283900-1488307522_thumb.png

All screenshots shown are of an active game of variation 4.