Photo

Question about the Jaguar CD

10 replies to this topic

#1 captcapcom OFFLINE  

captcapcom

Star Raider

• 96 posts

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:24 PM

Was watching the AVGN video where he tried to review the Jaguar CD attachment. He said two different systems he bought didn't work, while the Jaguar worked fine. I was looking into getting a Jaguar CD when I came across something called a Bypass Cartridge. I don't remember the AVGN having one of those and maybe thats why his systems didn't work?

my (might be stupid) question is... do you need the Bypass Cartridge to use the CD attachment?

#2 sh3-rg OFFLINE  

sh3-rg

River Patroller

• 2,106 posts
  • absent

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 PM

Was watching the AVGN video

That's where you went wrong to begin with.

A bypass, as google will tell you, is for booting unencrypted software. I don't think there's anything left that hasn't been or couldn't be encrypted (encrypted is not the correct terminology for the process, but that's the way it's usually stated).

If you want to boot 1 or 2 old demos you might want to get a bypass cart. Or you could use a free CD-bypass. Or you could just use the Jag CD out of the box and never watch crappy youtube vids again :-)

#3 rush6432 OFFLINE  

rush6432

Moonsweeper

• 313 posts

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 PM

That youtube review of the jaguar cd is rediculous. The thing didnt work because he slams the cd lid and jams discs into it. the laser mechanism itself is touchy already but the review makes it out to be worse than it really is by about 10 times...

ive owned 3 jag cd units and never had an issue with one of them. Treat the hardware nicely and dont slam the lid and dump "shit" into it along with slamming discs into it and you're fine....

#4 captcapcom OFFLINE  

captcapcom

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 PM

OK. I thought the cart was needed.

I might be getting a Jaguar soon, what games should I be looking for?

#5 GKC OFFLINE  

GKC

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 AM

I am almost glad the JagCDs didn't work for AVGN. Judging by his impression of the Jag's cartridge library him playing more titles could have gone all kinds of bad.

As far as what games to look for on the Jag:

Doom
Wolfenstein
Tempest
Power Drive Rally
Zool
Raiden
Cybermorph
Alien vs Predator
Cannon Fodder
iron Soldier
Rayman

I'm sure I missed some but those are games that are generally liked by all...... Generally.

#6 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

River Patroller

• 4,111 posts

Posted Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 PM

If you get a JagCD you can get your hands freeware by the handful.

#7 captcapcom OFFLINE  

captcapcom

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 PM

I think I will start with the base unit first. Some of those games are available at the store where I would pick up the system.

I saw two there that I never heard of. One was called Ultra Vortex (the screens on the back of the box LOOKED cool, but I didn't play it) and something called Trevor McFur in something... Looked like a shooter and I like Shooters!

#8 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 8,421 posts

Posted Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 PM

Ultra Vortek is a great (for the Jag) fighting game and shows off the system a bit.

Trevor McFur is a mediocre shooting game (still kinda fun) that shows off the graphic capabilities of the system pretty well. Just pretend there's background music or pop something in the stereo... :lol:

Raiden offers up better traditional shoot 'em up fare though, so be on the lookout for that one since you're into shooters!

BTW: some people get bent by the AVGN, but I think he's hilarious. Take the vids for what they are and realize they're meant to entertain the masses. The masses are and were never about, handling fragile electronic equipment. Yeah, on top of having bad luck, he might have exaggerated the frailty of the JagCD a bit, but the damn thing is such an easy target. Spend a ton of money and time on one, along with most of its games and you'll soon see what I mean.

The faux poop (refried beans?) near the end of his vid into the JagCD "toilet" was too much. :rolling:

Some also love to praise Minter's psychedelic Video Light Machine that's built into the JagCD, but I found I missed the ROAAAAR! of the regular Jaguar console title sequence: its rotating cube, progressive Atari letters as they're spelled out and the little "have you played Atari today" tune more than that feature or playing any of the games available on CD. Be nice if someone came up with some sort of hack that allowed the regular Jag startup when the CD unit is sitting atop. lmao

#9 jericho_21 OFFLINE  

jericho_21

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012 7:39 PM

The only time you would need a Bypass Cartridge is if you come across a game title that you would know is unencrypted. Usually it would say on the packaging that it is. :) (NOTE: That is to reiterate what sh3-rg said. Sorry. I didn't see that earlier post right away.) Anyway, you can still play encrypted discs with it. It won't hurt anything in any way. But, correctly stated, the cartridge isn't needed for encrypted discs.

Edited by jericho_21, Sun Feb 5, 2012 7:44 PM.

#10 jericho_21 OFFLINE  

jericho_21

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012 8:35 PM

There is also a Bypass CD image you can burn if you need it, plus it is free. This is just in case you come across an unencrypted title you want to play. The following URL should have the download link and burning instructions for the image:

reboot.atari.org/jagtopia/jagtopia.html

I hope this will suffice. After all, the Bypass Cart is also over $30-40.00. It can also be fun to dabble with. Thanks. :)

#11 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

Stargunner

• 1,974 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012 10:53 PM

Yep, no need for bypass carts anymore (Plus, you'll probably want a memorytrack in the cart socket instead anyway)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users