Photo

Strangest place you've played video games

34 replies to this topic

#26 omegadot OFFLINE  

omegadot

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Sat Aug 2, 2014 11:41 AM

The Flying J truck stop near us had a respectable arcade area.  We'd stop there after school quite a lot.  Truck stops are always a little strange.

#27 Krytol OFFLINE  

Krytol

Stargunner

• 1,516 posts

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2014 1:59 PM

Around '81 or '82 the supermarket near my house had a Donkey Kong upright near the entrance/checkout. The store is still there, but now there's a Coinstar where the DK used to be.

#28 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,984 posts

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:47 PM

the supermarket by my house growing up had a tron machine. my mom wouldn't let me play it because video games were evil. by the time i was was of walking around age- it was gone. 

There were a few games around the neighborhood i would walk to. None of them were particularly strange.

Laundromat- Strider;  Final Fight

Electronic store -  Moonwalker; Neo Geo w/ Nam 75 and Ninja combat

Drug Store- Western Express 

Liquor Store 1- Double Dragon

Liquor Store 2- Street fighter 2 - which i only played once due to the constant lines - also this one kid would would handcuff everybody

Movie theater: Mr do, Aliens

#29 BDW OFFLINE  

BDW

River Patroller

• 2,806 posts

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:08 PM

Probably my uncles basement. I remember when I was about 10, he had an Atari but before I could play it I had to drink this funny drink first that made me sleepy and when I woke up my clothes were on inside out. He told me it was part of the instructions for Space Invaders but I never had to do that in the arcade. icon_ponder.gif

Reminds me of the fun times I had with my uncle and his two friends: Father O'Mally and Scoutmaster John. Nothing but wholesome, video gaming fun!

#30 Gregory DG ONLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 10,999 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:45 PM

Used to visit my nearby convenience store just to play R-Type...

Used to play my Atari 2600 and 800XL in the Mallard trailer we had in the backyard...

Used to play Dungeon Master for the ST in my summer school class...

:D

#31 Algus OFFLINE  

Algus

Stargunner

• 1,542 posts
  • Cogito Ergo Sum

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:29 PM

Hmm, by early 90s it seemed like most places had at least one machine. Some of these (gocery stores, pharmcies,etc.) don't seem real strange to me. That's where I played most of my arcade games. I lived in a small town though so there wasn't an arcade unless my parents took me thirty minutes away to the closest big town.

#32 scotty OFFLINE  

scotty

Chopper Commander

• 171 posts
  • I have, but have **YOU** played Atari today?

Posted Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 AM

If Mame counts.....  I used to drive semi a few years ago, and I would deliver envelopes to the IRS up in Detroit.   After I was done unloading, I would drive a few blocks to old Tiger Stadium (when it was still standing), and sit outside the stadium and play Mame while waiting for a load going back to Cleveland.

#33 rockyyaknow OFFLINE  

rockyyaknow

Space Invader

• 15 posts

Posted Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:11 PM

In the late 80's I remember playing one of the old sit down Pac-Man games at an old seafood restaurant in Massachusetts when my grandparents would bring us once in a while.

#34 frankodragon OFFLINE  

frankodragon

Stargunner

• 1,762 posts
  • Green dragon with a bad Sonic haircut

Posted Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:45 PM

There was a restaurant my mom and I used to go to which had an arcade room tucked in a corner near the restrooms in the back.  Anyone who never used the restrooms probably didn't ever even know there was an arcade room.

#35 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

Stargunner

• 1,740 posts

Posted Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 AM

I remember seeing an upright Asteroids cabinet in the "please-wait-to-be-seated" area of a Chinese restaurant, around 1983 or so. My parents gave me a quarter and I think my game lasted about 30 seconds. That was probably the only time in the 80s I ever saw an original Asteroids cabinet. I remember being familiar with the 2600 version, and thinking the arcade version was really intimidating.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users