IGNORED

Poll: Is the Dreamcast Retro?

Is the Dreamcast Retro?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Sega Dreamcast Retro?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

to me any system that no longer has games being made commercially for it (Dreamcast) is a retro system, there are different levels of retro of course, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc., now as of March of 2012 i guess the PS2 will join the ranks of retro being that the final game was released for it (a 2012 baseball game) the playstation 2 is now complete.

I have to agree. My first thought was no but then I was thinking. Retro doesnt mean BAD.

Its just a look back on something and in this case yes it is and in fact when I put in a PS2 or Gamecube game today I feel like I'm looking back 10 years ago at how I played games.

Yes it is and proud of it!

to me any system that no longer has games being made commercially for it (Dreamcast) is a retro system, there are different levels of retro of course, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc., now as of March of 2012 i guess the PS2 will join the ranks of retro being that the final game was released for it (a 2012 baseball game) the playstation 2 is now complete.

I have to agree. My first thought was no but then I was thinking. Retro doesnt mean BAD.

Its just a look back on something and in this case yes it is and in fact when I put in a PS2 or Gamecube game today I feel like I'm looking back 10 years ago at how I played games.

Really? A console that had an official game release this year is retro? That's wacky.

Really? A console that had an official game release this year is retro? That's wacky.

Yeah consoles live on but in perspective you know.....

Doesnt matter, It's great, I still have 3 systems. Now if I can only find some affordable Dreamcast shells.....

I was kidding about the PS2, just saying (tongue in cheek) that it is on it's way now to being Retro (someday) all of this is subjective and really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. hell i myself am retro and love it., i cam up on Pong, 2600 and the Vic 20, but i have enjoyed most of the gaming systems since those 70s systems, guess i just love video games no matter the era.

That makes me wonder what other older systems have had recent releases officially blessed by the console manufacturer. :D

That makes me wonder what other older systems have had recent releases officially blessed by the console manufacturer. :D

Probably none, right? I mean, maybe the console manufacturer simply pays no mind, sure. But 'officially blessed'....does that happen at all for older consoles? It would take an actual act of doing something, by a corporation, for something that at least beyond any goodwill perspective stands to not profit them in the least. I just don't see that happening.

Maybe I'm wrong though....hope so. So for example: does Atari or Sega ever have even an offical corporate blog post by someone in the company saying something to the effect that 'hey, we see this homebrew is coming out....very cool! We'll have to check that out. Good luck from Atari!'. Not being sarcastic....I personally think that it would be a very cool gesture on behalf of these company's if that ever happened and in fact wold benefit them by creating a culture of goodwill towards their compan. I just don't ever see it happening.

If we're talking official, 'official' releases that are paying royalties back to the console rights holder, I'd have to say probably none there either. Gamecube and Xbox games haven't been released in years and those would be the most likely console candidates to have games fitting in this category.

So for example: does Atari or Sega ever have even an offical corporate blog post by someone in the company saying something to the effect that 'hey, we see this homebrew is coming out....very cool! We'll have to check that out. Good luck from Atari!'. Not being sarcastic....I personally think that it would be a very cool gesture on behalf of these company's if that ever happened and in fact wold benefit them by creating a culture of goodwill towards their compan. I just don't ever see it happening.

It's not quite a homebrew per se, but there's some discussion here about Super Fighter Team's request to use the Genesis/Mega Drive logo on Star Odyssey, which was denied by SOJ (but apparently approved by SOA for earlier releases). It's all a bit confusing, but the bottom line is that most companies are pretty gunshy about liability, warranties, IP control, and so forth.

I'm less clear on how Intellivision Productions feels about homebrewing. I once read a claim that they were somewhat hostile to homebrewers, but besides that I haven't seen anything one way or the other. Then again, since I haven't even been able to get them to reply to emails about an order I placed a full year ago, I'm not sure what exactly they're up to.

The Dreamcast is the system that made us figure out where the "Classic" cut off was for the Midwest Gaming Classic. In 2002, my cousin told me that Sonic Adventure was his favorite "classic" game. He was like 8 at the time, so it made sense.

I've basically believed that ever since then. Classic games are the games we have great memories of, not necessarily those that fit into some particular era or something like that. Retro games are a bit different -- retro refers to games that were made in a way or a style that isn't seen as much today... score chasing, arcade-like games to me are "retro" games, whether they are brand new arcade titles, cool score chase titles for the 360 / PS3, or whatever.

In that case, to me, the majority of the games that came out on the Dreamcast that are fondly remembered today are not the type of games that are popular today. With just a glance at my collection, the real highlights / memories are games like Marvel Vs. Capcom, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Mars Matrix, Rush 2049, Gauntlet Legends, Sega Rally, Sega Bass Fishing and so on. There are very few games like Shenmue or Sonic Adventure that are the more "modern" style of game design. So, based on that and that alone, I'd tend to say it is a more retro console.

But, I own retro games that were just released on my Xbox 360 too. It's all perspective...

you can still pick them up at garage sales and on craigslist for $10-$25. So they are just old. When the prices start creeping back up and you have to fight people on ebay to get a decent deal -then it will be retro.

Great point. If the price is still dropping, it's not a holy retro relic yet.

I still say it's Retro. It's 13-14 years old now. The VCS was that age in 1990-91. If you were still playing VCS in 90-91 while your friends had NES and Sega Genesis, would you say you're still playing a 'Current' gen system, even if you include games like Solaris and Defender II/Stargate which were comparable to the NES' (graphically) worst games???