Photo

Any Retro Collectors in the upstate NY area?

69 replies to this topic

#1 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012 7:41 PM

title says it all...

#2 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,149 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012 9:15 PM

Not much of a collector, but I'm undoubtedly upstate... xD

#3 birdie3 OFFLINE  

birdie3

River Patroller

• 2,047 posts
  • Atari is good.

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012 9:43 PM

Where are you, man? I am in Kingston, Ontario.

#4 Megaman Legends OFFLINE  

Megaman Legends

Moonsweeper

• 278 posts

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012 6:42 AM

I'm not in Upstate but I could easily drive there in an hour or so...

#5 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012 9:09 PM

Holding it down in the Rochester NY area. Lots of great retro stores in the area, not to mention alot of other great non video game related activities.

#6 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,149 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012 2:47 AM

Nothing out here.

#7 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012 3:57 PM

Ooo, me! I'm in Rochester!

#8 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012 9:17 PM

cool, glad to know im not the only one scanning all the old school cases in every game craze in town.

#9 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012 9:36 PM

cool, glad to know im not the only one scanning all the old school cases in every game craze in town.

What are your feelings about Game Craze? I've started to become friends with a couple of the guys who work at the one in Eastview Mall. Sometimes you'll get those teenagers who are pretty clueless about their stock, but there are other times when the people behind the counter are really cool guys.

#10 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012 6:21 AM

Game Craze IS the best retro place in town, and the people working there vary. I'm on pretty good terms with some of the people at the west side game crazes. Paul at the stone road store in greece is generally the most well informed about old school stuff, but alot of people find his personality an aqcuired taste :P . He may be lurking in this very forum as we speak...... I don't mind the clueless teenagers so much, especially when they price the games :evil: .

#11 Metal Ghost OFFLINE  

Metal Ghost

Stargunner

• 1,273 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 7:36 AM

I'm kickin' it in Syracuse. I thought Game Craze was a Syracuse only store, actually, until I went to Eastview a couple of weeks ago and saw the one there. I was bummed that I didn't get the chance to check it out though....I was walking around with my wife, girls, and mother-in-law, cousin, etc., and I didn't even try to break away to check out 'the game store'. :)

There actually used to be a really cool Game Craze on the east side of Syracuse, in DeWitt, that was in a strip mall. It was a lot bigger than their local mall store (in Carousel Center), better lit, stock better laid out and less packed in. But it closed awhile ago. Now we just have the one mall store.

So besides Game Craze, sounds like there are no other retro stores I'm missing out on in Rochester, huh?

#12 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 10:54 AM

A short list in the monroe county area-
Game craze, one in all three of the malls, and about 4 or 5 around the county
Game Players unlimited in brockport/batavia
Heckle and Jeckle Collectables in Chili, lots of crazy stuff, but his prices are laughable on most things. every once in a while something slips through, but the guy who owns it is kind of a tool :roll:
And Game On in greece.
So, yeah, I guess your missing out :-D .

#13 atariauctions OFFLINE  

atariauctions

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 12:49 PM

In the Southern Tier here, Olean NY . Not much here, but I seem to find it, when something is available.

#14 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,149 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 12:53 PM

Been over a decade since I been to the Carousel. :/ Can't get around like I used to. $.$

#15 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 4:58 PM

In the Southern Tier here, Olean NY . Not much here, but I seem to find it, when something is available.

Yeah I'm surprised there aren't more local shops down in your neck of the woods. seems like their would be a market to some degree. I guess most of this stuff goes to flea markets and garage sells down in that area.

#16 atariauctions OFFLINE  

atariauctions

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 5:39 PM

Every once in a while I will come across a good find. I been having good luck with Antique places lately. It is hit or miss with those. At one place a guy has a 2600 heavy sixer with around 15 common games and wants $200 for it. In that same place I been buying NES units with a few games and working controller, RF and AC for $29. I also have some owners who will call me up when they get something in at the thrift stores. I have also bought a lot from people in my area by posting what I want to buy on Facebook.

#17 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 6:29 PM

Heckle and Jeckle Collectables in Chili, lots of crazy stuff, but his prices are laughable on most things. every once in a while something slips through, but the guy who owns it is kind of a tool :roll:
And Game On in greece.

Game On, huh? How does it compare to Game Craze?

#18 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 8:20 PM

And Game On in greece.

Game On, huh? How does it compare to Game Craze?

It's worth checking out, they aren't quite on par with game craze. He started off as a flea market vendor and turned it into a store. He actually has some kind of years old vendetta to settle with game craze apparently. :roll: . he's got a few unique things though, he had a complete Oddysey 1 with carrying case last time i was in there. I've bought a few things from him. He usually is pretty up to date on values of things, but he's pretty reasonable on most stuff.

#19 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012 9:56 PM

Cool cool. Hey, have any of you Western New Yorkers ever thought about starting up some kind of retro video game gathering? I've always toyed with the idea...

#20 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Thu Feb 9, 2012 6:36 AM

Cool cool. Hey, have any of you Western New Yorkers ever thought about starting up some kind of retro video game gathering? I've always toyed with the idea...

This is half the reason i started this thread- to see what kind of interest such an event would get. maybe invite local vendors, display your rare items, trade/swap, that sort of thing.

#21 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,149 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:29 PM

I'd be up to one if I could get to it but that pretty much means only Niagara Falls or Buffalo.

#22 atariauctions OFFLINE  

atariauctions

Moonsweeper

• 437 posts

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 PM

I so would attend that. If needed I would host the website for the event for free.

#23 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 326 posts

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:01 AM

I so would attend that. If needed I would host the website for the event for free.

That would be excellent, as I am technologically backwards. I don't even have a facebook.

#24 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:27 PM

That would be excellent, as I am technologically backwards. I don't even have a facebook.

Hot diggity! Well, let's get this ball a-rollin'!

#25 icemanxp300 OFFLINE  

icemanxp300

Dragonstomper

• 963 posts

Posted Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:38 PM

I'm in Canandaigua. Yes Gamecraze in the eastview mall is the best place. I'm in good w/them. Traded them probably 3k in trades and another 1k in cash over the past year.

The prices they charge are kinda insane but the trade value is so huge I only sell my real high valued items now, just about everything else goes there.

They said that I needed a platinum diamond card LOL.

Got me a Snow bros from them and some awesome cibs last year.

Stop hounding craigslist, thats my home :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users